Good crisp bad crisp

Timmo

The Mango Cofresh snacks weren't very nice - sometimes food can conjure an instant memory, very oddly these transported me back to Camden Market in the early 1990s and the smell you'd get from the new age stalls selling crystals and burning incense sticks.

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

The Mango Cofresh snacks weren't very nice - sometimes food can conjure an instant memory, very oddly these transported me back to Camden Market in the early 1990s and the smell you'd get from the new age stalls selling crystals and burning incense sticks.

Thanks for the warning. I'd seen them, and had them marked up for a go next, despite knowing I don't really get on with "gimmick" flavours (I get bored of them very quickly). But I do like trying new things. Sounds like I'd end up binning most of these, so I'll pass.

I think this is why I liked the Onion Bhaji ones - they weren't as tasty as I hoped, but I just kept on scoffing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Sainsbury continue their run of elaborate/new/pricey crisps with these, which despite being called chicken salt are basically vegan friendly umami spiced chipsticks. Need to be great as cost £3 a bag

made-for-drink-chicken-salt-fries.jpg?mo

More reasonably priced are these peanut butter puffs from their world food aisle, which will only disappoint if they don't deliver a peanut butter wotsit experience

300x300.jpg

Sainsbury's do a Taste the Difference pack of pancetta and rosemary crisps, which are some of the nicest bacon flavour crisps I've ever had. A bit sweet and subtle with none of the overly strong, instantly dehydrating salty/bacony MSG overload that most bacon crisps have.

so Bamba peanut butter puffs do indeed deliver a PB wotsit experience.

what I hadn't bargained for was Wotsits are quite drying on the mouth, and peanut butter has virtually zero moisture which is why you can leave it in a cupboard for a million years and nothing bad bacterially will grow in it.

put the two together and you can feel your head almost being sucked inside out as the moisture is removed from your mouth, it's what I imagine chewing a sachet of silica gel would feel like.

that said they were quite nice and I'd buy again, just not eat them after playing with the dog in the garden in 28c heat.

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

so Bamba peanut butter puffs do indeed deliver a PB wotsit experience.

what I hadn't bargained for was Wotsits are quite drying on the mouth, and peanut butter has virtually zero moisture which is why you can leave it in a cupboard for a million years and nothing bad bacterially will grow in it.

put the two together and you can feel your head almost being sucked inside out as the moisture is removed from your mouth, it's what I imagine chewing a sachet of silica gel would feel like.

that said they were quite nice and I'd buy again, just not eat them after playing with the dog in the garden in 28c heat.

Haha. Yeah I tend to eat peanut butter on oatcakes - a recent discovery - the two things are the same kind of mellow loveliness and pair together beautifully, but there's no moisture at all in either so you need a drink on the go to help them along.

I've not seen those Bamba puffs in our World food aisle, but will absolutely give them a go if we have them.

(It always saddens me how little I pick from that aisle when I'm working, because it's one of my absolute favourites to do my own shopping from, and if we're out of the silly little jars of ground cumin or coriander or bay leaves etc. I will walk all the way back and pick up a bag that's got 4 times as much in it for maybe the same money as a substitution to show folk what they're missing out on. Ours has recently changed, and there's loads of new stuff I haven't got around to trying yet.)

I haven't seen the chicken salt fries either. Will keep an eye out - something to buy when on offer, and when I feel I deserve a treat. (Probably worth doing on Smart Shop if you're in store, because in future you could get a discount, and at that price it would be significant.)

The chicken salt fries are nice, super small thin salty potato sticks, nothing more. So on the plus front nice and crunchy, salty, would go with a drink. On the minus they are tiny so hard to eat, you have to shovel in a handful of them and then lick your fingers, making sharing a bowl a covid disaster zone.

Then there is the price, potato chapsticks can only ever be 'so good', no way these are worth the premium price as they are just salty sticks of potato and not that satisfying in the way other premium snacking options are.

Plus yep +1 for the sainsbury world food aisle @MarkN, I do find it's an in person shop though for me as I never think on Ocado to look for Polish choc coated cornflakes but like some ADD toddler will be convinced to buy them in person when I see them.

So on a slight tangent, what are folks default go to basic snacks? I don't have many - as mentioned above I don't do big/odd/gimmick flavours that much so I tend to stick to a few basics.

Bog standard ready salted crisps - can be supermarket own-brand - don't care. I could keep scoffing them from now until the end of time.

Salt and Vinegar Crisps, Chipsticks or Square Crisps. Occasionally exactly what I want, but too feisty to keep plugging away at for eternity. But I can demolish a very large bag in one sitting.

Ready Salted Hula Hoops - mostly eaten off the finger tips still at the age of 50.

Spicy NikNaks (one stronger flavour I never grow tired of).

Supermarket-brand Onion Rings (need to be in the mood, but it's another flavour I can scoff plenty of).

Bombay Mix. (I find myself going to this less and less recently, but I think maybe it's just a phase. Just typing it made me fancy some, for the first time in ages...)

One day I'll just eat a normal bag of crisps again, until that time

Kingsbacon45g_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1649150

it's what you'd get if a pig and some biltong went into that machine at the start the fly

On 02/07/2022 at 14:59, Gotters said:

One day I'll just eat a normal bag of crisps again, until that time

Kingsbacon45g_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1649150

it's what you'd get if a pig and some biltong went into that machine at the start the fly

I think these are the ones I’ve had. If they are, they were disappointing. Very sweet, like most jerky.

On 01/11/2020 at 08:36, Qazimod said:

I recently tried some of the Walker’s Max Strong range (chicken wings, jalapeño cheese, peri-peri) and they’re... fine? I think the cheese one was the only flavour I really enjoyed; the others were okay but in both cases the flavour didn’t really have much depth or variety to it. That said, the packets insist that they’re “perfect with beer” and I don’t (well, seldom) drink so maybe I was missing something :P 

Update: the newer Hot Sauce Blaze flavour is pleasingly fiery. The flavour isn’t as tasty as Jalapeño Cheese but there’s a satisfying build-up of heat after you’ve had a few. And it has its own multipack rather than being part of an assortment. :) 

pringles_passport_new_york_style_cheeseb

Cheeseburger flavour ? Nope, they taste like slightly stale pringles that have a very mild oxo cube tang to them, the only flavour I really get is the gherkin (I like gherkin in a burger but this is nasty powder pickle)

Unpleasant.

On 10/07/2022 at 08:40, Gotters said:

pringles_passport_new_york_style_cheeseb

Cheeseburger flavour ? Nope, they taste like slightly stale pringles that have a very mild oxo cube tang to them, the only flavour I really get is the gherkin (I like gherkin in a burger but this is nasty powder pickle)

Unpleasant.

Has there ever been a good cheese burger flavoured crisp?

2 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

image.png.e29a0e56b5f3ae3be6a0de71fb82eb4f.png

My god, when are they from? The Quarterbacks I remember from the early eighties were a long, silver grey packet with a red jersey quarterback on it. Amazing crisps.

2 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

image.png.e29a0e56b5f3ae3be6a0de71fb82eb4f.png

Jesus, I wonder how many U.K people on this forum have tried those! (I certainly haven't) On a side note, it reminded me of the weird donut flavoured Skips that I have a vague memory of from the late 90's, which were sponsered by the kids show Reboot. I only ever had one pack, but can't remember if they were any good!

10 minutes ago, Scruff said:

My god, when are they from? The Quarterbacks I remember from the early eighties were a long, silver grey packet with a red jersey quarterback on it. Amazing crisps.

I think the ones you describe are the ones I remember too but Google doesn't seem to have any pictures of those. Bloody loved them though! 

17 hours ago, stephen129 said:

Has there ever been a good cheese burger flavoured crisp?

I don't think it lends itself to crisp form, the best crisps are relatively simple things flavour wise

a cheeseburger is by nature a multi textural and flavoured thing which you'll never really get in a satisfying way in powder form.

It'll always sell as who doesn't like a cheeseburger, but suspect will always disappoint.

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

I don't think it lends itself to crisp form, the best crisps are relatively simple things flavour wise

a cheeseburger is by nature a multi textural and flavoured thing which you'll never really get in a satisfying way in powder form.

It'll always sell as who doesn't like a cheeseburger, but suspect will always disappoint.

Agreed. The time I realised I didn't like Pringles was when they released a Pizza flavoured one. To be fair the flavour was really good - herby tomato and cheese - it was very convincing. But the dry powdery texture of Pringles is so unlike the greasy ooziness of hot pizza they just felt wrong. And after that I could only spot the texture of Pringles regardless of flavour, and really didn't like it.

There's a similar thing I find with chocolate-flavoured Jelly Belly beans which are in no way creamy and melty, but that may also be to do with the fact that the flavour's pretty poor too (which is odd, because Jelly Belly are usually pretty good flavour-wise).

• 2 weeks later...

Against my better judgement I bought a pack of Hula Hoops Puft (Ready Salted). I didn't think they'd beat the originals, but they fall so far short. The texture is all wrong, the mouth-feel is wrong, the flavour of the hoopy part is almost non-existent, and the seasoning on top of that was benign. Really miserable things. Don't know why they exist. The originals are so much nicer (and they're hardly the pinnacle of snack excellence, but at least hit the spot once in a while).

On 26/07/2022 at 23:34, MarkN said:

Against my better judgement I bought a pack of Hula Hoops Puft (Ready Salted). I didn't think they'd beat the originals, but they fall so far short. The texture is all wrong, the mouth-feel is wrong, the flavour of the hoopy part is almost non-existent, and the seasoning on top of that was benign. Really miserable things. Don't know why they exist. The originals are so much nicer (and they're hardly the pinnacle of snack excellence, but at least hit the spot once in a while).

Oh yeah these are terrible. I also really didn't like the mini cheddar stick things.

Had some of these when on holiday in NY a few weeks back and my son and I loved them, got a real kick to them.

Seem quite expensive over here but might get some as a treat.

71NVO1m21-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

10 hours ago, memories said:

Had some of these when on holiday in NY a few weeks back and my son and I loved them, got a real kick to them.

Seem quite expensive over here but might get some as a treat.

71NVO1m21-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Aye they're tasty. Found them last year when I went to Mallorca then found more in a shop in the Costa del Sol in the summer that had a ton of different flavours!

I have found them in the UK (was either Home Bargains or B&M) but they don't taste the same without a cold beer and some hot sun :)

Spoiler
On 07/10/2021 at 16:55, Hawklord said:

It's unlikely I'll find these when I get back to the UK but these were amazing. Chilli & Lime flavour crispy tubes. Thicker texture than a nacho and absolutely covered in flavour. Not as hot as they claim (jalapeno hot) but still very, very tasty

PXL_20211003_102437430.thumb.jpg.8d9178bf0e2f55fecaa71a6adfcb142a.jpg

913.16 kB · 0 downloads

On 22/06/2022 at 13:15, Gotters said:

Sainsbury continue their run of elaborate/new/pricey crisps with these, which despite being called chicken salt are basically vegan friendly umami spiced chipsticks. Need to be great as cost £3 a bag

made-for-drink-chicken-salt-fries.jpg?mo

A nope from me. Very very very thin sticks that just tasted of salt and difficult to eat. Disappointed/10 :( 

3 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

A nope from me. Very very very thin sticks that just tasted of salt and difficult to eat. Disappointed/10 :( 

Yup, posted similar above.

So many of the premium/artisan snacks seem to spend all their money on artwork and nice packaging and the actual product is crap.

I think it’s just people hoping to build a quick brand and flog out super fast to a huge company before people notice their product is bang average.

28 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Aye they're tasty. Found them last year when I went to Mallorca then found more in a shop in the Costa del Sol in the summer that had a ton of different flavours!

I have found them in the UK (was either Home Bargains or B&M) but they don't taste the same without a cold beer and some hot sun :)

Hide contents

Nice, will check out Home Bargains and B&Mb next time I'm passing.

They have them on Amazon and some American sweet sites but not the cheapest that way.

3 minutes ago, memories said:

Nice, will check out Home Bargains and B&Mb next time I'm passing.

They have them on Amazon and some American sweet sites but not the cheapest that way.

They were fairly pricey if I remember right. Around £2.50 for a small bag, so I only grabbed 2