IGNORED

"Born-again fanboys"

Let us measure

So what do we call those narrow-minded fuckers who think that their system is the best and that any games on any other systems are inferior apart from maybe a handheld made by the same manufacturer as their favourite system?

Do we actually have many of those on this forum though?

[insert hilarious Soong/S0NylOlz comment here]

Fanboy is just the internet word for zealot, I think: someone who follows blindly and irrationally and defends the indefensible to the death.

The rest are just enthusiasts, aficionados, or whatever term you prefer. Getting the two mixed up displays worrying signs of being the former, or at least of not knowing many words. Davros is obviously not a fanboy but is equally obviously pissed off with the culture of a place that can so easily tar enthusiasm and/or detailed knowledge with the 'irrational nutter' brush, and needs a break from it. (The place in general, not specifically this thread.)

For myself, I've enjoyed SMG pretty breathlessly, more than any game I remember of late. I'm too moosegrinderesque in my tendancies to get too carried away for too long, though. And apparently I'm a bit of an Eve fanboy, for knowing something more than merely superficial details about the game and getting a lot of enjoyment from it despite its many faults.

I've been a Nintendo fan since the early 80s, and most of the consoles I've bought have been theirs, but that's mainly because I've always enjoyed their stuff and back in the days when having two different consoles was unthinkable (to me at least, and certainly unaffordable) I stuck with them. But as soon as I could afford it I went multiplatform with a Dreamcast and a PS2 both of which have provided me with some of my all-time favourite games - Rez and Space Channel 5 on the former, Ico, SotC, VF4Evo and Disgaea on the latter. So I'm a long-term Nintendo fan but don't consider myself to be a fanboy. Others may well disagree though! Especially as I like to play up to it like Scott. Nintendo fanboys are so much better than the others.

But just like Let's Measure, I've recently discovered the joys of Final Fantasy for myself. I only started at the beginning of this year and so far I've played I & II on GBA and III on DS, and I've really enjoyed them after years of not understanding what all the fuss was about. I've got IV to VI on GBA and all the others except XI on PS/PS2 waiting to be played. It's the mark of a great game that it's fun to play years after it came out, when whatever technical wow factors it may have had have long since become quaint and dated. So I suppose I'm another born-again FFFanboy. Having said that I finished III a couple of months ago and haven't started IV yet, so perhaps it was just a fad...

Edit: are you alright Davros? You don't seem your usual chirpy self lately. Don't leave!

Bloody hell, this has all veered a bit off-topic.

Davros SD and Scottcr: Honestly didn't mean to cause offence like. The 'worst kind of fanboy' was meant in a 'in-jokey' sense; we're all videogame fanboys here. Anyway, OP edited.

Rather than a debate on who's a fanboy or not, I was rather hoping to hear some stories about people coming late to a long-established videogame series or developer which they had previously ignored, and then absolutely bloody loving it and wondering why they hadn't jumped on board earlier.

Glad to hear Darren and Blipwoo are sharing the FF love. FFIV is definitley my favourite so far - you have to play at least the next in the series Darren! It's all very tight - great pacing (without too much grinding), great characters (spoony bards etc.) and a great team system which sees characters jumping in and out of your group throughout the game. FFVI of course is fantastic, and the story is one of the most cinematic I've experienced, but I feel it all loses focus in the second half, and it's all too easy for your characters to become all-powerful battle-mages who only need to spam Ultima again and again to win. It does have the best videogame music EVER though, to be fair.

Getting the two mixed up displays worrying signs of being the former, or at least of not knowing many words.

Its statements like the above that I do find off putting at times. This is first and foremost a gaming forum and not a linguistics appreciation society Posters vary with regards to their command of the English language. It just comes across as arrogant, I apologize for going OT.

What does it put you off? Calling people fanboys, or something else?

I'd guessed this was primarily a gaming forum, and that's ostensibly a place where people discuss games. I don't think expecting people to be able to discuss things without falling back on lazy characterisations like 'fanboy' is unreasonable in such a place. Some posters (not the OP, as this is evidently intended as a good humoured thread) fling this term about to try to quell or mock another poster's enthusiasm for something they're not keen on or have no interest in. There's a huge difference between being passionate about something and being a zealot, and throwing the term 'fanboy' around without any distinction isn't really helping this be a good place to discuss games. Again, this isn't directed at the OP's actual intention, but the thread title and the first post just serve to (albeit unwittingly) lump enthusiasm in with dead-brained zealotry. Hence Davros' overreaction. The principal reason I posted in it was, I suppose, to sympathise with Davros' overreaction and to express a measure of sadness that the term is so over- and badly used these days, and here of all places. So, yeah, I posted because I was aware this place was a gaming forum; oddly enough, it wouldn't be much use to a linguistics fanboy.

If, on the other hand, I was posting to be an all-knowing grammar Nazi I'd have picked you up for failing to apostrophise 'Its' and wrongly capitalising 'Posters', but I don't think I've ever indulged in such pointless and snobbish behaviour. But yeah, ok, go back to thinking people who enjoy something are 'fanboys', and I'll go back to studying the contents of this dictionary for ways in which to trip people up linguistically on a gaming forum - because expressing an opinion on the usage of a term is so obviously that, eh?

Was it this forum or Edge that used to have the funny subtitle?

What does it put you off? Calling people fanboys, or something else?

If, on the other hand, I was posting to be an all-knowing grammar Nazi I'd have picked you up for failing to apostrophise 'Its' and wrongly capitalising 'Posters', but I don't think I've ever indulged in such pointless and snobbish behaviour.

Mr King you have just proved the point I was trying to make with the above statement. Anyway with regards to myself its all about gaming that why I come here so I shall retreat for today. Have a pleasant evening gentlemen.

Although I aught all 150 on Blue when I was about 14, I've never really got into a Pokemon game again properly since they put in all the additional features that make it really complex (breeding, natures, abilities, shineys, ev training), though I have owned them all. However since Pearl came out I have gotten insanely addicted again, I find myself reading guides to base stats, designing ev spreads, creating endless pokeradar chains, breeding endless eggs and buying the old games again to work on my pokedex (404 seen, 371 caught atm). It's fucking wicked