Photo Contest - November

FishyFish

lets_book said he'd like to see more detail about each shot written with each entry yet it's doing exactly that that has caused a shit storm twice now when I've done it (this one and the trainers one).

Yeah... I guess that's a fair point. How about this: no competition, people suggest themes and a random theme gets drawn each month. Would that not work better, then we can critique each others photos without this urge to win, or competitive streak (yeah, I know, rules thread!). People can interpret the theme to whatever they wish and then just submit a photo (perhaps up to a limit of three each).

Yeah... I guess that's a fair point. How about this: no competition, people suggest themes and a random theme gets drawn each month. Would that not work better, then we can critique each others photos without this urge to win, or competitive streak (yeah, I know, rules thread!). People can interpret the theme to whatever they wish and then just submit a photo (perhaps up to a limit of three each).

I don't think anyone cares if they win, I think they just want to have freedom.

Yeah... I guess that's a fair point. How about this: ...

Nah, I agree with you and would love to see more comments from the 'artists' as to how they got their shots but was merely pointing out that it tends to lead to a whole load of pain from certain people that don't agree with the methods used rather than taking away a learning from what they read.

Nah, I agree with you and would love to see more comments from the 'artists' as to how they got their shots but was merely pointing out that it tends to lead to a whole load of pain from certain people that don't agree with the methods used rather than taking away a learning from what they read.

<handbag.jpg>

:(

we've already got the random thread AND the equipment thread.

Why not just let it go Sean? I wasn't soley reffering to you, I don't think you even offered an opinion the last time this was discussed in the rules thread? We're trying to have a useful discussion here rather than slinging petty playground jibes.

Why not just let it go Sean? I wasn't soley reffering to you, I don't think you even offered an opinion the last time this was discussed in the rules thread? We're trying to have a useful discussion here rather than slinging petty playground jibes.

but you WERE refering to me, non mon ami? <twiddles moustache>

Wrong! We're trying to have a photo competition where people are objecting to the use of rules to stiffle their creativity, remember?

Yeah, we've already got the random photo thread - don't say anything about how you took the shot, cos people might learn something! And we all know that's not the point - the point is to WIN.

o/\o

Tell you what, everyone just catch a train from London Bridge to Deptford and take a random photo out of the window, then post it here. That ought to capture the SeanR photography style perfectly.

Sure it would, but what would that prove?

Having read through this thread properly, I think it'd be best if I pulled my photograph entry above from the competition.

The photo wasn't taken with (from what I can make out) the rules of this months competition in mind. Instead, I chose a shot which reflected what I thought of when I took into account the words 'partially-sighted', and the photograph itself is based on my view of the grass outside of my bedroom window from a handicapped viewing point, hence the fact that the grass only represents between 15-20% of the final image. The image was planned and I spent a good few hours considering the meaning behind my choice of shot before I even took my camera out, therefore I have cheated.

I know I should have looked through the thread properly before going ahead with the shot, but I didn't realise there were special rules this month.

Having read through this thread properly, I think it'd be best if I pulled my photograph entry above from the competition.

The photo wasn't taken with (from what I can make out) the rules of this months competition in mind. Instead, I chose a shot which reflected what I thought of when I took into account the words 'partially-sighted', and the photograph itself is based on my view of the grass outside of my bedroom window from a handicapped viewing point, hence the fact that the grass only represents between 15-20% of the final image. The image was planned and I spent a good few hours considering the meaning behind my choice of shot before I even took my camera out, therefore I have cheated.

I know I should have looked through the thread properly before going ahead with the shot, but I didn't realise there were special rules this month.

Don't take it out; it would have my vote.

Im confused with all this, when I first saw the theme my initial thought was that it was going to be down to luck, as the way i saw it was that you werent allowed to think at all about the shot, just aim the camera somewhere and hope for the best, which does take all the fun and thought out of taking a picture. Even if you dont have a great technical knowledge, if you've got a pair of eyes you can still look at something and think 'that would make a nice photo', whereas this theme is just pure pot luck.

I think Sean thats why most people have got a bit annoyed with this, because you've asked them to take a picture without using the normal reason they would take it, i.e, to capture what they see. Having the technical knowledge allows you to do that as accurately as possible, whereas just pointing at something without thinking is only ever going to produce maybe 1 in 100 photos that look like anything/are interesting, so it really is down to luck.

This section of the forum is Creative desing, and im afraid in my opinion there is nothing creative about that.

Im not getting at you though Sean, just maybe trying to make you see why so many people have got their back up by this!

exactly, it's a photo of one thing, that looks like another.

Well, I'm afraid I didn't know that that had anything to do with it at all.

I'm far too confused with what has happened here - I don't normally enter these so maybe I just don't 'get' the rules properly, but from what I can make out it had been decided that anything that had been 'thought out' or 'planned' was not allowed, and I have done both of those things to get the shot I entered. Disqualified.

I think I'll just leave it until next month.

I'm far too confused with what has happened here - I don't normally enter these so maybe I just don't 'get' the rules properly, but from what I can make out it had been decided that anything that had been 'thought out' or 'planned' was not allowed, and I have done both of those things to get the shot I entered. Disqualified.

Ok, but next month is "double glazing that makes you think of trains"...

David, the person that sets the theme does not set the rules, the rules always stay the same. For me at least your entry is fine, it's a different approach to the subject for sure but that's ok.

I was thinking about taking my picture out too. So much wrangling over a subject. There are several months where I think the subject isn't great (too much art studenty, urban industrial milarky to appeal right across the forum and make it fun) so I'm not sure why this month has got a particular panning.

Also, in the old days we used to shoot the breeze about this sort of thing in the other 'general' thread not the actual monthly competiton thread itself. The monthly thread should be somewhere with light chat that people can go to see how the entries are shaping up this month.

David, the person that sets the theme does not set the rules, the rules always stay the same. For me at least your entry is fine, it's a different approach to the subject for sure but that's ok.

They can set restrictions as to what is allowed though which, in this case, David's shot would fall foul of. I've made a comment about the setting of 'sub-rules' in the rules topic.

Can I ask what software people have that puts a simple frame round their photos, please ? :)

I realize I'm a bit late, but I just read this and since I'm working on a tool to do just this, I've added it as an attachment.

I've included a readme which explains operation, and some example fiiles. Basically you can specify the border that you want and a copyrightimage if you want to. A preview will be generated during program startup and shown in the window.

Simply, drop the .jpg's that you want bordered onto the program window, and they will all be processed.

The program itself is only 26kB, so give it a shot and let me know what you think! ;)

rllmukversion_copyrightererer_v0.1.zip

I realize I'm a bit late, but I just read this and since I'm working on a tool to do just this, I've added it as an attachment.

I've included a readme which explains operation, and some example fiiles. Basically you can specify the border that you want and a copyrightimage if you want to. A preview will be generated during program startup and shown in the window.

Simply, drop the .jpg's that you want bordered onto the program window, and they will all be processed.

The program itself is only 26kB, so give it a shot and let me know what you think! ;)

This is great, however, is there anyway of putting raw support in? When i tried with nikon raw the image became very pixelated.

For jpegs it's very good however. Cheers :)

This is great, however, is there anyway of putting raw support in? When i tried with nikon raw the image became very pixelated.

For jpegs it's very good however. Cheers :)

I'm glad you liked it, motivates me as well! :D

About RAW support, I think that's a bit over my head :D <excuse>Technically, it's just raw sensor data of course, instead of an image :D </excuse>

If you want to use lossless files, the best advice I can give you at the moment, is to export your RAW images to TIFF files and run those through the program.

I just tried it with a 47 MB TIFF, of a picture that I took with my 30D, and it works just fine ;)

I was thinking about taking my picture out too. So much wrangling over a subject. There are several months where I think the subject isn't great (too much art studenty, urban industrial milarky to appeal right across the forum and make it fun) so I'm not sure why this month has got a particular panning.

Also, in the old days we used to shoot the breeze about this sort of thing in the other 'general' thread not the actual monthly competiton thread itself. The monthly thread should be somewhere with light chat that people can go to see how the entries are shaping up this month.

I think I like yours best