IGNORED

Your Gaming Handicap.

Blue

Competetive online multiplayer.

Now I'm not one of those people *cough*veloS*cough* who believes that a multiplayer component is completely superfluous to the 'bread n' butter' of a game; I actually really love the thought of testing the skills I've picked up during the singleplayer against either friends who can't be in the same room or strangers. All that said, I absolutely fall to pieces as soon as I realise that there's another human being operating my adversary(ies).

It's nothing to do with feeling guilty about knowing slaughtering my fellow man, and everything to do with a very weird kind of stage fright. Virtua Fighter 5 is the best recent example of this - I'm not terrible with Sarah offline on Hard, I can run through most of the Dojo mode quite quickly, I think I understand most of the underlying system - but channel me to someone else via the internet and I'm a panicky, punch-button-stabbing mess.

You know the butterflies you got before going onstage during your first primary school play? That's me every single match-up screen in VF5.

Given what you've said here, can't you just play Bioshock and Half-Life et al on a PC with a mouse?

Aye, perhaps. It still true that I don't really enjoy aiming, so it feels like a chore to play games where aiming is the central game mechanic. I suppose it's aiming in 3D, in the distance with perspective - I'm perfectly happy aiming balls in a snooker game, or firing bubbles in puzzle bobble. Perhaps it's the way that the focus of the action becomes narrowed down to a smaller and smaller area of the screen, in a way which doesn't so much with a platform game or other genres. I should play sniper games, where I can zoom in and make the aiming a full screen thing! I dunno, it's hard to put my finger on exactly what it is I don't enjoy. I don't like mayonnaise either, despite liking all the separate ingredients of mayonnaise, and I can't explain that one either!

I think with RE4, it was more being able to play it without being crippled by having no ammo all the time. There's a fixed amount of ammo and I always seem to run out because I miss so much. I doubt that I'd ever become a real fan of the game, because it's an aiming game at the end of the day.

Strategy games and RPGs. I'm not saying that I'm brilliant at everything else, but with the former I can't be arsed building and organising formations and checking my cashflow and seeing my people go exactly where I don't want them to be...and with the latter I just can't find the patience to grind my way to victory.

RTS games since Warcraft 2 probably, I just get massively bored of stockpiling stuff or being 'tactical' and try and pick them off bit by bit and eventually have no-one left in my base, or enough money to just build enough troops to keep the enemy at bay but never enough to kill them.

C&C3 on 360 I've got to a level with a time limit on and there's just no hope, it doesn't happen.

Or 'nice' games like settlers that then turns to war, happy as larry making up a little community where people are all fed and everything is roses but as soon as they ask me to beat other people up it all goes horribly wrong.

Driving Games - maybe as I have an almost psychotic hatred of using my brakes either the main of handbrake ones....whay this is I don't know!

After playing Sega Rally on the 360 for hours, I ended up last in every race even with a bit of braking thrown in for good measure. Am I cursed?

Also, RTS games, my tactics are to build a few of everything, especially large units and just send all of them in together - the scissors / rock / paper rules of engagement are lost on me. This did work on the LOTR Battle for Middle Earth 2 on easy with the good campaign. Which then made me realise how pointless it was using any strategy.

Fighting games - since SF2, joypad button sequence combos have been lost to my short term memory, although with Soul Caliber I did remember Voldo's infamous "cheese-grater" move where he did a crab-like run over the enemy - priceless!

Tales of a bitter / twisted / older hardcore gamer, who cannot play hardcore.......

Back in my day, we had a joystick and two buttons if you were lucky - maybe this gens multi-button assignments are just too much - god knows why I have not bough ta Wii yet - this is ideal for my arthritic gaming skillz. :(

I think with RE4, it was more being able to play it without being crippled by having no ammo all the time. There's a fixed amount of ammo and I always seem to run out because I miss so much.

Don't think there is actually. I'm pretty sure that the drops are dynamic and if you are running out, more ammo appears. I remember this being touted as a feature, along with the dynamic difficulty, to ensure people didn't get stuck.

Now I'm not one of those people *cough*veloS*cough* who believes that a multiplayer component is completely superfluous to the 'bread n' butter' of a game; I actually really love the thought of testing the skills I've picked up during the singleplayer against either friends who can't be in the same room or strangers. All that said, I absolutely fall to pieces as soon as I realise that there's another human being operating my adversary(ies).

It's nothing to do with feeling guilty about knowing slaughtering my fellow man, and everything to do with a very weird kind of stage fright. Virtua Fighter 5 is the best recent example of this - I'm not terrible with Sarah offline on Hard, I can run through most of the Dojo mode quite quickly, I think I understand most of the underlying system - but channel me to someone else via the internet and I'm a panicky, punch-button-stabbing mess.

You know the butterflies you got before going onstage during your first primary school play? That's me every single match-up screen in VF5.

That's largely the point with DOA4; it has no "player match", only ranking matches, to increase the sense of risk when you play. Sadly, I think this may have hurt it somewhat as it stops newbies from venturing online.

Don't think there is actually. I'm pretty sure that the drops are dynamic and if you are running out, more ammo appears. I remember this being touted as a feature, along with the dynamic difficulty, to ensure people didn't get stuck.

Heh, it might give you more if you are shit, but I was definitely running out. Enough to severely hamper my enjoyment.

I can't really win at any RTS in multiplayer, with the exception of Shogun Total War. Starcraft for example is really a racing game, not an RTS. It's just "execute a pre-determined strategy faster than your opponent" and I can't be arsed to memorise the steps.

I have those problems with stealth too... far too impatient.

I got sick of stealth when it seemed to be in vogue a few years back. I was kicking down doors and holding the largest and most explosive boomsticks I could get my hands on, and laughing loudly the whole time.

Always been a rubbish sniper as well. I'm hoping the Logitech p9 mouse I just blew £50 on will help.

Love the idea of big ass RPG's but I'm just shit at them. I've not got the time to sit for hours and hours working on the best set up for characters. Also as someone said before me my sense of direction is shit...free roaming games do nothing for me.

Despite my fascination with 2D beat 'em ups - I'm terrible at them.

Aye, exactly the same with me. I wish I could play them because they look gorgeous :lol: Who am I kidding though, I'm shit at all fighting games.

I'm also awful at any online console FPS- I just don't have the patience I guess. And while I love rally games, I'm even pretty good at them, I'm really shit at track-racing games.

Yeah, the Halo adrenaline shivers I call it. Don't worry about them, they go away/you get used to it. When you're playing against people on your own it's much worse I reckon.

I have some of the handicaps mentioned here (always timing wrong when sniping, getting disoriented regularly, being impatient with stealth games) but they're just very slight handicaps. I don't see what's so difficult about racing games, even though I don't really like them that much.

I can't progress with Half-Life 2 because of those fucking zombies and aliens and stuff. My friends say that every FPS needs alien monsters, but I disagree. They're mostly shit to play against (always more stupid than the humans), their designs are always shit and I'm always too scared to progress because of them. I love the enemies in Bioshock and The Flood is about as scary as my mom, so not all is lost in the FPS genre luckily.

I have never and will never beat anyone in an RTS.

I quite like them as well.

I'm even worse than you at them, I reckon. I can't even beat the campaign modes on Easy unless I have a free afternoon with which to build CPU-meltingly huge armies and surround each individual objective with them, and even then I can somehow fail to win. I'm just completely tactically illiterate.

:unsure: um.... Gears ins't an FPS.

Yeah it fucking is in all the ways that count. I'm tired of clowns who argue that it's not just because you can see some shoulders.

I'm total crap at driving sims, but it's not really that annoying as I'm good at both 'fun' racers and IRL driving, and there doesn't seem much reason why I'd want to play them anyway. :)

Yeah it fucking is in all the ways that count. I'm tired of clowns who argue that it's not just because you can see some shoulders.

What?? It isn't!

"All the ways that count" are:

1 - It's a shooter.

2 - It's played from first person.

Gears is a 3rd person shooter.

Space themed games, doesn't matter if it's something like Freelancer or Homeworld. I really want to like them, I've got a couple of them on the shelf and after the initial hour of "Oooh this is pretty *peyow peeyow!*" I get bored or frustrated.

I get the exact same problem. I felt so lovely and chilled out for my first couple of hours playing x3, then it all just got a little meh. I wish I could play it with the same childish enthusiasm I once had for Elite :unsure: