IGNORED

The £25 Game Challenge

deKay

Well, since flogging most of my machines (a US PS2 being my only console now, and I have all the games I want for it really), the PC is my outlet for gaming, and it's always been generally cheaper to pick up the big releases.

Although I hope I'm not the only person who does this (otherwise I'm just really sad), I tend to always pick up the big games on launch, flog them to get the next big thing and then a few months later pick them up again at a lower price.

I swear, there are some games that I've bought about three or four times over the years...

I honestly can't remember the last game (DS aside - I don't think I'll ever tire of Pokemon and Phoenix Wright games) I bought at launch, these days I just find £40+ an incredible amount of money when you consider how much it'll cost in a couple of months' time.

In fact, seeing as though I don't yet own a 360 or PS3 and not much on the Wii really takes my fancy, most of my purchases are in deals at GS or Game - the 2 for £20 offers, that sort of thing.

Having said that, it's looking pretty likely I'll be getting Mario next week...

Got mine for 25 quid from Virgin, think its gone up now though.

I like the idea, 25 is a realistic price, i picked up VF5 today in game with get it for 20 quid with the "get it for 20 quid when buying anything else" deal. Picked up a 2nd hand fifa for 3.99, and VF5 was mine for a total of 23.99.

Whaa?! Someone in the Bargains thread said that this offer had ended. Is it still on? Will it still be on tomorrow?

So, anyone fancy joining me in The £25 Game Challenge?

Welcome to my life. Although my limit is £20. Still, good things come to those who wait.

I think there's only ever been a few exceptions in the last few years: Orange Box, Ico, Banjo-Tooie and Resident Evil 4. And even then I never paid more than £25 for each. Having said that, Super Mario Galaxy might be the next one to break that self-imposed limit.

Personally, since I've not paid more than £30 for a game since the Dreamcast import release, and I buy very few games anyway, I don't really feel the need to monitor the price of the games I buy so strictly.

Maybe a better challenge would be to drastically reduce the amount of games you buy - it would pretty much lead to the same results as this challenge, and the games you do end up buying might recieve even more attention than usual?...

Maybe a better challenge would be to drastically reduce the amount of games you buy - it would pretty much lead to the same results as this challenge, and the games you do end up buying might recieve even more attention than usual?...

I've already reduced the amount I buy quite substantially. In 2005 I bought over 200, in 2006 around 80, and this year, about 50 so far - the majority of which have been VC and XBLA titles.

The thing is, games I miss at around launch I rarely end up buying at all unless they're fantastic and found waaaay cheaper, so not being able to buy most new-release games (as most are over £25) will result in fewer games bought anyway.

I'm in.

Mind you, I am pretty good anyway. I haven't paid full-price for a game on launch day since the Wii was released and I picked up Zelda TP. Almost all of my games are pre-owned in one way or another. Either through forums, Gamestation, ebay (although I use it a lot less these days) or amazon marketplace, etc.

A CEX has recently opened in Luton near where I work which has been fantastic for a few cheap games!

Cheers,

Ryan

i've skipped the £25 mark altogether and now set myself the £10 Challenge.

because i don't own any of the new systems i hoover up old Xbox and GC game for pennies. last week i got Buffy (the superior first one), CounterStrike, Psi-Ops and Metal Arms: GitS in Gamestation's 4-for-a-tenner thingy. it's either there or Crack Convertors for cheap GC games.

it looks like i'll be getting a 360 after Christmas, so again i'll be able to get a lot of it's back catalogue on the cheap.

my only concession to the dreaded £25 limit will be games for the DS and PSP. the DS is covered on imports but thanks to PA being spastics, cheap Japanese PSP games may be harder to get hold of (yes i know it's region-free, but i like my JPN PSP games).

my only concession to the dreaded £25 limit will be games for the DS and PSP. the DS is covered on imports but thanks to PA being spastics, cheap Japanese PSP games may be harder to get hold of (yes i know it's region-free, but i like my JPN PSP games).

Yes Asia still sell PSP games to the UK, don't they?

I've had this attitude to games for a LONG LONG time - but I do occasionally break it.

There's little-or-no-way I'd EVER pay £50 for a game tho - it's a fucking ludicrous sum and there's no reason whatsoever to pay it - none at all.

I did buy Metroid 3 on release - £33 but I saved £3 by pre-ordering and I traded in games for the rest (which were £22 for cash) so technically I didn't "pay" over £25 ;)

Mario Galaxy will be the same deal - but otherwise I'm already in the £25-or-less club and have been for at least 2 years :D

You have to balance things out a bit - I paid £22 for Hellgate and I'm enojoying it - but in the last couple of weeks I've picked up things like The Red Star, Gauntlet Seven Sorrows and a few other random titles for £3 or £4 each - which makes Hellgate look damned expensive given that, whilst they're not Grade-A titles - it's hard to be disappointed for £3 or £4!!!!

WoW and TBC cost me over £25 too ofc. - but they also cost me over £200 in subs and yet, as I bought almost no other games in the 2 years I played that, it was probably the best value game I've had!!

p.s. I have to field the 2nd-hand issue too

IMO, there is NO good reason not to buy games 2nd-hand either.

The shops I buy from offer warranties against damaged discs but I've only ever had 1 problem (a DC game which, despite looking MINT, stuttered and died) anyway - and I don't care if the box/instructions are a bit tatty and nor should you.

As for the 'depriving developers' nonsense - it's just that, nonsense - anyone with half-a-brain can debunk the concept - unless you believe that every penny that people geat from selling/trading in games - isn't spent on more games...

As for the 'depriving developers' nonsense - it's just that, nonsense - anyone with half-a-brain can debunk the concept - unless you believe that every penny that people geat from selling/trading in games - isn't spent on more games...

The reason to buy games first-hand is to pledge more than financial support. If more people buy Game X, Game X may get a sequel. Naturally, you could by GTA IV second hand and you won't make a difference, but buying Beyond Good & Evil second hand would have possibly contributed to any plans for more being shelved. Buying some games is like voting.

And naturally, buying indie games from smaller developers second hand is depriving the developer, as even if the money goes on more games, it won't go on their games.

The only difference between buying 2nd hand games and piracy, is that the latter doesn't make the retailers rich from something they didn't create.

Well no, that's not true. Second hand games do, as trjp says, result in money being pumped back into the industry. Most games you buy second hand in Game are likely to be trade ins rather than sold to Game for cash. Even if only one in four second hand sales result in one new purchase, it's still up from piracy.

But that's an age old discussion and would inevitably be countered by those who say that piracy creates word of mouth and therefore more sales. Big circle of useless discussion.

I've had a £20 limit for ages now, it works pretty well. I stopped buying full price DVDs too and now don't spend more than £8 for anything. That's working out even better. You don't miss out on anything much, you're just 6 months behind everyone else with all the 'must have' titles. I'd rather be rich than fashionable though so that works out fine.

I've had a £20 limit for ages now, it works pretty well. I stopped buying full price DVDs too and now don't spend more than £8 for anything. That's working out even better. You don't miss out on anything much, you're just 6 months behind everyone else with all the 'must have' titles. I'd rather be rich than fashionable though so that works out fine.

I've set myself a limit on DVDs of £6 or a 3 for £20 offer if there's three films I want. I'd save loads if I did this on games too.

You know it's £25.80 at Game using Quidco (11%) and the code TINSEL (£3 off), yes?

Plus £1.65 in points back too, so £24.15 :(

I got it for £23-ish as I had some Game points to spend as well.

Hang on, you big cheat. You can't discount the points value both when they are earned and when they are spent.

Eh? I spent £5 of points that I already had. I get £1.65 worth of points back after buying it - I didn't spend the same points twice.

So, £32.99 - £3 - £5 = £24.99 before we even go into Quidco and more points back.

Points earned = £1.65.

Quidco is 11% of (I assume) £24.99 = £2.75.

Cost of game is therefore £20.59, assuming everything works out. If not, then £24.99 is still less than £25 ;)

Oh, and it shipped this afternoon!

Eh? I spent £5 of points that I already had. I get £1.65 worth of points back after buying it - I didn't spend the same points twice.

I think he's referring to the likelihood of you doing so with any future purchase or having done so with a previous one. You've used an existing £5 of points, plus a newly acquired £1.65 on the purchase. If you then use those points as suggested in your opening post on the next game, or had already deducted that fiver from any previous purchase, you'd be doubling up.

I think he's referring to the likelihood of you doing so with any future purchase or having done so with a previous one. You've used an existing £5 of points, plus a newly acquired £1.65 on the purchase. If you then use those points as suggested in your opening post on the next game, or had already deducted that fiver from any previous purchase, you'd be doubling up.

Oh, yeah. Well, in this case it makes no odds, but I'll be sure to bear that in mind for future £25 Challenges! ;)