Good crisp bad crisp

Timmo

I had Smith's Salt n Vinegar Chip Sticks today for the first time in ages - yum! :wub:

Just noticed your website in your sig! I've been reading your website on a weekly basis for about the past three months now, didn't know it was someone from here! Every post always impresses me with the amount of detail, good job! :hat:

Just noticed your website in your sig! I've been reading your website on a weekly basis for about the past three months now, didn't know it was someone from here! Every post always impresses me with the amount of detail, good job! :hat:

Thanks :) We really love writing it... even if it is a bit of an obsession. Pleased to hear you are enjoying reading it too. 8)

Thanks :) We really love writing it... even if it is a bit of an obsession. Pleased to hear you are enjoying reading it too. 8)

Do you get sent a lot of free stuff to try or is it mainly donations and buying it yourself? (If you don't mine me asking that is)

Do you get sent a lot of free stuff to try or is it mainly donations and buying it yourself? (If you don't mine me asking that is)

Well we get a few more free bits than we used to (been doing it two years) but by far the majority of things are bought by us. Family / friends are great too - buying us bits and bobs to try from their travels etc.

The best was Walkers when I told them we were missing the Welsh Rarebit and Irish Stew flavours from their Flavour Cup (as they were regional only). They were really nice and said they would send me a 'few bags' - they sent 36 bags - of each!!!

Well we get a few more free bits than we used to (been doing it two years) but by far the majority of things are bought by us. Family / friends are great too - buying us bits and bobs to try from their travels etc.

The best was Walkers when I told them we were missing the Welsh Rarebit and Irish Stew flavours from their Flavour Cup (as they were regional only). They were really nice and said they would send me a 'few bags' - they sent 36 bags - of each!!!

That's cool, friends and family can be cool like that.

I hope they got eaten! I never tried either, as you say they were regional.

I've also been reading http://snackspot.org.uk/ for years and years, but it just seems a bit old and brown these days ^_^

That's cool, friends and family can be cool like that.

I hope they got eaten! I never tried either, as you say they were regional.

I've also been reading http://snackspot.org.uk/ for years and years, but it just seems a bit old and brown these days ^_^

Don't worry - all the crisps got eaten, distributed through friends / work colleagues etc... ;-)

I like Snackspot - he often gives Foodstuff Finds an honourable mention too, which is rather nice. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

So, these new walkers flavours then:

Stephen Fry Up - Tastes alarmingly like a hash brown dipped in fried egg yolk and baked beans. Delicious. Unnerving. Similar to builders breakfast.

Jimmy Con Carne - Essentially beef flavoured crisps with a strange chilli-con-carne depth to the flavour, that was quite enjoyable but not quite 'right'. Tasted a tiny bit like Steak that had been brushed with pot pourri.

Steak and Al pie - Haven't had these yet.

Frank Roast Dinner - Basically roast chicken crisps. With a spot of gravy in the aftertaste.

What's your favourite?

I've only tried Stephen Fry-Up and Jimmy Con Carrne. The fry-up one was kind of authentic in a scrambled egg sense; not sickening, but not something I'd want to have too often. The chilli one was actually quite surprising; I'm often buying bog-standard "hot" crisps (Thai Sensations, Chilli Doritos, Flamin' Hot Monster Munch) and didn't expect these to be any different, but it actually tastes more interesting than the straight chilli flavour that the aforementioned crisps seem to offer. It's certainly closer to the advertised flavour than I was expecting.

Tesco Finest honey roast ham crisps are amazing, I'm not normally a fan of meaty crisps, if for no other reason than they normally end up repeating on me for hours afterwards but these are seriously good. They have a really nice, slightly sweet smoky flavour and the texture is spot on too.

They come in a big pink pack, buy them, eat them, then come back and thank me.

8)

I've only tried Stephen Fry-Up and Jimmy Con Carrne. The fry-up one was kind of authentic in a scrambled egg sense; not sickening, but not something I'd want to have too often.

Now to me it would have been better if they were bacon sandwich flavour as to me they just tasted of bacon flavour crisps with a hint of butter. The builders breakfast was MUCH better - I wish they'd bring them back,

Now to me it would have been better if they were bacon sandwich flavour as to me they just tasted of bacon flavour crisps with a hint of butter. The builders breakfast was MUCH better - I wish they'd bring them back,

Thurs, 7 May 2009

Builders Breakfast is the winning flavour of the Walkers "Do us a Flavour" competition and will now be added to the permanent range.

Wed, 19 May 2010

Walkers Crisps have discontinued its Builder’s Breakfast flavour, one year after it emerged as the winner of its Do Us A Flavour competition.

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news.ma/article/82953

http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/news/walkers-discontinues-builders-breakfast-flavour/3013686.article

The cynic in me says that in the T&C's of the competition was that the winner's crisps had to be on sale for a year before being quietly dropped....

These are really good - only discovered them last week :

38.jpg

You said it, man. Those are fantastic crisps. They also do a Roast Ox flavour which must be a reference to The Young Ones.

In other news I have tried the Jimmy Con Carne and Stephen Fry Up flavours of Walkers. The Jimmy ones don't really taste of much except for something which has been slightly burnt, and the Stephen ones just taste a bit like fried egg.

Tesco Finest honey roast ham crisps are amazing, I'm not normally a fan of meaty crisps, if for no other reason than they normally end up repeating on me for hours afterwards but these are seriously good. They have a really nice, slightly sweet smoky flavour and the texture is spot on too.

They come in a big pink pack, buy them, eat them, then come back and thank me.

8)

Marks and Spencer used to do something like this and they were amazing, but they stopped selling them years ago much to my disappointment. I shall check these out.

• 4 months later...