rllmuk
Lorfarius

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

1 hour ago, And said:

Yeah, it’s a bit crap* isn’t it? Reminds me of that Star Wars one from a few years back. 

I keep getting matched with guys with much bigger and better decks 

*though I’m still playing it. 

It gets easier once you work your way through the first few levels and unlock a couple of slots and some upgraded cards. 

2 hours ago, And said:

I had the same problem on a different app.

Oh, you said decks.  Sorry, I misunderstood.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, And said:

I’m like level 9 maybe, it’s slow going

I'm at ten and been doing some of the campaign stuff. 

I just like the nice model photos on the cards etc

It's all a bit of nostalgia for me as when i was younger i used to play the original combat cards in some kind of top trumps way with my grandparents when we used to do long train journeys. 

4 hours ago, Oracle said:

I’ve got this it’s not bad but strategy doesn’t come into it so far. I’m at level nine, it would be nice if you could add friends but that doesn’t seem to be a Feature just yet. 

3 hours ago, And said:

Yeah, it’s a bit crap* isn’t it? Reminds me of that Star Wars one from a few years back. 

*though I’m still playing it. 

No strategy or tactics required, with victory decided by who has the biggest, best army? In a Games Workshop product? Surely some mistake ;)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Wiper said:

No strategy or tactics required, with victory decided by who has the biggest, best army? In a Games Workshop product? Surely some mistake ;)

whoever goes first wins...

• Upvote 1

It's Aeronautica Imperialis day! Whoop whoop. Need to go and get my pre-order from the shop, but I'm genuinely excited and looking forward to figuring out what extra tiny tiny planes I should buy how to actually play it.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, And said:

whoever goes first wins...

Not quite it's the whole ranged vs melee vs physic powers.

It can be quite involved.

Maybe there are some videos on youtube that see it better than I can explain it. 

Heh, it's not quite that bad - as long as you have planned your opening line it's certainly not a problem to win from second place. I have a primaris captain as my warlord and I've found melee is the way forward, with a full melee bar I can dish out 70-90 points of damage from a single hit with him.

After eight years' hiatus I've returned to the fold, returning to the army that last brought me back to Warhammer. Well, sort of: a decade ago I returned to the wonderful world of Orcs & Goblins, starting with a simple unit of night goblins to ease myself in. I built from there, but it was the goblins I started with, and I was always fond of them - despite my crummy paintjob.

20190910_161750.jpg.a99213f8157c5acf1faf593d4ef77be1.jpg

Old, crummy image of old, crummy goblins. And some orcs. 

So, it's only natural that I would return to the fold in light of the resurgence of night goblins - or, rather, "Gloomspite Gitz" as they're now called. Ah, copyright-led naming decisions... 

Naturally I gravitated towards those angry little fungi, newly in plastic, and have painted a small herd of the buggers, alongside Zarbag's Gits (mostly not pictured - the pale pink and cyan squigs are from that set, and were the first that I painted), plus the Looncurse loonboss on giant cave squig. Which, yes, I had to pay over the odds for. With them done I've some hoppers/bounders to do (including some of my old, untouched metals), one of those fancy new plastic mangler squigs to get through, plus some supporting troggoths, because why not? And once those are done, well, there's always Forge World...

20190910_161407-1821x871.thumb.jpg.75a36339b563b3ee8ddddeb26945477b.jpg

Squigs feeling almost as angry as I am to be at work

I've limited myself to no more than 90 minutes per model (not counting priming), and I'm quite pleased with how they came out. Having experimented with both "realistic" shading (those with icky worn teeth and the like) and cartoon shading (those with white teeth and high contrast shading) I think I'm happier with the latter, so that's what I'll be aiming for with the rest of the force. I'm not building to play, but I'm looking forward to having a reasonably sized army of raging blobs! 

• Upvote 8

A mixture of triads, two-tone schemes, flat shading and thin washes, depending on the squig:

• The yellow squigs are both the same triad: P3 Moldy Ochre, highlighted with Cygnus Yellow and with a watered-down Khador Red Highlight shading the recesses. A thicker layer of Khador Red Highlight provides the orange splotches on the smaller squig (though they're not really visible in the photo). Oh, and the giant squig's tongue is just the lighter part of the triad: Cygnus yellow, shaded with Moldy ochre.
  • The orange squig is Khador Red Highlight, highlighted, predictably, with Moldy Ochre; no additional shading bar the natural sinking of orange into the recesses.
  • The pale pink squig is just a nearly wash-thin layer of Fulgrim Pink, accented with Dorn Yellow pustules (mmm).
  • The teal squig is P3 Arcane Blue, accented with old Citadel Colour Regal Blue.
  • Both green squigs are P3 Iosan Green: one applied thickly in multiple layers, one watered down and applied in a blotchy pattern (which definitely looks better/grosser in the flesh).
  • The red squig is Citadel Evil Suns Scarlet, with Citadel Mephiston Red as a highlight, and Citadel Gal Vorbak Red gums.
  • The barely visible splotchy blue squig is simply a wash of Citadel Nighthaunt Gloom (ah, lazy painting).
  • The grey squig Citadel Eshin Grey, with Citadel Russ Grey horns.
  • The purple squig is P3 Beaten Purple, the purplish-brown Citadel Gal Vorbak Red, the hot pink old Citadel Colour Warlock Purple, all applied in two layers for a flat look. More lazy painting.
  • Probably of less interest, but the whites are P3 Morrow White, the black outlines plain old Vallejo Model Color Black, and the generic claws are either Eshin Grey or Russ Grey, depending on the squig.

Of note: all were applied thin, from a wet palette, to an unfashionably white-primed base, allowing them to pop with minimum effort.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Wiper said:

A mixture of triads, two-tone schemes, flat shading and thin washes, depending on the squig:

• The yellow squigs are both the same triad: P3 Moldy Ochre, highlighted with Cygnus Yellow and with a watered-down Khador Red Highlight shading the recesses. A thicker layer of Khador Red Highlight provides the orange splotches on the smaller squig (though they're not really visible in the photo). Oh, and the giant squig's tongue is just the lighter part of the triad: Cygnus yellow, shaded with Moldy ochre.
  • The orange squig is Khador Red Highlight, highlighted, predictably, with Moldy Ochre; no additional shading bar the natural sinking of orange into the recesses.
  • The pale pink squig is just a nearly wash-thin layer of Fulgrim Pink, accented with Dorn Yellow pustules (mmm).
  • The teal squig is P3 Arcane Blue, accented with old Citadel Colour Regal Blue.
  • Both green squigs are P3 Iosan Green: one applied thickly in multiple layers, one watered down and applied in a blotchy pattern (which definitely looks better/grosser in the flesh).
  • The red squig is Citadel Evil Suns Scarlet, with Citadel Mephiston Red as a highlight, and Citadel Gal Vorbak Red gums.
  • The barely visible splotchy blue squig is simply a wash of Citadel Nighthaunt Gloom (ah, lazy painting).
  • The grey squig Citadel Eshin Grey, with Citadel Russ Grey horns.
  • The purple squig is P3 Beaten Purple, the purplish-brown Citadel Gal Vorbak Red, the hot pink old Citadel Colour Warlock Purple, all applied in two layers for a flat look. More lazy painting.
  • Probably of less interest, but the whites are P3 Morrow White, the black outlines plain old Vallejo Model Color Black, and the generic claws are either Eshin Grey or Russ Grey, depending on the squig.

Of note: all were applied thin, from a wet palette, to an unfashionably white-primed base, allowing them to pop with minimum effort.

Amazing thank you for that.

It's a shame i don't have the skill for that as i would love to do the same with my some of my remaining squigs. 

Real top-notch stuff, always been a fan of bright and bold. 

32 minutes ago, And said:

Well yes, He’s a big guy with a scythe, but there’s at least 5 other big guys with scythes in the DG lineup.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Death-Guard-Typhus-2017

Unless you're thinking of Mortarion. Who is £85 and unlikely to be given away on a £8 magazine. 

No thats the one i was thinking of. 

Damn i hope i can get a copy tomorrow at my local magazine heaven. 

7 hours ago, And said:

Well yes, He’s a big guy with a scythe, but there’s at least 5 other big guys with scythes in the DG lineup.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Death-Guard-Typhus-2017

Unless you're thinking of Mortarion. Who is £85 and unlikely to be given away on a £8 magazine. 

Was working from home today otherwise would probably have picked that up for painting. They'll all be gone tomorrow, convinced there's some ballbag goes in and buys them all to eBay, as any good issues are normally sold out if I go into the shop at lunch on Wednesdays.

You can order individual issues from Forbidden Planet.  Obviously there will be postage, but it's still worth it for a good issue like this.  I ordered it, the one with that big cool bit of scenery with a skull, and the one with the blight drone earlier today.

I'm waiting to see if a pic of my Knight will appear on the GW website in their gallery.  the official Warhammer account sent me a message requesting to use it, but I'm not 100% sure if that means they will, or where it might appear.  They have people's instagram photos on the actual page where you can buy knights, so maybe there.  If anyone sees it let me know, it'd definitely give me a thrill to see it.  :)

10 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

You can order individual issues from Forbidden Planet.  Obviously there will be postage, but it's still worth it for a good issue like this.  I ordered it, the one with that big cool bit of scenery with a skull, and the one with the blight drone earlier today.

I'm waiting to see if a pic of my Knight will appear on the GW website in their gallery.  the official Warhammer account sent me a message requesting to use it, but I'm not 100% sure if that means they will, or where it might appear.  They have people's instagram photos on the actual page where you can buy knights, so maybe there.  If anyone sees it let me know, it'd definitely give me a thrill to see it.  :)

Do you have a link to the actual model?

Congratulations that's a great achievement. Maybe they will use it in the readers section of white dwarf?

23 hours ago, And said:

Picked up this week's conquest, which is Typhus, a £25 model. :D

What issue number is it? I've tried 4 newsagents this morning and got nowt so I'm going through have to go to Forbidden Planet.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

What issue number is it? I've tried 4 newsagents this morning and got nowt so I'm going through have to go to Forbidden Planet.

Issue 54, my local has stacks of them as you can see so if anyone is struggling i can grab and post out if people dont mind covering the postage. 

Photo 12-09-2019, 10 13 24.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Issue 54, my local has stacks of them as you can see so if anyone is struggling i can grab and post out if people dont mind covering the postage. 

Photo 12-09-2019, 10 13 24.jpg

This would be splendid if you could.

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

This would be splendid if you could.

I'll grab one tomorrow for you dude PM your postal details dude and will try my best to get it out tomorrow too! (bear in mind tomorrow is Friday the 13th).