Waffles Invites

ThreeHeadedMonkey

Okay, I'm now a proud Waffles.fm member (many thanks!), but I want to know how to keep my ratio up. I was on Oink for about a week before it got shut down. With all these small files it's impossible to build a ratio by merely seeding downloads alone, by all accounts.

It's a breeze if you can establish a decent upload before you start downloading. Surely with Waffles there must be stuff you have in your collection that's not uploaded yet?

I started with a few variations (FLAC, 192, VBR etc etc) of rare CDs and then a few unknowns and requests in VBR and FLAC formats and in one weekend had something ridiculously high ratio that meant I barely had to put in an effort to do any fresh rips for two years and buffered it with reupping stuff which had slipped off the site and into the requests section.

Spend a few hours uploading as much quality material as possible and you will barely have to lift a finger for the rest of the time.

Jumping on random stuff just because it's popular never ever ever worked on OiNk. I remember snapping the last track of many an early release and barely even managing to get to a 1.0 ratio for one bloody song when there were thousands leeching.

Hold da mawfuckin phone.

Everyone on the site gets FOUR invites? So if you invite someone they do they get four or is there a cooling off period before you get them?

Either way we surely could have this thread sorted by next weekend in some pyramid scheme flavour.

Hold da mawfuckin phone.

Everyone on the site gets FOUR invites? So if you invite someone they do they get four or is there a cooling off period before you get them?

Either way we surely could have this thread sorted by next weekend in some pyramid scheme flavour.

That's what I am hoping for. If people start getting them maybe they can mention it in their original post and we can all help each other out.

Damn I miss Oink :)

Hold da mawfuckin phone.

No.

# One invite will be awarded to users for each 5gb uploaded and downloaded.

# Because of invite sellers, invites will open sporadically. There will not be a large announced time where thousands of invites are opened. However, we will be letting more and more people invite over time.

So what's it like? Is it like Oink? Please tell me it is.

I can't really say as I was only a member for about a week before it got shut down.

Waffles is damn good so far, there are new uploads constantly, you can refresh the main page every 10 secs and 5 more things appear. I am just hoping it isn't as hardcore about the ratio as Oink allegedly was. I don't like being scared to download something for fear of damaging my ratio. Still, it's only been up about a month so I guess it's early days. You can set an Oink theme if you want :).

The ratio requirements are what made Oink work, so I hope it's the same.

I'm on waffles now, and it looks identical, ostensibly, to Oink, but yeah, much much less content so far as it's still getting up to speed.

I never got over a 1.0 ratio on Oink, but then I never did ANYTHING except download whatever I wanted, and leave all those open and seeding. That was plenty to stay comfortably between 0.6 and 0.85 all the time. You don't have to worry too much...

I guess if you don't ask you don't get. I was a member of Oink for a couple of years and invited a few people who asked on this forum. When it was taken down I had something like a 50 gig buffer. I know how torrent and ratio systems work. I want to be able to check out new releases without buying them from Fopp and then taking them back if they're no good, or not checking them out at all. Help!

I guess if you don't ask you don't get. I was a member of Oink for a couple of years and invited a few people who asked on this forum. When it was taken down I had something like a 50 gig buffer. I know how torrent and ratio systems work. I want to be able to check out new releases without buying them from Fopp and then taking them back if they're no good, or not checking them out at all. Help!

You will have a problem buying anything from Fopp now though.

You will have a problem buying anything from Fopp now though.

If you used to shop at one of the branches they opened during their ill-fated expansion over the past year or so, you're right. But they have since re-opened (I think) 5 core branches, including the Covent Garden shop near my work.

Their returns policy is great, and goes some way to countering some of the issues raised in the Oink thread in Off Topic, about rewarding an artist for an album you like by actually buying it. If the album you've just bought is rubbish then you can always take it back for a refund. If it's good, however, I'd think you're much less inclined to actively choose to deprive them of your money by taking it back. Either way, the returns policy encourages experimentation in people's buying habits, which I assume results ultimately in larger overall sales for the shops and (decent) artists. However, their selection can never rival that of a site like Oink, and people are always going to take the convenience of being able to download an album in mp3 form over going out and putting £100 aside to sample that week's interesting-looking new releases. Which is where sites like this come in.

Holy fuck.

I've not got an invite yet, though it's fair to say I've not been trying. I got my original one from whoring myself on random hellish quizes on the IRC channel.

I've been suckling at the Soulseek teet good and proper- remembering how bloody good the program is regardless of some of the obvious P2P drawbacks there's nothing that's ever come close in that respect.