Akira live action - Taika Waititi to direct - May 2021

Don Rosco

TBH, Guyver's aged pretty badly, and the new show looks like it's got a 2p budget a lot of the time, and is STILL a pointless thing to do, since they wrapped it up in one season.

Fucking hate shows like that.

Guyver: Dark Hero, however... it's fucking classic, man. From David Hayter's constipated face to the cool (considering the budget) Guyver CGI and the awesome fight at the end.

the original anime never finished, the new remake only goes up to the first appearance of the gigantic guyver, there is loads of stuff after that, so it wasnt wrapped up in one season, but thats another discussion.

but once again, let me say, please god no, do not let a live action akira take place.

the original anime never finished, the new remake only goes up to the first appearance of the gigantic guyver, there is loads of stuff after that, so it wasnt wrapped up in one season, but thats another discussion.

but once again, let me say, please god no, do not let a live action akira take place.

Oh, I know. It's a typical anime thing to do with anime based on manga. Either STOP or make up a load of bullshit for an ending.

• 3 months later...
It looked lovely... but yes, it was shit.

But then, the original anime was shit too.

I was duped whilst in Tower Records in Fukuoka, saw the 4-5min advert playing on a big screen and bought a copy then and there. Turns out the 4-5min montage was the all of the best bits (aren't they always) and it hasn't been watched since.

But Akira live action :rolleyes: , is it going to work? Or will it be shit too?

I was duped whilst in Tower Records in Fukuoka, saw the 4-5min advert playing on a big screen and bought a copy then and there. Turns out the 4-5min montage was the all of the best bits (aren't they always) and it hasn't been watched since.

But Akira live action :wub: , is it going to work? Or will it be shit too?

If Leo is indeed involved? Sounds like hollywood will butcher it.

According to Wikipedia (but not anymore) it was Di Caprio for Kanada and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Tetsuo (who could be alright). It shouldn't be to hard for them to get the bikes right, but there's no way they could do the big goo ending with real people. Although I'd love to see them try.

I read on the BBC site that diCaprio was set to produce this, if this is true I'm glad they've opted for such a high profile 'producer' ^_^

When you write 'producer' like that, are you implying somehow that he's not the producer?

Because he is the producer, so you can cut that out right now.

Nah, I was just sticking you for a fight. I do it to everybody, mainly because I'm an arsehole.

I don't really know what a producer's role is, but I guess he's been an actor enough to know roughly how the bits fit together in a film? After films like Titanic and Gangs of New York I bet he has some idea of what it takes to organise large scale CGI set augmentation and stuff like that.

I guess it's all about who you know in Hollywood, and DiCaprio must know quite a lot of the right people by now. Maybe that's all it is? My only concern is the source material, as I can't decide whether I want the film to explore and stick to the philosophy of the manga (which is profound only in a shallow, Matrix-y kind of way, yet kinda compelling to my brain) or whether I want it to just go nuts with motorbike light-trails and physic child battles and armies and teens wearing capes and a giant fucking baby tearing shit up.

It's a moral maze, I tell 'ee.

Nah, I was just sticking you for a fight. I do it to everybody, mainly because I'm an arsehole.

Fair do's.

I used to think the producer has to 'bring it all together', the schedule/planning, finance/wages, insurance/licences for locations etc (plus more tings I can't think of atm), but not so sure now.

Anyways, I thought that with a live action remake of such a massive film, he would be setting himself up for a fall. I don't mean to sound pessimistic with this, but I loves Akira I does - and I just can't see it working, especially having it set in Noo Yawk.

Wasn't there supposed to be a NGE live action too, with James Cameron or something like that?

• 8 months later...
With the recent news that this is being set in "New Manhatten" then it's officially been confirmed as being a big pile of fucking cock.

New Tokyo now. In the film, Japan buys what's left of New York to accomodate the population overspill. Kinda the wrong side of the U.S. to be convenient, but there you are.

neogaf thread, with link to script review

They're actually being incredibly faithful to the original, despite the obvious problems.

Kaneda and TRAVIS

STOP GETTING IT FUCKING WRONG!

"I know, lets take one of the most recognisable characters in manga/anime since Akira actually came out, and change his name to fucking TRAVIS"

tetsuo7sv.jpg

"Hello! My names Travis, nice to meet you!"

Kaneda111.jpg

"TRAAAAAAAAAAAAVIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"