Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

For the way I paint, I think they’ll be enormously useful and I’m chomping at the bit to see what sort of effects I can did with them outside of what I guess they’re meant for. I certainly have no desire to bung on the paint and move on to the next figure!

6 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

An interesting thing from a conversation the other day was that it's actually incredibly hard to raise the bar for the top level painters. I mean, they're just so fucking good already, how do you enable them to become better? They understand colour theory, wet blending, light sourcing, air brushing, glazing, etc etc etc. There aren't really new products that can raise that level.

But what you can do is help lift the bottom, up. Some of them may stick with whatever it is they learn (whether it's Contrast paints, Quickshade, Devlan Mud or even drybrushing which a good amount of paint-snobs turn they're nose up at). Some of them may feel confident enough to try new methods, to move on. Some may even blend different approaches and just have a toolset full of stuff. It's all good.

For me, the legacy of Contrast paints might be two things. First, I can look at having a painted army as something that's more achievable given my skill levels and the time it takes me to paint to a standard I'm happy with using 'traditional' (ha) methods. Second, painting is immediately more accessible to my son and it has a chance of making the hobby more accessible to him as a result.

What I'll be really happy to see is a good contingent of the painting community just not bother with them, and to continue to put out amazing stuff that's clearly got lots and lots of talent and ability behind it.

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying. I don't think it's the paint manufacturer's job to improve the top painters. Some of them use methods that go against all conventional wisdom, and use paints in ways that would have disastrous results for most of us (I'm looking at you, Sergio Calvo!) but if you give them a new tool, they will find ways to use them to create amazing work. 

At the moment, I don't have an army I would use the new paints on, although one or two board games could be candidates. I can't afford to go all-in, and I don't know if I'd want to. I like painting for the sake of painting rather than blasting armies out at high speed. Having said that, I reckon I might try to learn Sam Lenz's method in order to potentially take on some commissions. 

I don't mean to sound negative about the paints. They're definitely a good thing. The tide marks will be something we see a lot of, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be used. It's the same as with washes and dips generally. You can get good or bad results with any kind of paints. There are always things to avoid. They're also super new and no-one knows exactly how to use them yet. 

Oddly, some people seem to have completely misunderstood the point of the paints. I saw a discussion between a couple of people over how many coats you need to apply to get a completely solid colour. "About four," the guy replied. "But you save time compared to ordinary base paints because the drying times are quicker." 

A number of folks I know who paint at the top end of things have already been able to do some cool things with them. Like everything else, they're basically just another tool in the arsenal and that's got to be a good thing I reckon.

Getting there with this, first of 4. 

Will have a check for missed bits tomorrow before varnish and grass 

33062C85-70DF-42BF-9F5D-84D8220AEFC6.jpeg

Feels like ages since I sat down and actually painted something. 

3 hours ago, Captain Novaforce said:

Homebrew chapter?

Not really. I like the space furries colour scheme but not sure I want to commit to their chapter, so I’m just painting them how I want and will just switch between wolves/vanilla/smurfs/ whatever. 

I quite like look of the salamanders but have had enough of painting green after 100 odd nurgle guys. 

11 hours ago, JoeK said:

Darran Latham's just done a quick NMM test with the contrast paints here:

This seems more of a demonstration of Latham's skill than showing any unique properties of contrast paint. There are nmm guides in the scale 75 books which aren't too different. 

6 hours ago, Cocky said:

This seems more of a demonstration of Latham's skill than showing any unique properties of contrast paint. There are nmm guides in the scale 75 books which aren't too different. 

I think it’s a case of speed for one instance (considerably quicker to get a fairly similar result to normal methods), but also tells me that they can be nicely used in other ways to do fun stuff, which was my main thought :)

When are these in shops? 

I'm thinking of picking up a few to do some of my kill teams and unbuilt primaris half of the shadowspear box. 

I reckon I'll need 

Space wolf Grey for my marines

I then need to paint:

20 Drukari - maybe green ? 

16 Genestealers - so get the light purple and then maybe yellow to do yellow and grey industrial type suits?

Oooh, and I could get a blue and do all my spacehulk stealers as well! 

Which also means if I get red I might do the terminators as blood angels too. ok, this is starting to mount up!

Will probably go for the light grey base colour for all those rather than the cream? What do we reckon? sound reasonable? then can do weapons and stuff the 'old fashioned way'

I've also got a bunch of admech that need doing but think i will stick to spray leadbelcher, nuln oil, then do the cloaks properly

Edit - balls. The blue I want and the grey spray are already out of stock to order online. 

9 hours ago, And said:

When are these in shops? 

I'm thinking of picking up a few to do some of my kill teams and unbuilt primaris half of the shadowspear box. 

I reckon I'll need 

Space wolf Grey for my marines

I then need to paint:

20 Drukari - maybe green ? 

16 Genestealers - so get the light purple and then maybe yellow to do yellow and grey industrial type suits?

Oooh, and I could get a blue and do all my spacehulk stealers as well! 

Which also means if I get red I might do the terminators as blood angels too. ok, this is starting to mount up!

Will probably go for the light grey base colour for all those rather than the cream? What do we reckon? sound reasonable? then can do weapons and stuff the 'old fashioned way'

I've also got a bunch of admech that need doing but think i will stick to spray leadbelcher, nuln oil, then do the cloaks properly

Edit - balls. The blue I want and the grey spray are already out of stock to order online. 

Sign up for the email me, but if you've a store nearby head there on Saturday morning. Out of stock online doesn't mean out of stock in stores. 

I bought a few contrast paints and a can of the primer.  I painted up a Blood Bowl dwarf with them, and it looks...  terrible.  :(

It'll take some experimenting to see how to get the best out of them, but from my experience so far, they're no miracle product.

7 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I bought a few contrast paints and a can of the primer.  I painted up a Blood Bowl dwarf with them, and it looks...  terrible.  :(

It'll take some experimenting to see how to get the best out of them, but from my experience so far, they're no miracle product.

Did you buy any of the medium that is designed for them at all? I believe it helps things somewhat.

However, as there has been a delay in stock from Element games, I doubt I'll be getting them until late next week. Honestly can't wait to experiment with them! 

Yeah, i got a bit of the medium, I'll try it out later. I'm getting really blotchy, inconsistent coverage with the yellow, and a very washed out look on the blue-grey. 

I think that some of the colours are going to be better than others. Wyldwood seems fine. I used some of it over the top of the other colours selectively into recesses, which improved matters a bit. The Guilliman Flesh seems like it might be good as well, on things like hands, if not so much on larger areas of flesh. 

The fundamentally disappointing thing for me is that I took about the same time as I usually take, to produce a miniature that's not as good as my usual stuff. However the other fundamental thing to take from it is that this was the first time I used the paints, so I hadn't got my technique with them down. I refuse to be too disheartened, and I'm sure I'll find a way to use them.

i was watching a streamer friend yesterday play with these and the biggest initial takeeaway was that he wasnt using enough of the paint at first.  but once he got into it they did look a little better. However because they're so translucent and with the white undercoat, they just looked overall terrible. I think if they were sprayed with a zenithal highlight with the primer over a black base, they may look a lot better. but the most impressive thing about Contrast paints have always been the marketing.

I just watched a video where they used them over base paints almost as tints, and that looked pretty interesting. 

But as advertised, slapping them over the base spray and expecting a decent looking army in a matter of hours? Garbage, frankly.

I can't see them working great over a zenithal highlight, at least not black to white. If you use a different colour from black to zenithal spray up from, even brown perhaps, you might get some really interesting effects. 

It doesn't seem possible to get a smooth coverage and tone on any kind of flat area. Tidemarks are a fact of life with them. They work better on textured areas.

You can do fairly quick, mediocre paint jobs with them. That's going to be a good thing for a lot of people. I'm finding them too weird, inconsistent, and goopy even to use them for tinting or special effects at the moment, but I'm still learning. I'm trying to do a whole Dwarf Blood Bowl team and see if they genuinely save time. The time savings are somewhat offset by how frigging awful they look and the liklihood that I will have to strip them, though. :lol:

Frustrating. 

I doubt I'll bother with the contrast paints. I'm still learning how to get the best results from scale colour and warpaints, adding another set of paints with very different characteristics seems like an unnecessary distraction regardless of whatever benefits they may offer.