rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Eighthours

How's the novel going?

Yeah, things like that are always an interesting read. Although the chap there is coming from a true literary fiction background.

I like what I've written and it will entertain people, but I'm not good enough to get published and I don't have enough in me to be a career writer. Getting what I can from Kindle, for whatever meagre publicity effort I manage to throw together, will probably have to do for me.

Danster, from here, has read it. He said he liked it, and I trust him (used to work with him).

It's still Kindle-fodder, though. :) Just waiting for a couple more rejections, then it's time to format the document ready for an upload to Amazon.

How close are you to jumping on the Kindle wagon, Pulse? Getting on with that editing you mentioned? (You're the other comedy sci-fi writer, right? I'll buy a copy if you launch it.)

Oh, what are you going to to about cover art?

Danster, from here, has read it. He said he liked it, and I trust him (used to work with him).

SSShhhhhhh! Don't tell them that... ;)

I do like it. It's very funny.

Forgive me for offering unsolicited advice, Argh, but I've been thinking a bit about your situation. If you've determined on self-publishing then I think a presence in the social media sphere is essential to raise the profile of your work. The way that seems to me to offer the best chance of causing a snowball effect through social media given what I've gleaned of your subject matter would be to present your pages in-character. As I understand, your story is funny and has an off-beat central character (the android, right?). Could you quite easily translate him into a mascot/brand for your book? With your apparent wit I don't think creating a Facebook page with this in mind would be impossible for you to achieve. Perhaps a Twitter account with amusing in-character one-liners too? I don't know exactly how you would convert popularity of either into exposure, and importantly sales, for your work but if it comes off I'd say that having some sort of fan-base or at least awareness for the release of your book would be better than sending it out to die amongst other anonymous Kindle releases. There are some absolutely terrible books that have sold fantastically well having been self-published so you've got an advantage on the quality front right away. Make enough noise to attract attention and cross your fingers that it takes off.

I'm sure you've got your own ideas on how to publicise, and you will have received better advice from more experienced people than me, but I would be sad if you didn't give your book the best possible chance to flourish.

Hey, as long as unsolicited advice comes without an unsolicited bill, I'm all eyes.

I have no idea about publicity beyond "start a blog", so, no, what you've written is just about the best advice I've had so far.

Twitter/Facebook accounts for my character are a great idea. If something's popular, someone would make one anyway, so why not get in there first and make it official, eh?

It'll be tricky relating my character to present day Earth goings on, but, as an idea it's a great one. I think my character's good, but outside the very artificial scenario created in my novel, he might not have much to say that's clever/relevant/etc. I'll have a think about it and try to decide if I could give, say, a Twitter account enough meat to make it something that would be worth following.

Another thing holding me back from the Kindle plunge is cover-art for my novel. How long until I start a thread asking if there are any artists out there who want a free advert of their work to go out there as my cover-art...or some sort of revenue percentage share.

It's still Kindle-fodder, though. :) Just waiting for a couple more rejections, then it's time to format the document ready for an upload to Amazon.

How close are you to jumping on the Kindle wagon, Pulse? Getting on with that editing you mentioned? (You're the other comedy sci-fi writer, right? I'll buy a copy if you launch it.)

Oh, what are you going to to about cover art?

The cover will be done probably by me. As far as editting is concerned I have done bits and pieces by I'm far more into the second book. Its going quite well though.

Oh? A little artsy too, are ya? I thought I might try and just come up with some sort of cool, stylised lettering, and have a fairly empty cover overall. But really, I want something like a Terry Pratchett cover. I love those.

Do mine too then, will ya? Thanks :)

So do you think you'll finsih the second before "Kindling" the first? If at all?

The cover will be done probably by me. As far as editting is concerned I have done bits and pieces by I'm far more into the second book. Its going quite well though.

I thought you wanted me to do your cover art :(

Oh? A little artsy too, are ya? I thought I might try and just come up with some sort of cool, stylised lettering, and have a fairly empty cover overall. But really, I want something like a Terry Pratchett cover. I love those.

Do mine too then, will ya? Thanks :)

So do you think you'll finsih the second before "Kindling" the first? If at all?

Stick an f in front artsy and that is Pulsie to a t, i kid you not :lol:

Oh, what's this, a recently jilted novel cover-artist? :)

I wonder what's a good percentage of future revenue from a specific Kindle book to offer to a cover artist.

I got the report back from my editor yesterday, long overdue but welcome nonetheless. He is hugely positive about the book and only flagged up a few small things to address and rewrite. New timetable is to get those rewrites (and a few others) done in the next few weeks and then by February get this train going properly.

• Upvote 1

Going back to writing my first novel again this year, as my resolution. I sketched out the plan for a political thriller last year. It's partially born from being forced to stave off boredom by reading some godawful Tom Clancy/Andy McNab/someone else book a few years ago whilst stuck in an airport and thinking that I could probably write something just as good, if not better, were I to try.

EDIT: By the way, has anyone used Scrivener? I've been recommended to buy it.

Going back to writing my first novel again this year, as my resolution. I sketched out the plan for a political thriller last year. It's partially born from being forced to stave off boredom by reading some godawful Tom Clancy/Andy McNab/someone else book a few years ago whilst stuck in an airport and thinking that I could probably write something just as good, if not better, were I to try.

EDIT: By the way, has anyone used Scrivener? I've been recommended to buy it.

I wrote most of my novel in Word, then copied it to Google Docs... then finally bought Scrivenor. It is a great product, ideal for creating manuscripts and for breaking down chapters and sections etc; plus it will generate a Kindle friendly copy for you. Well worth it in my opinion.

I just used a free word processor and then switched over to pages on the iPad. I'm very fast at touch typing on the screen so it works for me. Now its about tyding up the grammer (using open office with extensions). I've already converted an early version over to a kindle friend type and taken a look at it. The sheer awesomeness of seeing something you have written on a kindle is brilliant. Its like

"Yes! you see something you have done can be good!"

Personally when I start selling it I'll try it out at 1.99 and see how it goes. Should have some appeal at that price.

£1.99, eh? I'm going for £1.63, just as soon as my last rejection comes in, in a couple of weeks...

I've been mulling over the psychology behind pricing in my head. I think £1.63 sounds like an attractive price. Anything ending in a nine sounds like you're just trying to "sound" cheaper. Whereas a price like £1.63 looks like it's that price for a reason.

Cover art's still an issue, I'll just let my four year old scrawl someting in MS Paint and have done with it. :)

Oh, and well done Rudi, too.

Oh, and, and, Scrivenor is very good. I've struggled with the options for formatting it as a Word document, and continually lose formatting if I've cutting an pasting between it, Word and Google Docs, but in the main it's a very useful tool. It's helped me arrange and gather my thoughts, and makes chopping and changing things, and editing a doddle. Helps with synopsis creation, too.

Edit: And there's that rejection I was waiting for. Right, I officially need a cover artist for my eBook...

I draw ever nearer to releasing my Kindle novel.

Looking for a bit of advice, though...How do you think people would react to a "comedy" author's page on Amazon? My background makes for incredibly uninteresting reading, unlike those of most of my favourite authors. Another reason being that, although I intend to use my real name, I'd like to be able to say be able to deny it's me, if anyone I don't want to know I've written a book asks me if it is me.

So, I thought I'd go for a nonsensical ramble of a bio, that talks about my past inventing hang-gliders for weasels, and suchlike. Some sort of mask for my author's photo, or a baloon with a face drawn on it...

Would this non-serious approach deter buyers? Bearing in mind my writing currently is sci-fi humour...

Also, would you bother getting an ISBN number if you're just doing Kindle publishing?

Hmmm, maybe I could pass my novel off as being authored by my main character? (a cyborg assassin)

Yeah, you're probably right. I've been browsing author bio's and it's probably best to present an "I'm a serious author" image.

It'll make deniability a little harder, though.

Yeah, you're probably right. I've been browsing author bio's and it's probably best to present an "I'm a serious author" image.

It'll make deniability a little harder, though.

God knows what I'll say about myself.

"being mentally unhinged does have it's advantages" is Pulsemynes motto when writing.

That might be a good starting point.

Anyway going through the novel has allowed me to correct some inconsistancies that I knew existed but hadn't bothered to change (just small little things really). It's also allowed me to clear something up and add bits here and there (at times there is so much talking it feels more like a script than a book but its a necessity).

The following is an Early part from the second book

'

The tavern itself was about as dark and dingy as any Belm had ever set foot in. He wondered if this was by design. Most of the customers either didn't like the world or didn't want the world to like them. So here the drowned themselves in liver punishing liquid until they keeled over. They tended to value not being seen or heard. The place was dark, smelled horribly and was overly cramped when the locals were celebrating something or other. The only thing that appealed to Belm was the drink.

He stumbled over to the bar and slapped down a small, irregularly shaped copper coin. The barkeeper looked at Belm and then down at the money before giving a grunt and serving up Belm's usual. It splashed a bit on the counter which gave a slight sizzling sound. He made an attempt to grab the drink, missing in the process not once but twice. The third time was a success and Belm went to his seat half sitting half falling back into it. The chair gave an uneasy creak.

Without warning the door to the tavern burst open. The sound of the door slamming woke the drunks at the end of the bar who groaned and squinted at the light piercing the gloom.

In the doorway stood the shape of a man. His shape was cast across the floor. The man was gasping for breath but still pocessed enough power to stumble over to the bar and ask the barkeeper for the strongest drink he had. Seconds later the man noisely glugged down a small shot of the same liquid Belm was consuming in as large a quantity as possible. A Few seconds later the man was passed out on the floor.

"Is he out?" a man with less teeth than fingers asked his friend sat next to him.

"Looks like it John!" he shoot a buck toothed grin. Both of them started searching through the fallen mans coat and trousers. The rustling of change could be heard.

"Hey.. Nice bit of silver here Tim....heh looks like he has a couple of spare buttons on him as well. Good thing as the one on my trousers is going." he opened the mans coat .

"Funny looking shirt he has on" John mused.

"Ha!...would you look at this! Very, very nice gold chain here!" Tim pulled the chain out of the mans pocket. "What the hell is this?" Belm could see the gold reflecting in Tim and Johns face. "Looks like a small version of the town clock. Never seen something like this before. Must be worth a fortune!"

Belm sobered up instantly at the news. He jumped over his table and punched Tim and John so hard that they were instantly knocked out. John now pocessed even less teeth. He rolled their bodies off the fallen man and picked up the golden object. He stared in disbelief before muttering to himself.

"Where on earth did you get this from?" he was looking at a pocket watch. an object that Belm knew for a fact wouldn't exist for another 60 years. '

Ah, I do like a bit of time travel in my sci-fi, or even the hint of it. I noticed a couple of typos in that passage if you're interested in having them pointed out?

Its an early rough version. I write stuff first and then correct it later on. I'm a somewhat lazy writer in that respect but its the way I roll.

Also the time travel bit is a huge part of the second novel. I had a ball bustingly great idea of how to use it.

Well I've started back up writing the second novel. Meanwhile some people have started reading through the first novel and quite like it despite it being sci fi and not really their thing. So that pleased me a bit.

• Upvote 1

I've just published!

I have released my book for sale on Amazon, via their Kindle publishing programme. It was quite a simple process, really. Now, I just want to do a little bit of rllmuk spam, in the hope that the community here won't mind boosting my sales a little.

Gonna start a thread in this sub-forum, that could maybe become a general published rllmuk authors thread, add a link to my sig, a quick mention in the eBooks thread in Art & Literature...and then I'l shut up about the damn thing! :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0075YUGNK/ref=docs-os-doi_0

Tongue-in-cheek, slightly daft sci-fi, that will hopefully get the odd chuckle out of you, or at least a groan.

• Upvote 2

If there's a "Bleakest Opening Section Of A Humorous Novel" award then I'm going to be a shoe in at this year's ceremony. Unless this is going to turn out far more serious then I was envisaging...