Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

@The Hierophant

At around £20 for death guard - the nurgle faction there’s a couple of good easy to build sets :

a little tank - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Etb-Death-Guard-Myphitic-Blight-hauler-2017

Or some cool terminators and a chaos lord - https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Etb-Lord-Felthius-The-Tainted-Cohort-2017

or you could get him the codex? 

If it’s regular chaos marines then they’re waiting on updates - there are new models in the black stone fortress set. 

Doing my first ever space marine which I got with the Conquest magazine. Decided to do my first one in (what I understand to be) the traditional style. I very much regret this decision because edge highlighting is infuriating. Keep seeing bits I've missed or which need tidied up, definitely not doing the rest this way.

Tried out the Armageddon Dunes texture paint which I think is a waste of money, was very fiddly to apply and sand and rocks are cheaper. Any ideas on how to paint this (and any criticisms) appreciated.

WIP:

L2JTgob.jpg

• Upvote 6

I think it looks great, very clean as the ultra-Smurf’s like. 

Ive got a bunch of marines and no idea what to paint them as. Might just do a dark bluey-grey scheme and then play them as smurfs or wolves depending on whim.

@Captain Novaforce

loving your painting - especially the stealers - not a fan of nids but the gs cults have such character - I’ve got 10 neophytes to paint and a sprue of acolyte/metamorphs to build for my kill team - thinking will do a morf leader, a morf, 3 acolytes with all the good rock crusher weapons and/or hand flamers

still mulling over the list. 

14 minutes ago, And said:

@Captain Novaforce

loving your painting - especially the stealers - not a fan of nids but the gs cults have such character - I’ve got 10 neophytes to paint and a spruce of acolyte/metamorphosis to build for my kill team - thinking will do a morf leader, a morf, 3 acolytes with all the good rock crusher weapons and/or hand flamers

still mulling over the list. 

Thanks man, yeah I love em. It's like Alien 3 in model form.

Looking forward to the Gunslinger

IMG_20181208_110446.jpg

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, And said:

Are they from the tooth and claw box? 

Also - your de-smurfed dude makes me think of the winter soldier. 

Yeah I'll take that! The planet of my home brew chapter suffers from premature greyness. The sword bits covering the smurf Us are from Scion spare bits.

Yep, was on eBay and snapped up as some quality stuff for £30.

I was wondering is anyone has some good recommendations for a gift for my 11 year old nephew? I'm not familiar with this stuff, so though you can assist.

Apparently he's getting "Chaos Space Marines" as part of his Christmas gift, so something to complement that?

Edit: Ah I see @The Hierophant and I are in the same position! Will take a look at some of the replies from @And.

4 hours ago, hub2 said:

I was wondering is anyone has some good recommendations for a gift for my 11 year old nephew? I'm not familiar with this stuff, so though you can assist.

Apparently he's getting "Chaos Space Marines" as part of his Christmas gift, so something to complement that?

Edit: Ah I see @The Hierophant and I are in the same position! Will take a look at some of the replies from @And.

Yep. Still not much the wiser. 

It’s not Warhammer but I have already bought him Dungeonolgy as he likes reading my D&D books when he comes to stay. 

There were some good suggestions here and my first choice would be to buy him the Codex but I don’t know what he has already so think I might just get £20 voucher to go with the book. 

6 hours ago, hub2 said:

Depends on your budget. Kill Team is a small figure count game for the sci-fi side of things. It will support using miniatures from across the whole range so will play well with what he already has.

There are a couple of different starter sets at £80, but that may be too much. You could just get the rule book for £25.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, hub2 said:

This is a pretty cool chaos space marine model available to pre-order, shipping on 15th which should be plenty of time:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Haarken-Worldclaimer-2018

I don't play 40k so can't comment on if he'd be any good in the game or not, looks pretty sweet though. 

19 hours ago, Kzo said:

This is a pretty cool chaos space marine model available to pre-order, shipping on 15th which should be plenty of time:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Haarken-Worldclaimer-2018

I don't play 40k so can't comment on if he'd be any good in the game or not, looks pretty sweet though. 

He does look good, thank you. 

He he could do with a few more skulls though. 

It may be because I’m a total nerd but I’m really enjoying this interview with Jes Goodwin.  I loved his work back in the ‘90s and always relished those articles he’d write for White Dwarf about the design of something - I was actually reading the one about the first Eldar grav tank they did in an old WD when I was at my parent’s in the summer.  I love this stuff, I like knowing how things are made, the thought processes behind them, I like Star Wars but I love knowing about the special effects work, I’ve watched the making of features many many more times that the LotT films.  I love the peak behind the curtain, it’s why I make games I get to be the wizard behind the curtain.

• Upvote 3

Yesterday I took these guys to what should have been a shadespire tournament in Aberdeen but ended up just being friendly games between me and one other guy as no one else showed up.

i haven’t played much before and my guys got wrecked (once by Stormsire’s Cursebreakers and once by another Reaver warband) but I learned a lot. In particular that attacking cards aren’t much use if you don’t have cards that can get (and keep) your guys closer to the other team.

661D9027-5824-4B38-8E1E-F8D1F57031B5.jpeg

• Upvote 6