Good crisp bad crisp

Timmo

19 hours ago, MarkN said:

Noticed today  there's a sign in my store says they're exclusive to Sainsbury's (I'm guessing that's just supermarkets - you can probably find them in smaller shops, maybe.

I finally tried their Bombay Mix tonight (that and the onion bhajis are on offer right now FWIW). It's very nice, but I'd question whether it's actually Bombay Mix. It's very light on noodly bits, instead having crispy flakes and possibly puffed rice that are usually denizens of other mixes. This doesn't make it bad, just different, but I would have liked a sturdier noodle in there to bulk it out a bit. It's all a bit one note texture-wise (everything is the same size - there are no surprises texturally). The cardinal sin though is no sultanas. I'm going to be chucking a good handful of them in tomorrow then giving it a good shake to provide a sweet cheeky refrain from the rest of it. Scrapes an 8 out of 10. It's really tasty, could do with being lumpier and needs a few sultanas.

Ocado sell the full range.

I've tried the Onion Bhaji ones, interesting at first, but they get a bit samey as you go through the bag.

24 minutes ago, meatbin said:

Ocado sell the full range.

I've tried the Onion Bhaji ones, interesting at first, but they get a bit samey as you go through the bag.

they are curious as I had the same 'journey' with them - the first few you think they're amazing but then something strange happens and you fold up the bag and put them aside. every one you eat beyond then get progressively worse until you reason you've had the bag open for a week and don't want any more.

in my house the lifespan of a tube of Pringles is measured in seconds and there is no such thing as left over crisps.

23 minutes ago, Gotters said:

they are curious as I had the same 'journey' with them - the first few you think they're amazing but then something strange happens and you fold up the bag and put them aside. every one you eat beyond then get progressively worse until you reason you've had the bag open for a week and don't want any more.

in my house the lifespan of a tube of Pringles is measured in seconds and there is no such thing as left over crisps.

Nail on the head Gotters, well put.

Having spent a bit more time with the Howdah Bombay Mix - I really like it, but it does suffer from being all a bit soft and small. Mix a bag of that with a bag of Cofresh Luxury (which I'm sure I've linked before) , and you'd have somthing special. Chuck in a handful of sultanas, and bingo! Unfortunately that would last me well over a week so it's not going to happen. I will be buyiong this again though. Despite its faults it's really good.

On 20/08/2021 at 20:20, MarkN said:

Having spent a bit more time with the Howdah Bombay Mix - I really like it, but it does suffer from being all a bit soft and small. Mix a bag of that with a bag of Cofresh Luxury (which I'm sure I've linked before) , and you'd have somthing special. Chuck in a handful of sultanas, and bingo! Unfortunately that would last me well over a week so it's not going to happen. I will be buyiong this again though. Despite its faults it's really good.

Also, not enough nuts. The odd peanut and cashew, but they are so few and far between. I'd buy this again definitely - it's really tasty, it's just not Bombay Mix as I know it.

M&S Beef Wellington crisps are quite possible the worst tasting thing I've ever had. 

Not just that, but the intense mushroom-y smell the bag gave off almost made me wretch.

Some of the best nuts I've tried.  I've got them from Ocado & Sainsburys so far.

The seasoning is like a tacky coating rather than a powder, making each and every nut perfectly seasoned.

533928011_0_1280x1280.jpg?identifier=0a1

533927011_0_1280x1280.jpg?identifier=f70

2 hours ago, Scribblor said:

I don't understand how anyone can have a bag of anything 'on the go'. It's either unopened, or 'gone' for me.

There's only one of me. The full bag would be about 700 calories.

39 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

I stand by my comment. It's why I almost never buy junk food. I will literally eat it until after I feel sick.

I'm only like that with pistachio nuts, thankfully - I only stop when my fingers hurt from opening the shells (although someone recently told me to lever them open with a half of shell, so there won't be any stopping me next time...)

4 hours ago, meatbin said:

Some of the best nuts I've tried.  I've got them from Ocado & Sainsburys so far.

The seasoning is like a tacky coating rather than a powder, making each and every nut perfectly seasoned.

533928011_0_1280x1280.jpg?identifier=0a1

533927011_0_1280x1280.jpg?identifier=f70

Their dried mango is excellent too, far beyond anything else I’ve had. Saw they also do ones covered in dark chocolate.

On 19/08/2021 at 21:50, MarkN said:

Oh, I've finally found my nemesis. Bombay mix requires sultanas. That is all.

Absolutely, a good bombay mix has to have sultanas to add a nice sweet, chewy counterpoint to the relentless crunchy spice. Tesco's bombay mix is excellent. 

Seeing as we seem to have gone slightly beyond crisps, some of you snackers may like to try ‘Pipas’. Basically a Spanish treat (I think I may have seen a bag in a Polish supermarket once too) consisting of sunflower seeds still in their shell that traditionally are salted.  In recent years they’ve also done flavoured shells which have elevated them to snack hall of fame. 

They’re tricky to eat but the more you eat the better you get. Due to my Spanish heritage I’m a pro. Salt aside they’re a pretty healthy snack I’d say and because they’re fiddly you don’t get too fat eating them. 

Pretty sure baseball players eat them a lot these days instead of chewing tobacco!  

Looks like you can get them from Amazon. It it’s a complete rip off though so don’t. They cost about 1 euro in Spain. 

A707B376-D734-42E2-AF97-C3C7A9D8E3C8.thumb.jpeg.36ead267c2cec7706f608ce7a3f9934f.jpeg

5 minutes ago, LeighCb said:

I'll be looking forward to some of these at Christmas

334382446_Screenshot_20210804-1937112.thumb.png.f8e360d9ab09eea459473b38dcae143e.png

I've yet to be impressed by Christmas themed crisps.

Every year there's a new glazed ham or pigs in blankets flavour and they're always overly sweet and extremely artifically flavoured bags of disappointment.

At least the Co Op are trying something different instead of just going for turkey & stuffing.

After doing around 50 years research and local tastings, I've finally concluded that the only crisp worth its salt is Walkers Ready Salted.

They're not my favourite by any means, I really like the bite of Salt & Vinegar and the omnom of Pickled Onion (both Walkers version) but as a universal flavour carrier the Walkers RS wins. There's nothing better in a Ham & Pease pudding sarnie to add the crunch. And every sarnie needs that crunch too. Tuna & Sweetcorn, Beef & Horseradish, Egg & Cress all taste great on their own but are elevated to the next level with that ready salted crunch.

And anything that's not Walkers or their equivalent THIN CUT slices of potato can fuck right off too, crisps should be thin, inconsequential things, not these over produced thick potato slabs tasting of Luxembourgian sea salt and Modena balsamic vinegar ffs. Salt and vinegar does just fine. And Kettle Chips can Fuck Off too*

*Ref. - Nick Hornby

14 hours ago, multi said:

After doing around 50 years research and local tastings, I've finally concluded that the only crisp worth its salt is Walkers Ready Salted.

This thread has gone to hell.