rllmuk
Dr Derek Doctors

Dead Space

Well, it's hard to put a finger on (especially since I'm basing the assumption on nothing more than edited footage) but there seems to be an odd mix of well-paced scares that segue into slow, tank-like combat. I realise the main character's encumbered in a massive space suit so it was hardly going to be a nimble affair but, like Bioshock, it looks like the scares mainly serve a precursor to some pretty stilted looking gun / heatray play.

Oh damn, a monster!

Eat my welding torch while I spin the camera about and hope for the best, you bastard!

It's likely that the connect between those two things has simply been edited out of the trailers but (and I hate to bring it up again) I'm more than a little wary after Bioshock that a nice setup is just going to serve as icing on a run-of-the-mill shooting experience with yet more me-too 'special abilities'. I'd like more Event Horizon, upping the ante, run-away scares as opposed to "Oh, another monster. Fizzle." I'm not saying that's what it'll end up like, but I'm seeing reason enough to be slightly pessimistic in those trailers.

Plus, hey, it's RLLMUK, right? Someone has to be down on the whole affair.

<_<

Well, it's hard to put a finger on (especially since I'm basing the assumption on nothing more than edited footage) but there seems to be an odd mix of well-paced scares that segue into slow, tank-like combat. I realise the main character's encumbered in a massive space suit so it was hardly going to be a nimble affair but, like Bioshock, it looks like the scares mainly serve a precursor to some pretty stilted looking gun / heatray play.

Oh damn, a monster!

Eat my welding torch while I spin the camera about and hope for the best, you bastard!

It's likely that the connect between those two things has simply been edited out of the trailers but (and I hate to bring it up again) I'm more than a little wary after Bioshock that a nice setup is just going to serve as icing on a run-of-the-mill shooting experience with yet more me-too 'special abilities'. I'd like more Event Horizon, upping the ante, run-away scares as opposed to "Oh, another monster. Fizzle." I'm not saying that's what it'll end up like, but I'm seeing reason enough to be slightly pessimistic in those trailers.

Plus, hey, it's RLLMUK, right? Someone has to be down on the whole affair.

<_<

How much of the footage have you watched?

All the precursor comics, the James Wan trailer and everything on the last page. Does that qualify me to express my admittedly uninformed feelings about the game based on the same information as everybody else?

All the precursor comics, the James Wan trailer and everything on the last page. Does that qualify me to express my admittedly uninformed feelings about the game based on the same information as everybody else?

I'm not saying you need to be qualified to say anything, I was just curious, is all.

Have you watched the stuff I posted?

Due apologies of that came off a tad confrontational, I was just worried I'd come across as some sort of troll when I actually am quite invested in seeing a horror game 'done right' since it's such a neglected genre, and one I really enjoy.

I've watched everything you posted and, honestly it reinforced my skepticism more than it assuaged it. Perhaps somewhere along the way I'd manage to convince myself that this game was something it wasn't (entirely possible) but it looks like a shooter dressed up in steel and shadows rather than an atmospheric game with some combat. I don't see that the strategic dismemberment is particularly revolutionary or indeed that much of a selling point. The E3 walkthrough especially reminded me more of Lost Planet than Alien, and that isn't what I expected to see. At all.

I don't see that the strategic dismemberment is particularly revolutionary or indeed that much of a selling point.

I have to say I disagree. The way they explain the thinking behind it, I can see their point. Rather than the enemies being damage sponges that you just pump rounds into, you have to dismember them. This means you have to aim for the various limbs, head etc, and as the guy says, doing stuff which requires thinking and precision under stress, and the potential difficulty of that, makes the combat more interesting.

I think it's a selling point because they're differentiated themselves from other shooters throught this strategic shooting element.

it looks like a shooter dressed up in steel and shadows rather than an atmospheric game with some combat.

Hopefully that's just the nature of what they wanted to show off at E3, rather than a reflection of the game as a whole. The producers have talked about how there are plenty of sections without combat, and the game will be a lot better if that's true.

Hopefully that's just the nature of what they wanted to show off at E3, rather than a reflection of the game as a whole. The producers have talked about how there are plenty of sections without combat, and the game will be a lot better if that's true.

Yes, there is more to it than the combat, some puzzles, lots of shocks and frights, but it is undoubtedly a shooter like RE4.

Looks so slow, Resi 4 got away with it because of the atmosphere and hard as nails zombies, the gameplay looks like it should be ten times as fast and have millions of enemies ala GunValkyrie otherwise it just looks dull.

Looks so slow, Resi 4 got away with it because of the atmosphere and hard as nails zombies, the gameplay looks like it should be ten times as fast and have millions of enemies ala GunValkyrie otherwise it just looks dull.

I disagree. If anything the creatures in this look way harder than the zombies and they seem to have the atmosphere in there as well. He's a miner with iron armor and huge steel boots, he shouldn't move like Ryu Hayabusa. Besides, horror benefits from slow gameplay, in particular when targeting particular parts of the body seems to be an integral part of it.

The sound effects and enemy cries are very, very good - the half speech, half monster screams are really disturbing. The presentation and lighting in general, particularly the blood coming out of the floating dead bodies and the fancy holograms, is excellent. The dynamic camera that moves into exciting angles when something happens to you is also interesting, e.g.: when you fall on your back it pans upwards to show a birds-eye view of you on your arse, and when that claw grabs your leg and starts pulling you in one of the gameplay videos you get a nice low angle of you being tugged to your doom. This, coupled with the intergrated HUD, makes everything very immersing.

I'm not a huge fan of the Prey-style wall-walking though - it seemed to make everything disorientating (obviously) but then also confusing, and you couldn't see where the baddies were hitting you from; it seems odd to substitute the claustraphobia that fills most survival horrors with unrestricted flying about. The tension doesn't really come to fruition in a lot of places either, from the footage I've seen: for all the darkness, blood and confined space, most of the nasties appear about ten foot or more away from you at any time, slowly ambling around a corner, giving you time to prepare and shoot them before they get near to you; I didn't jump once, nor notice anything that could potentially make me jump had I been playing the game in about four gameplay videos. There's a lot of panic-stricken moments, when you're surrounded by aliens, but the atmosphere (which is actually built up well) seems to be wasted when there's nothing there to make you suddenly go "ARGH!!!". More like "uh-oh, there's a monster over there, hold on while I get the right gun to shoot it with". I hope there are some more genuine scares in the levels that we haven't seen yet - the frightening premise is the only realt USP in this game to seperate it from every other grey sci-fi shooter, apart from maybe the dismemberment thing.

Still looks pretty good though - there's a lot of cool little things that add up to make it stand out and it's already pretty well polished with a few months left for development. It's basically Resi 4 in space with lots of blown off legs floating about, but I don't think it makes any allegations of being novel, and I couldn't care either way as it is.

Have you played it, JJ?

I'm asking because the guys over at 1UPYours were talking about this and those who played it at E3 were more impressed by this than they were with Resi 5.

Have you played it, JJ?

I'm asking because the guys over at 1UPYours were talking about this and those who played it as E3 were more impressed by this than they were with Resi 5.

Nope, not me, just watched most of the trailers and said what I saw :).

I'm not a huge fan of the Prey-style wall-walking though - it seemed to make everything disorientating (obviously) but then also confusing, and you couldn't see where the baddies were hitting you from; it seems odd to substitute the claustraphobia that fills most survival horrors with unrestricted flying about.

It isn't unrestricted, though, it only occurs in sections of the ship where the gravity has failed.

There are some very good impressions of this over at GAF.

The game looks like it's completely soaked in atmosphere. I'm with Vemsie and Smitty on this, I see a solid and gorgeous horror game.

most of the nasties appear about ten foot or more away from you at any time, slowly ambling around a corner, giving you time to prepare and shoot them before they get near to you; I didn't jump once, nor notice anything that could potentially make me jump

I'm in agreement with this - but I guess it isn't the easiest thing to create a game where the tension is in the location and the situation you are faced with. Would most players want a game without a lot of enemies, but rather a select few who moved around a lot and kept you on your toes for a long period? I always liked the way the original Tomb Raider was an exploration game with small periods of combat excitement - can this be transported into something more dynamic in a corridor environment like Dead Space will feature?

The videos are looking good at this point and the presentation is nicely worked, so I hope it all comes together well when released.

This looks really, really good in terms of atmosphere. I just hope that there's lots of quiet times before the shooty bits. The combat looks like the worst part of the game for me. If there aren't a lot more enemy designs than we've seen, it could get pretty repetitive.

This looks really, really good in terms of atmosphere. I just hope that there's lots of quiet times before the shooty bits. The combat looks like the worst part of the game for me. If there aren't a lot more enemy designs than we've seen, it could get pretty repetitive.

The enemies look a bit pants, really. Agree about downtime between enemies - I think that's what ruined Bioshock for me (atlhough that was a FPS)

Hell, I'm playing Cold Fear at the moment, though -so I'll be picking this up.

Ive a friend who has played the code of this, and is very positive about the game, so much so hes convinced me to put this onto preorder already. Its now one of my most anticipated games, kind of like a cross between Aliens, Event Horizon and The Thing :o

I don't like the enemy design at all, and I'm not a fan of the sort of combat which has been shown up to now. However, I love the setting and the story shows promise. I'm in the "less but more scary/relevant enemies" camp.

I don't really get this complaint.

There are number of different enemy types. Some heavy and slow, some fast, some able to launch projectiles, an exploding type, some able to hit you with tentacles at distance, and one type that spews lots of little enemies.

IMO, these seem enough types of enemies. As for repetition, what does it matter if the combat is good? RE4 has massive amounts of repetition, mostly shooting one type of enemy repeatedly.

This has a mix of enemy types, and weapons, but also has mechanics extra mechanics that RE4 doesn't, ie the tk (gravity) gun and the stasis beam.

The reason why I keep comparing this to RE4 is because you could have levelled all of these comments at RE4, but that turned out rather excellent. This actual has additional elements which could make things a bit more interesting.

As for the enemy design, wether you like that or not is up to you, obviously, but I sympathise with the dev team on that matter.

They have apparently been through a bunch of revisions of the enemy design. When they were told it looked too much like one thing or another, they would redesign.

The problem is that, really, there is not an infinite range of designs for alien/humanoid mix type enemies. When you designing them you are bound to run into comparisons, as there are so many other designs that we are familar with from tv,movies and games.

Add in the fact that most of the enemy types are

recognisably mutated/reanimated humans

, and you have certain limitations to design.

So they have to work around their concept, all the many and varied designs that we've all seen before, and come up with some as original as possible. I think it's difficult.

I think the enemies are fine, they are suitably disgusting.