rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Don Rosco

Akira live action - Taika Waititi to direct - May 2021

On 24/05/2019 at 22:52, Festoon said:

Terrible decision. Waikiki hasn't got much of an eye. All the stuff he shot on Ragnarok is pretty standard - there's a clear difference in style to the actuon sequences when the vfx houses take over.

Akira, if it HAS to be live action, NEEDS a visual director.

Who exactly do you think delivers the brief and signs off on VFX sequences? Productions don’t just hire a VFX house and let them make it up. On big films like Ragnarok there can be anywhere between 2-5 different companies working on the same scenes.

17 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Who exactly do you think delivers the brief and signs off on VFX sequences? Productions don’t just hire a VFX house and let them make it up. On big films like Ragnarok there can be anywhere between 2-5 different companies working on the same scenes.

The MCU films frequently get criticised for the way that the stunt action scenes and CGI sequences are planned and executed by a group of pre-vis artists and second-unit directors, sometimes even before the main director gets hired.

Even when the directors want to have a strong hand in the action, they're sometimes told no. One of the directors offered the Black Widow movie says she turned it down because Marvel told her they'd be handling the action:

https://www.slashfilm.com/black-widow-director-lucrecia-martel-marvel-action-scenes/

Compare that to people like James Cameron, the Wachowskis, Zack Snyder, Brad Bird or Chad Stahelski and David Leitch. They use second unit directors and all the pre-vis tools, but they tend to get credit for their distinctive action direction in a way that the MCU directors don't.

The Marvel action scene I often point to in defence of the MCU's action is the bit in Avengers when Hulk jumps onto the SHIELD jet. It's possibly my single favourite Marvel action moment, and I always say it's a case of Joss Whedon, who people dismiss as a "flat shot-reverse shot TV director", delivering a better action moment than the equivalent plane jump in Man of Steel by "visionary action director" Zack Snyder. But of course I really have no idea if Whedon came up with that bit himself, or if someone else contributed it. (I think it's safe to say he wrote the line "target angry!" though!)

@Festoon is right in saying that Taika Waititi is one of the directors who has benefited from this Marvel process: he's talked about how they gave him a lot of flexibility to improvise comedy and dialogue, even when heavy special effects were involved:

https://nfts.co.uk/blog/thor-ragnarok-director-taika-waititi-has-nfts-students-stitches-his-hilarious-informative

However I'm surprised to read @Festoon's comment that Waititi doesn't have much of a visual eye, given that in my experience Thor Ragnarok is one of the Marvel films that's received the most praise for its distinctive visuals. Maybe not for its camera angles, but for its lavish colour palette (in contrast to the concrete grey of the Russos' films) and all those Kirbyesque geometric lines. Should we credit him for the film's look, or the concept artists and production designers? By asking that, we're getting into auteur theory... :omg:

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

Should we credit him for the film's look, or the concept artists and production designers? By asking that, we're getting into auteur theory... :omg:

For those awesome ultra slow motion shots, we should thank Stu.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/98828190/the-kiwis-who-have-invented-a-way-of-stopping-time-in-film-at-least

f5af71c1137844c241729adfac7df9f8.png

• Upvote 1

On 25/05/2019 at 02:13, ZOK said:

Winding Refn or Harmony Korine.

Harmony Korine's AKIRA has a nice ring to it.

An anime series seems like the only way to do it. A movie is by definition too short to contain that big epic story unless they do a 'best of' of sorts, like the anime movie, and a live action series just won't have the budget to visualize the massive set pieces of the manga. An anime series with Otomo himself involved has the potential to be all kinds of awesome, however.

And also - imagine if there could be a spin-off videogame. Cel shaded GTA set in neo-Tokyo with biker gangs and Testuo going rampant. PUT IT IN MY EYES AND MY HANDS.

• Upvote 3

Or, and bare with me on this one as it's a little crazy, that could scrap the whole fucking thing and leave Otomo to do his 4K remaster and series

• Upvote 2