CoD4 Multiplayer Discussion

Timmo

Not played this for over a month and once again forgot how amazing it was! My first game was a 24-2 on Creek getting me 3 choppers, I think the time away helped gt back that feeling of respect for the opposition. Always stay alive for much longer when I have that even if I don't get quite as many kills.

• 3 weeks later...
Why does everyone hate Chinatown? It always gets skipped. It's basicallya reskinned Carentan which was one of the most popular maps on CoD2 PC and it's awsome.

I don't quite get the chinatown hate either. I like it quite a bit, and hardly get to play it as it ALWAYS gets skipped. I suppose it suits all the ways I play though - holing up in a window to pick off stragglers; going stealthy, zipping through the dvd shop basement into the alleyways at the back of the map; getting up close with the shotgun.

You can even get on the grassy verge and snipe.

Worst maps - Bog, which is ok in certain modes but in Sabotage especially is just horrible, Showdown which should be a 3v3 map at most but is inexplicably in the regular playlists, Shipment obv, and Wet Work which is just an utter disaster of a map. Oh, Ambush is a bit crap too, especially in Domination where one team almost always ends up pinned in the corner where A is. It works quite well for S&D though. The other popularly hated one, Bloc, isn't all that bad really, it's just too symmetrical and repetitive. 90% of games are exactly the same on it.

I am odd though in that Countdown is one of my favourites. I used to totally dominate on that map (unheard of for me), until most people learned how to play it properly instead of running about in the open.

• 7 months later...
Why does everyone hate Chinatown? It always gets skipped. It's basicallya reskinned Carentan which was one of the most popular maps on CoD2 PC and it's awsome.

I think all of the new maps suck. I actually deleted the DLC content of my 360 so I could guarantee I'd never end up playing Chinatown or Creek. It seems to be the case that all DLC maps never match the starting maps, true for Halo 2 and 3, and most certainly true for COD4.

• 3 weeks later...

I love Broadcast for TDM.

If you can hold the upstairs balcony area, you can rack up loads of kills as you can cover most of the exits from the rest of the building, people coming in from the roof, even people who take position on the grassy bit just outside. A few well-positioned claymores, then using yourself as a human claymore (going prone just where you would plant a claymore) is great fun.

There is plenty of opportunity to move within that area too, so you aren't hugely vulnerable to grenades thrown up at you. You are only really concerned about snipers in both of the outside houses, but if your team has control of those, then you're good to go.

Broadcast is brilliant when you have a headquarters that is located in the central TV room - bullets fly from every direction and it is wonderfully chaotic. The outside areas leave alot to be desired for though - to much wide open space can lead to a killing ground if a couple of good players are holed up in he building outside.

Guest JDLWL

Back on XBL after months of absence (not my decision), but COD4 seems a much improved experience online. Mainly hitting hardcore games, but not hearing anywhere near the levels school boy bullshit as before. Don't know where they're all playing now, but COD4's good fun again.

Their still around, those annoying american kids and some adults as well, bitching and moaning. I usually find them on TDM. Nothing is more satisfying though than nailing them with a headshot or a quick stab to the back of the head. Brilliant.

Guest JDLWL
Their still around, those annoying american kids and some adults as well, bitching and moaning. I usually find them on TDM. Nothing is more satisfying though than nailing them with a headshot or a quick stab to the back of the head. Brilliant.

Yeah I found one the other night bitching about how everyone sucked but him throughout the game. At the end, he was mid-table.

Also, agree with the varying standards at different times. Gone from v. difficult games where I've been well and trully pwn3d to games where it's like I'm invincible. Again, not so much in harcore though - generally pretty good standard there.

Right, I've been playing this all week at my mates house (PS3), and have just ordered my own copy for the 360.

Simple, if noobish, question: can you turn off the stupid mumbling microphone comms?

My mates ps3 version comes up with the 'press x to mute' after matches (i think) but doesn't seem to do anything, nor does turning down the slider in options.

Tbh it's not that annoying, but doesn't really add anything.

Having said that, I dunno how the player base varies between consoles.

As far as actual play goes, I've only seen one instance of mass grenade launcher spamming so far.

Maybe not incredibly organised teamplay, but better than expected for random joins.

Not jumping around per se, but sometimes from their point of view it looks like I didn't get any shots off, or went wide(er).

There's no obvious glitching back and forth like when you get the connection interrupt error popping up.

Actual movement is always smooth. Though the last time I saw glitching around the map due to lag was back in the days of counterstrike etc on pc; I'm not too au fait with modern multiplay.

Right, so my goty edition didn't come with a code for free maps. Apparently this isn't unheard of.

But the site where the code has to be intput has been down for a while anyway.

So do you reckon I should wait it out, bitch at someone, or just download the damn things myself?