IGNORED

The Bragging Thread.

Blue

I've single-credited loads of 2D shoot-'em-ups (danmaku, 'memorizers', you name it :D), but I think the most unique achievement is that I've finished Solar Jetman! Even the Pickfords said they haven't done that!

Defender?

I've 1-credited Ikaruga and got into the world rankings back when they were up. Expect to see my name in the leaderboards when it hits XBLA, I'm certainly going to be competing.

I've 1-credited a few other shmups.

I'm pretty good at a few fighting games but I don't have any tournaments to my name. That might change in a couple of years when I've been to Japan (and come back to the UK with upgraded skillz).

I've 100%'ed god knows how many games. In the 32-bit and last generation I was all about the 100%s. None especially remarkable on their own (who here hasn't got 120 stars on Mario 64 and Sunshine?) but when you add them all up it's an impressive achievement/a lot of time wasted.

I only properly got into the home console aspect of this generation a few weeks ago when I got a 360. So far I've got 200/200 on a few XBLA games and am getting towards 1000/1000 on a few retail titles. Admittedly a lot of people can do that, and there's huge variation from game to game but I do feel the obsessive 100%ing carries over well to this generation and racking up a long list is a cool feat. Don't get me wrong though - I don't care about GamerScore, I just want all the achievements on the games I'm interested in. You won't see me keep playing a game I don't love just to get the achievements, or going for low hanging EA sports fruit, but I'll get 100% as a mark of respect to those titles I really appreciate.

I've 1-credited a number of old coin-ops back in the 80s/90s (Nemesis, Vulcan Venture, X-Multiply, Darius, Thunder Cross, Snow Bros, UN Squadron, Aliens, Vigilante, Shinobi, Exzisus, Wardner). I remember getting to the end of the 2nd loop on Ghouls 'n' Ghosts on 1 credit and having Lucifer beat me. I also remember completing Captain Blood on the Spectrum by shere luck too. It's not much of an achievement completing most games these days is it? It's more to do with slogging through and persistence than skill. There's the odd exception, but it's mostly persistence now I'd say.

It's not much of an achievement completing most games these days is it? It's more to do with slogging through and persistence than skill. There's the odd exception, but it's mostly persistence now I'd say.

I completely agree with this.

It seems that despite there being more games of a high quality produced, it's harder and harder to find one that is challenging enough to give a satisfying sense of achievement at the end of it all. Most of the time it feels like the achievement is simply that of having found the time to invest in getting through everything.

I completely agree with this.

It seems that despite there being more games of a high quality being produced, it's harder and harder to find one that is challenging enough to give a satisfying sense of achievement at the end of it all. Most of the time it feels like the achievement is simply that of having found the time to invest in getting through everything.

Nail - > Head.

It's like bcass has just unearthed some unspoken truth about modern gaming. Completely agree though, and I think it's one of the reasons completing Halo on Legendary stays with me as one of my fondest gaming experiences, and was definitive proof that challenging doesn't mean frustrating.

Ridge Racer 7 requires a lot of persistance to complete, I'm getting put off doing it though as I think the majority of people who plays online that use player only cars (meaning the one's you've unlocked in single player) have downloaded a 100% save game instead of completing the game properly and unlocking the cars themselves.

Top 1,000 in the world at PES6 once, then I found the league and gave up playing randoms.

Looking at the quality of 08's online play im unlikely to go back.

Top 1,000 in the world at PES6 360 once, then I found the league and gave up playing randoms.

Looking at the quality of 08's online play im unlikely to go back.

How!? That sounds totally impossible. I remember that knive throwing dude being solid to do, only think I ever managed to kill him once and then you had Wild Dog to contend with which I died. Never got that far again.

Think I might get a Playstation and locate a G Con for some fun times again, used to love Time Crisis 1.

I played that game so very very much though. I couldn't even begin to guess how many hours I played it.

I managed to get myself to #1 on XBox Live boards for Guilty Gear X2.

Only thing is, no-one really played it much, and it was Europe only. I still rock though.

I was the original number one. My friend was number two. This is because we were the first people to play online when it first came out though. :D

Oh man! That Green Hill Zone from SA2 looks awesome!!! :D THAT'S what a 3D Sonic Game should look like... It looked a bit weird to play, mind. But that music!! And those lovely brown-chequered patterns :(:D:wub:

In many ways it was a cruel joke, though. They force you to spend obscene amounts of time playing Sonic Adventure 2 and then go, "We could've made a game like this instead! But we didn't and you just played through all those rubbish Tails levels for the umpteenth time just to be slapped in the face. lolololol"

One of my most recent "oh my god' moments was lasering two guys for about 70-80 yards on the snow level in Halo3 - saved as a film clip if anyone wants to see it. Was a proper hand punching air moment - achievement unlocked and ego rubbed!!!

Sounds good, hook me up please! :)

I've one credited Contra and House Of The Dead 2.

I know they're not that difficult but they're the only 2 arcade games I've ever finished.

And I was in the top 25 on the Defender leaderboards on XBLA (well, I was 25th, now I'm 26th...) for about 6 months.

There ain't enough braggadocio in games these days. I am fairly poor at most games these days due to not seeing the point, lack of time or playing too many at once. XBLA is getting me back to playing the way it should be done. I have a Hori and VF5 primed for when my 360 is un-RROD also.

I'm pretty good at a few fighting games but I don't have any tournaments to my name. That might change in a couple of years when I've been to Japan (and come back to the UK with upgraded skillz).

In my experience, it isn't that much of a leap. The main thing about playing fighting games in Tokyo arcades is that people exploit. They find set combos/tactics that verge on breaking the game (sometimes using characters etc. that are known to be broken) and just mercilessly chew threw their opponents. I don't know what they get from it.

Case in point; Gundam Seed Renpou Vs ZAFT 2, arcade game - played in 2-man teams. It's well publicised online as well as (apparently in the arcade magazines) that there are two major flaws with it -

2 of the mobile suits you can use are broken; far too powerful, one especially as it exploits a bug

The camera doesn't cope well with fighting enemies that are high above you

I went into an arcade recently, and there was a team of blokes there for the full half hour I was there, playing as the two broken units and unashamedly abusing the camera trick.

I completed Deus Ex without knowing there was a walk button (wasn't very experienced with PC games at the time).

I completed Gears of War on all difficulties oblivious of the existence of squad commands, having somehow missed the pop-up instructions that show you how to use them.

I'm both thick and hardcore!