rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Calashnikov

November 07 Hip-Hop Recommendations

Yeah, whuttup WHUTTUP?! Another month another hustle. Where's all my writers and exciters? Peep the graphic:

25_straybullets-400.jpg

Collection of verses by Guilty thrown in the blender by the Beat Junkie, Rhettmatic. It bangs the shit out of it. Hard. Cancel ya network and make the tec jerk. TAKE NOTICE! (Incidentally, It's got to the stage where I catch mad goosebumps whenever I hear Guilty and Dilla flow over that perfect slice of gothic, gutter electro hip-hop. It's become one of my all-time favourite tracks.)

Some releases this month (I gotta say it ain't a classic. Quel surprise!):

American%20Ganster%20Jay.jpg

Hov's concept album based on some new Denzel flick. There's a fair bit of production from the great No I.D., not least of which is the collaboration with Nas. That has to be worth a listen.

dilated%20party.jpg

Dilated Peoples documentary and a disc with new tracks. Is anyone still into these guys?

And here's a li'l sumpen sumpen to whet your appetites for a certain wee release next mizzonth. Another Wu album, another wack cover. I'd frankly have been disappointed if we got anything else:

51TsDvdJe9L._SS500_.jpg

1. Campfire

2. Take It Back

3. Get Them Out Ya Way Pa

4. Face The Problems

5. The Heart Gently Weeps

6. Wolves

7. Gun Will Go

8. Sunlight

9. Stick Me For My Riches

10. Windmill

11. Starter

12. Weak Spot

13. Life Changes

14. Tar Pit feat George Clinton

15. 16th Chamber (ODB Special

Hmmmmm!

Incidentally, did any Boot Camp fans check out the new Smif-n-Wessun album? It was produced entirely by a guy from Sweden, apparently :lol:

13840_b.jpg

The lead single, Stomp, is a pretty tasty no-thrills posse cut. One for all my piano beat cats.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous Editions

September 07

August 07

July 07

June 07

May 07

April 07

March 07

February 07

January 07

December 06

November 06

October 06

September 06

August 06

July 06

June 06

May 06

April 06

March 06

February 06

February 05

January 05

December 04

November 04

October 04

September 04

August 04

July 04

June 04

May 04

April 04

March 04

February 04

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miscellaneous Classic Material From the Forum's Crates

The Perfect CD for a Hip-Hop Virgin

Recommend Me Some Classic... Hip-Hop! (focusing on Golden Era late 80s/early 90s classics)

Recommend Me Some Modern... Hip-Hop! (mid 90s til the modern era)

Common - Like Water For Chocolate... and 'conscious' hip-hop (recommending jazzier, smoother, socio-political stuff rather than gangsta/street LPs)

If 8 Diagrams doesn't deliver I think I might just cry inside forever - I've avoided EVERYTHING so far in the hope that hearing it all together for the first time without knowing what beats are coming up soon/next might give it more of an impact, but why is that cover so bad? Reminds me of the GZA one, Beneath The Surface, but even that looked good thanks to the fact that it wasn't plastered with giant wordart along the bottom.

It's not looking too promising ...

Boom. That track's killer!

LOL Does not compute. It's actually my least favourite from the album.

This one is my fave. Such an awesome breakdown of the Manson murders with Charlie himself kickin game at the end. " I roll the nickels. "

Onyx feat. Meth/Raekwon/Killa Sin - The Worst

FUCK! This brings back some memories. Killa Sin fucking MERKS it BLUD! I could listen to that dude all day.

<a href="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=32CTqZR-ilk" target="_blank">http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=32CTqZR-ilk</a>

OOOWEEE....Kill Sin's verse... :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killa_Sin

Haha, check his Wiki entry. As far as I can tell the man is an absolute legend. Broke Mase's jaw, robbed G-Unit and rhymes like a god...what more could you ask for?!

American Gangster is pure dogshit. It's almost unbelievable that the man who made Blueprint could come up with this garbage.

Anyway, can't wait for some new Wu Tang. It's been too long. Shame that The Heart Gently Weeps is on there as [whisper] it's a little bit shit [/whisper].

Sorry mate, but couldnt disagree with you more on that one. Granted Ive only played it through once so far since picking it up, but initial impressions are that this one is surprisingly good, especially for a concept album. Solid soulful tunes, perhaps youre missing the harder side of Jay.

Sorry mate, but couldnt disagree with you more on that one. Granted Ive only played it through once so far since picking it up, but initial impressions are that this one is surprisingly good, especially for a concept album. Solid soulful tunes, perhaps youre missing the harder side of Jay.

Saying that, you're probably right. Listening to it for a second time tonight I've enjoyed it a load more. Think I was too tired yesterday. :P

Well I really like the new single (a Puffy production to my shame!). Good soul shit, like you say. Peep the video hizzere. Check the intro there, sampling the "Hello Brooklyyyyyyyyn!" part of B-Boy's Bouillabaisse off Paul's Boutique. A bit of reading into the American Gangster album tells me that's actually an excerpt from another album track, which is based completely on the Beastie Boys track. I like that. Oh, and the DJ Toomp song apparently samples part of the Chrono Trigger soundtrack B) Elsewhere, there's tracks sampling Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes and The Isley Brothers. Hmm, I think I'll have to check the album out...

@ Das - I seem to have a missed MSN message from you regarding 'Outta Town Shit' by Ghostface from the More Fish album. You said you recognised the beat from somewhere else? It's produced by Lewis Parker so it might be the same sort of deal as his beat for 'Shakey Dog' on Fishscale, i.e. previously used by LP on that blends album he put out. Which you have. And I've always wanted to hear :) :) :wub:

What was it called again?

@ Das - I seem to have a missed MSN message from you regarding 'Outta Town Shit' by Ghostface from the More Fish album. You said you recognised the beat from somewhere else? It's produced by Lewis Parker so it might be the same sort of deal as his beat for 'Shakey Dog' on Fishscale, i.e. previously used by LP on that blends album he put out. Which you have. And I've always wanted to hear :):wub::lol:

That will totally be it then, yet another recycled beat :) ...still, phat none the less. I will try and sort that album out for you brother, fo' shizzle.

What was it called again?

Put A Beat 2 A Rhyme, and I checked it last night...that beat doesn't seem to be on there. It could just be a that somebody else laced that sample before.

Wu Tang - 8 Diagrams mixtape

1) Intro feat. Method Man

2) Watch Ur Mouf (Wu-Tang Exclusive)

3) State Of Grace (Raekwon Exclusive)

4) Break That Break (Unreleased)

5) Wu Banga 101 Remix (Unreleased)

6) My Corner (Raekwon Exclusive)

7) Stick Me 4 My Riches (Wu-Tang Exclusive)

<_< Thug World (Wu-Tang Exclusive)

9) Maxine Remix (Unreleased)

10) King Toast Queen (Unreleased)

11) Strawberries & Cream Remix

12) Weak Spot (Wu-Tang Exclusive)

13) Intoxicated feat Macy Gray (ODB Exclusive)

14) Crooklyn Dodgers (Ghostface Exclusive)

15) The "W" Remix (Unreleased)

16) Real Nillaz

17) Ghost Is Back

18) Don't Go Breaking My Heart ODB feat Macy Gray

19) Violent Skit

20) Life Changes (Wu-Tang Exclusive)

21) Treez (Unreleased)

22) The Abduction

23) John 3:16

24) Good

25) Da Destroyer (Raekwon Freestyle)

26) Iron God Chamber

27) 4:20

28) Wise (Unreleased)

29) Presidential M.C. (Bonus Track - The Heart Gently Weeps)

Wu Tang - 8 Diagrams mixtape

1) Intro feat. Method Man

2) Watch Ur Mouf (Wu-Tang Exclusive)

3) State Of Grace (Raekwon Exclusive)

4) Break That Break (Unreleased)

5) Wu Banga 101 Remix (Unreleased)

6) My Corner (Raekwon Exclusive)

7) Stick Me 4 My Riches (Wu-Tang Exclusive)

^_^ Thug World (Wu-Tang Exclusive)

9) Maxine Remix (Unreleased)

10) King Toast Queen (Unreleased)

11) Strawberries & Cream Remix

12) Weak Spot (Wu-Tang Exclusive)

13) Intoxicated feat Macy Gray (ODB Exclusive)

14) Crooklyn Dodgers (Ghostface Exclusive)

15) The "W" Remix (Unreleased)

16) Real Nillaz

17) Ghost Is Back

18) Don't Go Breaking My Heart ODB feat Macy Gray

19) Violent Skit

20) Life Changes (Wu-Tang Exclusive)

21) Treez (Unreleased)

22) The Abduction

23) John 3:16

24) Good

25) Da Destroyer (Raekwon Freestyle)

26) Iron God Chamber

27) 4:20

28) Wise (Unreleased)

29) Presidential M.C. (Bonus Track - The Heart Gently Weeps)

I needed that.