Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

10 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

You can do fairly quick, mediocre paint jobs with them. 

This is will be an improvement on slow, mediocre paint jobs for me. 

I’m hoping to get some projects done that otherwise I probably wouldn’t have the energy for doing properly. If my order ever arrived at my store that is. 

13 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

It doesn't seem possible to get a smooth coverage and tone on any kind of flat area. Tidemarks are a fact of life with them. They work better on textured areas.

You can do fairly quick, mediocre paint jobs with them. That's going to be a good thing for a lot of people. I'm finding them too weird, inconsistent, and goopy even to use them for tinting or special effects at the moment, but I'm still learning. I'm trying to do a whole Dwarf Blood Bowl team and see if they genuinely save time. The time savings are somewhat offset by how frigging awful they look and the liklihood that I will have to strip them, though. :lol:

Frustrating. 

Any pics of the Blood Bowl team?

My experience of them (previously shared in the UK Games Expo thread) led me to the conclusion that they will be a great help for those with less patience or brush skills. They will save a load of time, but they will not make you better if you already paint well. Tidemarks and overspill avoidance is hard work.

I cannot see me using them extensively, although I think they might help me with some of my pile of shame. I bought a whole bunch of Sylvaneth Dryads and Treemen ages ago. I suspect they will be a great help with those because they are nicely textured but also not very varied when it comes to colours on a single miniature. Blocking out the masses fast and leaving tidy up of the few details later might go super fast. 

28 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

I had a good go with a contrast paint today. Immediately knocked the pot over. It spills really quickly and and is a fucker to clean up and dyes your hands like baby poo.

Fuck it. Fuck everything.

I knocked a full pot of agrax over last week. 

Could you feed back to higher ups that the tall wobbly pots would be better if they were like, less wobbly? 

Or is it a deliberate sales tactic?

20 minutes ago, And said:

I knocked a full pot of agrax over last week. 

Could you feed back to higher ups that the tall wobbly pots would be better if they were like, less wobbly? 

Or is it a deliberate sales tactic?

Oh they heard my screams and curses, don't worry about that. And then I asked when we'd have some more back in stock so I can carry on and they laughed and laughed and laughed.

(joking pls don't fire me)

Top Tip: Buy the little plastic paint holder trays and put the pot you are using in the middle of an otherwise empty one. Job done (I didn't do this job)

Aaanyway. I painted some skeletons. Start simple, I thought. I just chucked it on a big standard Citadel White base, which I sprayed on ages ago. I just used skeleton horde. 

I was initially disappointed. It just seemed like that sepia one we did, but thicker. I was just slapping it on from the pot, no real care.

However, once it had dried later I could see how it had pulled away from the high points, which those washes don't. And, on the skulls, it had much more subtly settled into the smaller recesses like the brow.

So, one paint tested, one paint liked. I'm looking at the rest of the Sepulchral Guard and thinking I probably wouldn't do all of the bits of them in contrast, but we'll see. Might be a nice experiment 

My set was waiting for me when I got home from work :) . To be fair, it was missing around five of the things, but Element had emailed to mumble on about production issues, but quite honestly I'm not too bothered at the mo' - they'll turn up when they turn up!

Thought I'd try them out on some bases I've got prepared for a start - used the grey spray I got with the package...certainly doesn't give the same coverage as my trusty Halfords one, but I'm guessing it's paint as opposed to proper primer, so that's no great issue either.

Looking forward to seeing how they work!

On 18/06/2019 at 10:12, Kzo said:

Any pics of the Blood Bowl team?

Photobucket has started trying to squeeze me for cash, so I'm going to try posting from google photos instead.  I'm not sure how to do this, or if it'll work so bear with me.

This was the first mini I painted with the contrast paints.  It just looks like it's been roughly basecoated and smothered in wash to me.

9wt-LyshDE4HSdkohzetDE2D700cqVUM1FbJsdL0

And here's the full team, painted badly and not all that quickly, to be honest.

l1IN5XIl16Onnczj74EdXX1_6auDFHA4DQ7kd4vf

Whatever I tried, I never really managed to get rid of the tide marks, particularly on the yellow.  The illusion of reality is completely shattered - they don't look like dwarfs, they look like minis.  Very badly painted minis.  I think my terrible choice of colours doesn't help - The green/grey didn't turn out the way I expected it to at all, and I really should have gone for a dark colour to contrast with the yellow.  The thing is, I know I'm not a pro-level painter, but I can paint, and this is the best I could do with them.

The orange is, to be fair, pretty striking, and the brown is fine.  Perfectly passable.  The paints on the whole seem to work better on more textured areas.

I seem to be a bit of a lone voice in saying I've tried them and I don't like them though.  A spectrum of painters from people who hate painting to top level painters such as Sam Lens and Louise Sugden have been very positive.  Don't let me put you off!  Although I do think they're shit.

3 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Photobucket has started trying to squeeze me for cash, so I'm going to try posting from google photos instead.  I'm not sure how to do this, or if it'll work so bear with me.

This was the first mini I painted with the contrast paints.  It just looks like it's been roughly basecoated and smothered in wash to me.

9wt-LyshDE4HSdkohzetDE2D700cqVUM1FbJsdL0

And here's the full team, painted badly and not all that quickly, to be honest.

l1IN5XIl16Onnczj74EdXX1_6auDFHA4DQ7kd4vf

Whatever I tried, I never really managed to get rid of the tide marks, particularly on the yellow.  The illusion of reality is completely shattered - they don't look like dwarfs, they look like minis.  Very badly painted minis.  I think my terrible choice of colours doesn't help - The green/grey didn't turn out the way I expected it to at all, and I really should have gone for a dark colour to contrast with the yellow.  The thing is, I know I'm not a pro-level painter, but I can paint, and this is the best I could do with them.

The orange is, to be fair, pretty striking, and the brown is fine.  Perfectly passable.  The paints on the whole seem to work better on more textured areas.

I seem to be a bit of a lone voice in saying I've tried them and I don't like them though.  A spectrum of painters from people who hate painting to top level painters such as Sam Lens and Louise Sugden have been very positive.  Don't let me put you off!  Although I do think they're shit.

To be honest, I think you're possibly being too critical of the effect you've got on the figures. As a team they look pretty cool! Of course they're not pro-painted (and any other awful term folk seem to use), but I guess you're looking at them from a view of a non-beginner, so they're always going to look inferior to your usual standards. I think a beginner, or someone who just wanted to get paint on the things to then play them - the mission would have been more than accomplished :) . 

Personally, they look exactly as I'd expect them to look, and I reckon this is where I'd now be experimenting and using more traditional methods on top of this to refine and get a job you're happier with.

I haven't really paid much attention to other painter's views on the things - aside from the 'yeah, they're good' sort of thing. I very rarely bother to watch other people paint and have very little interest in other peoples' methods so I'm coming into them pretty fresh I guess. But I'm looking at these wondering how 'normal' paint adheres to this different stuff. Or whether I'd spray them with some dullcote and then paint on top of 'em. I'm really intrigued by them :D . 

So, if nothing else mate - I think what you've done is pretty much absolutely what these things are designed to do! Whether or not you think you've done what they should have done is a different matter, but I'm very grateful you put this pic up, as they've confirmed what I'd hoped. 

So I hope that makes you feel slightly better about it!

Thanks Joe.  Yeah, I think you're right that the results are what the paints are intended to produce.  That in itself is somewhat disappointing.  I will be going back in to do some more stuff to them to see how I can get the team looking with some transfers, highlights, and weathering (plus basing) but then you start to question whether there's any time saving.

As a matter of fact I can answer the question of whether other paints adhere to them - they do just fine!  You can paint edge highlights or whatever straight on top of them no problem.  The interesting question for me is what about the other way round?  Is there a way to paint them on top of ordinary base colours to produce interesting effects?  They are more highly-pigmented than washes or glazes, and they stay where they're put a bit more.  Perhaps they can be used as tints?  I don't know how you'd get a smooth-looking finish though.  

6 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Thanks Joe.  Yeah, I think you're right that the results are what the paints are intended to produce.  That in itself is somewhat disappointing.  I will be going back in to do some more stuff to them to see how I can get the team looking with some transfers, highlights, and weathering (plus basing) but then you start to question whether there's any time saving.

As a matter of fact I can answer the question of whether other paints adhere to them - they do just fine!  You can paint edge highlights or whatever straight on top of them no problem.  The interesting question for me is what about the other way round?  Is there a way to paint them on top of ordinary base colours to produce interesting effects?  They are more highly-pigmented than washes or glazes, and they stay where they're put a bit more.  Perhaps they can be used as tints?  I don't know how you'd get a smooth-looking finish though.  

I think using them over metallics is going to be really interesting. If nothing else, the paints have got me thinking about stuff :p 

I have 3 kill teams (approx 50 models) and 15 primaris and my goal is to paint them all with 5 pots of contrast as the main colours 

skitari will be sprayed silver, agrax, drybrush, and then have contrast cloaks. 

Marines - space wolf grey 

cults - purple skin, yellow and grey suits 

stealers - blue and purple 

elves - blue and red

Then finish off details and weapons “properly”

I’ll keep you posted on how I do. 

Got them all built and based ready for spraying 

22B00FD3-7156-4FDB-ACE0-2B4D04AB5362.jpeg

11 hours ago, JoeK said:

I think using them over metallics is going to be really interesting. If nothing else, the paints have got me thinking about stuff :p 

Here's a swatch of a few over metallics, looks pretty good: 

pic4798604.png

@feltmonkey Yellow is just a shite colour to paint, with any type of paint! I agree the orange looks good though, and they'll definitely have their uses for e.g. a load of board game minis I just want to get through quickly. I think your team will look great for the time spent once you get all the wee details in :) 

Didn't realise the latest issues of Conquest magazine was the Plagueburst Crawler, every where has pretty much sold out :( Wanted another one to go with the one I've just about finished:

The bottom plate is very ropey although no one will really see it.

59 minutes ago, martingee said:

Didn't realise the latest issues of Conquest magazine was the Plagueburst Crawler, every where has pretty much sold out :( Wanted another one to go with the one I've just about finished:

The bottom plate is very ropey although no one will really see it.

Looks great man, I'm really going to have to start weathering stuff looks so much better

Right. So I sprayed a load of dudes and just had a play. 

each of these took less than 5 minutes a piece and obviously need some metals and other details to do as well as bases. 

So while none of them are awesome or anywhere as near as good as what I can do properly, they’re going to mean things that would probably never get painted will be done and done quick and ready for play. 

Initial thoughts are positive. 

6A9AA0C0-75F5-4296-9CA4-E0CB53EF1593.jpeg

4C54767F-6FBF-4C20-A235-705688EE8512.jpeg

3CC7EC9A-6AB4-4CE6-9F2A-5D91CC46DF4F.jpeg

60FF9E04-AAB3-4889-9A7E-F65FA8A67B5C.jpeg

Oh, and the genestealer is sprayed corax white  rather than grey seer - seems to work ok 

So, early impressions on the contrast paints is that - for me at least - they do exactly what I'd hoped they do. They act fantastically well as a base coat, with the added bonus of getting into the nooks and crannies. So taking out one of the steps I pretty much always do (as in I base coat, and then deep wash). Literally, I use base coating and washing as a way to flesh out colours and work on what areas to build up, so I was testing this out with two figures I've had to do for someone for quite a while. Literally, within all of 3 minutes I have got paint on all of the figure, and I now know where I'm going with both of them - in a normal way :)

No pics at the moment, I'm afraid but suffice to say whilst I won't be putting out anything just with contrast paints on, I'm pretty confident that they'll absolutely be used as a foundation for a lot of what I paint.

Contrast Wyldwood is a fucking awesome pot of paint ;) . Out of the ones I've used - and I've only done around four of 'em - that's my fave so far. It goes on amazingly well. 

I also did a tank, but this was a quick tabletop ready one for (hopefully) a game on Saturday so only a few hours spent on it.  

I did manage a sneaky short cut 

I sprayed the bottom and undercarriage / tracks black. Then I used clear primer (which i had bought in error thinking it was grey) over the rest of the model, then just skipped the base coat, so I just started shading the primed green plastic and it’s come out fine. 

C9CB9BE0-05A2-4B59-B298-129835B634AD.jpeg

698A5E6D-2C86-4D85-A862-FBBE6302EB1F.jpeg

These are what I managed with my play with Contrast paints 

o5n5w5.jpg

The chubby ones were painted with Nazdreg Yellow and the skinny ones with Gryph-charger Grey, with Skeleton Horde horns and Fyreslayer Flesh hafts. All over the new grey primer

2ppc679.jpg

For simple organic sculpts with plenty of texture, and just getting stuff to the table  think these paints will be a godsend. Board games with dozens of minis such as Cthulhu Wars, Chaos In The Old World, The Others, Zombicide etc could look great with a much smaller time  investment :D 

2hwjr8.jpg

Edited by LyonJacques
Hopefully fixed the embeds

Contrast squig. Took about 15 minutes excluding drying time. I'm happy that I'm a good enough painter I wouldn't do everything in contrast (correcting and repainting is a PITA) but these have a place in my toolbox.

IMG_20190622_085552.thumb.jpg.d31c1ab10c22d561be0083d038a0c243.jpg

Gonna try some more stuff. Doing my Sepulchral Guard at work - the contrasts are great on small, heavily sculpted pieces of fabric but less so on large billowing cloaks with flat areas. 

Edited by Pelekophoros

Had a quick 1000 point 40k game last night. Was over by turn 3. Felt a bit bad as I totally crushed my mate. Had suggested we play 1 big unit and some bits to make it up to 1k

So he had: 

a landraider with heavy flamers carrying some hammer terminators and a chaplain. 

A venerable dread. A squad of intercessors and a captain and apothecary. 

I had :

10 cultists

a demon prince of nurgle with wings and talons 

a plagueburst crawler 

a renegade armiger warglaive

Mortarion

Played on quite a small table and he went first obliging moved forwards to shoot, missed mostly but didn’t charge, so what followed, well, It was a slaughter.

I got morty into close combat turn 1 and just started tearing his landraider a new one. I had it down to 2 wounds after 1 round of twatting it with a big scythe. 

He rolled some lucky saves to stop his terminators getting the same treatment when I rolled 18 hits and 17 wounds on them. 

Morty is Amazing in CC, hits on a 2, reroll 1’s. 

Normally wounds on a 2 or 3, reroll fails for plague weapons for him and nearby buddies. Causes -1 T to nearby enemies, causes d3 mortal wounds to anyone nearby at start of fight phase on a roll of 4+, just incredible. 

I murdered his whole force in 3 turns, he only had the apothecary left standing at the start of my turn 3. 

I would have felt a bit worse if he hadn’t previously used guilliman and predators to one shot everyone off the table at long range in a prior match. 

Up to about 3 hours and I'm further along than I was when I layered it and gave up before stripping it. I'll have to do some traditional layering on this now to finish up some bits, and I'm not mad on the flesh tone on the front, but given it's 100% contrast so far I'm really pleased.

It's up to 3 hours mainly because I made hard work of some bits and have been painting it in 10-15 minute bursts, so I reckon next time round I'd be faster. 

IMG_20190623_205712.thumb.jpg.6a5cb622d004bfb9616d05359aff9fc7.jpg