IGNORED

The £25 Game Challenge

deKay

Games aren't cheap, are they? Especially if you don't bother shopping around, and just pop into your local Game on release day and pay £50 because you're too lazy or impatient or ignorant or rich. And, when you buy as many games as I do, that's a lot of wasted pounds.

So I've decided: I will no longer pay more than £25 for a game.

It's actually not as big or bold a statement as it seems. I always shop around as it is, and don't remember the last time I paid more than £30 for a game anyway, but now I'm making it a fixture in the game buying process. Hopefully the pay-offs will be three-fold:

1. I will save money (obviously)
  2. I will, in a very small way, be protesting about the high cost of games
  3. I won't buy so many launch-day games that I don't play for months

The latter in particular is a big thing. If I pay £40 at launch, and then don't play it for six months, the chances are the price will have come down. OK, so I run the risk of never actually buying the game, but that's better than the risk of buying it and never actually playing it, yes?

However, there will be some exceptions to this £25 Rule:

• If I have loyalty points, gift vouchers, store credit, etc. then these don't count in the £25.
  • If the game is, say, £30, but is in a "2 for £50" offer, then the price counts as £25 if I buy both.
  • For games that include extra hardware (Guitar Hero III, for example) I am allowed to pay over £25, but never full price.
  • Any postage costs are not part of the £25.

So, anyone fancy joining me in The £25 Game Challenge?

Play-asia is your friend :)

It is - in more than one way. Cheap prices, and the ads on my site provide me with plenty of store credit :wub:

Buy them second hand from Blockbusters. I tend to pick most of my 360 games up (bar the must haves) for around £20 a few months after release. Is it killing the games industry? Who cares! Don't make them so expensive!

Second hand?

What?

GERMS man, GERMS :wub:

But them second hand from Blockbusters. I tend to pick most of my 360 games up (bar the must haves) for around £20 a few months after release. Is it killing the games industry? Who cares! Don't make them so expensive!

I hate blockbuster even more than paying full price.

Also I'd rather buy them cheaper from an actual shop than 2nd hand - I prefer the makers of the game getting the money at least a little bit more directly.

Almost veering off-topic but I honestly can't see how someone can buy a game on launch and then not play it for 6 months..... how... why!?!

If I buy a game on launch at full price it's because I can't wait to play it and rush home to rip the shrinkwrap off and stick it on my telly, my brain can't cope with the concept of someone calmly putting a freshly purchased game away in a cupboard somewhere upon returning home.

Enlighten me...

I can never resist buying stuff at launch. Importing keeps the prices down a bit (even with postage) but not that much. I love the 'shared experience' thing when everyone gets a game around the same time.

Yeah this is me but I sometimes can't even bother to run the risk of delays with shipping on import, I almost rather buy it on release day and at least that way I know i've got it on that day.

But then yeah, I'm also paying full price... :)

What about rentals? is that popular in here? Then you technically never spend anything on a game (but then also don't own it...)

I've been doing this challenge for years. However I do pay, on occasion, up to £30 but only if it's a must have title like Oblivion or Half Life 2 (although, thinking back to it, I don't think I payed £27 and £25 for those actual titles respectively)

Now, can someone find me a £25 copy of Halo 3?

I love the 'shared experience' thing when everyone gets a game around the same time.

Bingo.

Super Mario Galaxy is out next week, and the forum is going to be full of people becoming like little, innocent kids staring in wide eyed wonder at the delights within, if the reviews are anything to go by. It's hard to resist being a part of that.

Some games come with their own zeitgeist as part of the package. I never bothedered buying Animal Crossing for the Cube because although I'm sure I'd enjoy it, the forum talk had long subsided. Along came the DS version, and it was ace.

I never buy a game full price. Ever. Last time I came close was Mario Kart GC - but that was only because by buying it I could send off for the Zelda Collectors Disc thing. Even then I paid £35.

I'll no doubt buy Smash Bros Brawl on release, but I'll hunt it down for less than £30 on the interweb.

What about rentals? is that popular in here? Then you technically never spend anything on a game (but then also don't own it...)

I have no time to play games anymore, especially now I'm in work, so I got a code for 3 months free at LoveFilm and have been getting some Wii games through that. Good service so far.

I'd have to make exceptions for the big stuff. Gotta have the likes of Halo 3 on release day.

£25 is a nice price. Not too cheap to mean you're going forever without buying anything. I recently got Juiced 2 half price after predicting it would drop like a stone and deciding to wait.

One other tactic I'm going to employ is this though. If I allow myself one brand new release a week I'll be spending between £120 and £160 a month on games. That's just about within limits but I don't always want a brand new game every week, so I'll look for something a bit older that will be cheaper when there's nothing new I want. Maybe something on DS or PSP that I hardly buy for. That will bring the monthly total down.

I don't buy many games, and I'd already set myself a limit of £20 for new games, with similar conditions on trade-ins etc to the ones you have. I've broken it twice recently: once for Super Paper Mario, once for Super Mario Galaxy, though I've managed to get both for under £25 each. I might raise my limit to £25 too.

Almost veering off-topic but I honestly can't see how someone can buy a game on launch and then not play it for 6 months..... how... why!?!

I don't know! I get it, play it for a few minutes, then decide I'll wait until I've completed $Current_Game, then... don't play it.

Good idea in theory but Mario is £30 at least and there is no way in hell i'm not getting that on day 1.

£28 at PowerPlay.

Also, quite a few people got it pre-ordered from Game with double reward points, Quidco and a voucher, making it about £23.

Good idea in theory but Mario is £30 at least and there is no way in hell i'm not getting that on day 1.

Got mine for 25 quid from Virgin, think its gone up now though.

I like the idea, 25 is a realistic price, i picked up VF5 today in game with get it for 20 quid with the "get it for 20 quid when buying anything else" deal. Picked up a 2nd hand fifa for 3.99, and VF5 was mine for a total of 23.99.

This is pretty much what I've been doing for a year or two now. I make the odd exceptions for excellent games which I want on release day (I'll be paying full price for Mario Galaxy next week), but I generally aim to pay no more than £20 for games I want, and if I wait until after release I can usually find them at that price one way or another.

However, there will be some exceptions to this £25 Rule:

• If I have loyalty points, gift vouchers, store credit, etc. then these don't count in the £25.
  • Any postage costs are not part of the £25.

Your scheme would make a whole load more sense if you got rid of these two exceptions, and raised the limit if necessary instead.

• If the game is, say, £30, but is in a "2 for £50" offer, then the price counts as £25 if I buy both.

Corollary: you've got to want them both. No filler title to justify big purchase.

I like it in principle, but I too am a launch day addict, for myself and for the sense of community it brings. I'll try my best, though there are always going to be exceptions.