Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Windowlicker

Augmentation Guide

In the world of "Deus Ex: Human Revolution," the augmentations make the man. And in this case, the man is Adam Jensen, the head of security for Sarif Industries. After a particuarly nasty terrorist attack, Jensen is forced to become augmented to save his life. He's none too thrilled, but you should be, as augmentations give you all sorts of awesome powers as you play through the game.

Admittedly some of the augmentations are more useful than others, and having spent a considerable time with the game, we thought it proper to give you the rundown on all of the augmentations in "Deus Ex: Human Revolution," letting you know which ones are mandatory, which ones are fun and which ones are best left to the non-cybernetic squares.

A quick note about how you unlock new augmentations in the game. Completing objectives will earn Jensen experience points and eventually level him up. Every time he reaches a new level, he'll earn a Praxis point. These are basically skill points which you can use to unlock new augmentations. You can also earn Praxis points as items hidden in the world, and you can purchase them for a hefty sum at a nearby med clinic.

Cranium Augs - Part 1

Cranium Augs - Part 2

Torso Augs

Arm Augs

Eye Augs

Back Augs

Skin Augs

Leg Augs

:)

Cool. Quite a ballsy move as many games often have it as an unnecessary bulletpoint. I never played Uncharted 2, but from what I saw of others playing it, it struck me as a single player game with multiplayer tacked on. I might be wrong about this though.

It would be quite interesting to have a MP version of DX3. All those augmentations would be much like perks from MW.

woah. I'm not knocking you Sarge, but sheesh some people are going to have no surprises left when the play this..

I find it bizarre that so many people lap it all up! :blink:

Agreed. But hey, it's one way people enjoy games so is fine.

woah. I'm not knocking you Sarge, but sheesh some people are going to have no surprises left when the play this..

I thought might find the guide useful, give those who weren't sure about the title an idea of what the augs were like, etc...but your point has been acknowledged. I'll dial back the posting of info a little. :)

I'm toying with reading further into Sarge's post about the augs, but bizarrely I think that having to stick with a duff aug choice throughout the game would add to my enjoyment. Or at least would better justify Jensen's constant 'I'm annoyed and gruff' voice.

Picking the augs that appeal rather than seem most useful was the best idea in Deus Ex and similar games. Sure my ability to jump far in the original was largely redundant but I still remember the rooftop sniping sprees and jammy escapes more fondly than I would being able to carry more or aim better.

I thought might find the guide useful, give those who weren't sure about the title an idea of what the augs were like, etc...but your point has been acknowledged. I'll dial back the posting of info a little. :)

Nah matey keep posting it, I'm not clicking the link and skipping the big quotes, I just come I here becuase I'm secrety hoping we'll somehow get an announcement that it's getting released early :(

Not going to read it myself, going to go in blind and with excitement :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is it me or do the 1st person to 3rd person shifts look really jarring and... just not right.

I understand you want the transition to happen quickly but at the moment it just looks a little wrong.

Part of me wants the whole game in 3rd person but I guess that would be sacrilege to hardcore Deus Ex fans

probably means you get them straight off the bat, rather than picking them up during the game.

i fucking hope so anyway - fuck paying over the odds for the extra useless tat edition, just to have something that should be in as standard.

Same here, I toyed with the idea for the box art alone, figured it might be worth it for an extra tenner or so, and then saw GAME are charging just under £100 for it, and Amazon £90. Bloody ludicrous. I was just looking at the advertised differences between the Augmented and Collectors's ed.s and, er, you're paying an extra £30 for a figurine, an art book, and a pretty box. Screw that.

I always tell people to look at it this way: if you could only buy the extras separate from the game but for the same price would you still do it? i.e. in the example of Deus Ex 3, would you buy the figurine and art book in a pretty box on its own for £30? I know I wouldn't for 99% of all the collector's editions ever made.

Comes packaged with a short novel giving good backstory, and the soundtrack to the game (which is excellent).

And in-game commentary, which I still haven't actually turned on. Should have a commentary playthrough one of these days.

One of the best part about the Alan Wake CE was the price, worked out only being a couple more pounds than the standard edition on release.

Same here, I toyed with the idea for the box art alone, figured it might be worth it for an extra tenner or so, and then saw GAME are charging just under £100 for it, and Amazon £90. Bloody ludicrous. I was just looking at the advertised differences between the Augmented and Collectors's ed.s and, er, you're paying an extra £30 for a figurine, an art book, and a pretty box. Screw that.

The Augmented edition also contains the art book, so it's just a fancy box and figurine which at least in the video doesn't look that great with the long neck. On the PC at least the augmented edition often pops up cheaper than the standard one, only reason I pre-ordered it.

I'm buying the normal edition on Steam because I don't want to ruin (what I expect to be) a brilliant experience that will hopefully rival DE1 by stupid overpowered pre-order bonus weapons which are given to you right at the start. I'm weird like that, in New Vegas for example I got an armour and a shotgun as pre-order bonus and I refused to use or even sell them.

I'm buying the normal edition on Steam because I don't want to ruin (what I expect to be) a brilliant experience that will hopefully rival DE1 by stupid overpowered pre-order bonus weapons which are given to you right at the start. I'm weird like that, in New Vegas for example I got an armour and a shotgun as pre-order bonus and I refused to use or even sell them.

Fair play to you to be honest. Any day one DLC which goes beyond mere window dressing should be considered before use. I suppose the question is, was the game designed with the weapon in mind, so are regular edition purchasers being punished, or are special edition buyers being rewarded?