rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Windowlicker

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Can't wait for this. This year, I've only been excited about three games ; Skyrim, Portal 2 and this.

I'm hoping that they have the original theme somewhere in the mix as well.

The biggest hope I have, is that they capture the feel of the first game. It was what made it for me.

I've played it. The two hopes you have will be satisfied. :)

Can someone answer me the following question....

Will I be able to crouch behind objects without the game switching automatically to third person viewpoint? In other words, is there a separate "cover" command that switches to third person view? Despite not being able to see what's going on when hiding behind boxes/tables/cabinets etc. in first person mode, I would prefer this to a forced third person view.

Will I be able to crouch behind objects without the game switching automatically to third person viewpoint? In other words, is there a separate "cover" command that switches to third person view? Despite not being able to see what's going on when hiding behind boxes/tables/cabinets etc. in first person mode, I would prefer this to a forced third person view.

Yes, crouch and cover are separate inputs. Theoretically you should be able to play through the entire game without using the cover mechanic.

Yep, the cover mechanic works far better than you'd expect in this kind of game. I'd advice giving it a try before dismissing it beforehand, before Deus Ex:HR I was also convinced that a cover mechanic doesn't really work in combination with stealth gameplay (See: Splinter Cell Conviction where it was serviceable but at the cost of diluted stealth) but after playing the leaked beta I couldn't be more excited about it. And I love the first two Thief games, make of that what you will.

..though I really don't know why you'd want to do that.

I certainly wouldn't advocate it. The cover-to-cover moves are really useful and can span a fairly surprising distance, plus being able to lean out or blindfire is a huge help in open combat. As cover mechanics go it's pretty accomplished, I don't remember running into those inconsistencies you tend to get from second rate efforts.

I'm curious to see if Thief 4 will also be a first- and third-person hybrid.

I never understand why th first-person cover system from killzone doesn't appear more often. I think it works really well, you still get to use blindfire and such, it's just that I always feel like I'm cheating a bit (or at least breaking my sense of being in the game-world) by suddenly pulling back to a view where you can see around the corners just by paning the camera about. Part of what made the likes of thief and DX so good at stealth is that you had to use your ears a lot to suss where the patrols were, and if you did decide to poke your head up for a split second peek it'd have to be a calculated risk. Granted movement might have been a bit clunkier back then but that's been largely smoothed out in this gen.

It actually works pretty well in DX3 though - in third person cover mode, you can only look so far around a corner before having to 'lean out' (and making yourself visible to people round the corner) to peek further. Works better than I expected, at least.

Yes. it's exactly what dood says - it actually enhances the 'calculated risk' of taking a peek Vulgar Monkey refers to by making it less clumsy but still just as risky, instead of simply allowing you to unrealistically look around corners. It works really well, as you'll all see once it's released :)

Couldn't help myself but try the preview version for a few hours. Stopped and deleted it. It's fucking awesome and I left myself in quite a precarious predicament so I look forward to getting the retail copy :D Just a quick question for anyone else who tried it, did it crash for you at all ? I realise it was a press preview version/beta but I've been having problems with the latest Nvidia beta drivers so was wondering if it was that.

I got to

the bit where you have to sneak into the morgue. Let's just say I pissed off some people and now I'm finding it hard to get in there :lol: I didn't try too hard though, going to wait for the retail

It's probably your drivers because, apart from weird text in the tutorial vids and DX11 mode not working properly, it was completely stable and looked and played very much like a finished product. I hope they've used the extra dev time to polish an already awesomely brilliant game to perfection - maybe even implement some of the feedback from the leaked beta :D

It's probably your drivers because, apart from weird text in the tutorial vids and DX11 mode not working properly, it was completely stable and looked and played very much like a finished product. I hope they've used the extra dev time to polish an already awesomely brilliant game to perfection - maybe even implement some of the feedback from the leaked beta :D

I think you're right. I installed them drivers before changing hardware and all they gave me were fucking trouble. After I got all the new components the only reason I installed them was because the BF3 Alpha asked for them. Crashed during Lara Croft and The Guardian Of Light as well, bloody things, so rolled back to the previous version. (I've got an image saved of the c drive just in case)

I always watch that kinda stuff with the sound off, makes it just confusing enough to not be spoilerific usually. :)

But yeah, looks good, and the characters somehow look less stiff than in previous clips....maybe it's just hard to tell from gameplay stuff.

Only criticism I have is from the first 30 seconds.....developers always seem to fall into the trap of including scenes that demand big mobs (rioters/protesters in this case), and then seem to realise they can't get nearly enough men on screen at once and it just ends up looking a bit silly. :lol:

I really hope that this sells well, we need publishers to see that games like this can draw an audience and not everything has to be another military FPS set in the middle east.

I really hope that this sells well, we need publishers to see that games like this can draw an audience and not everything has to be another military FPS set in the middle east.

With multiplayer.

It is seriously amber, though.

Haha, that bad? I've been in the countryside for too long, almost missing the weird orange glow of a cityscape at night so I guess this might scratch the itch!

• Upvote 1