rllmuk
Dr Derek Doctors

Dead Space

I think it looks pretty good, personally. The graphics are fookin wicked, and the weapons looks very industrial (well, they are) and satisfying to use.

Loving the design, as well.

My interest continues....and fingers crossed, because i'm getting excited about this one.

*edit*

Oh, man, I love the no gravity bit where he jumps around. The stasis beam (gravity gun) thing is cool, as well. Back to the design, perfect industrial no-frills stuff, reminds me of Event Horizon, with the spikes in that room.

WHOOO!

I thought it looked fairly routine(but good) till he started doing the zero gravity jumps.

The AI seemed a bit ropey though, half the enemies looked like they were getting stuck on the corners of things.

Two things:

They might still be working on that element of it.

I think those are a slow, shambling sorta enemy and perhaps they just stagger around like that.

EA occasionally output a reasonable sports title, but outside of publishing third party stuff their output rarely breaks the 'it's alright' barrier.

By way of demonstration - observe as Dead Space (a game I know nothing about) gets around a 6 or 7/10. The next 'Army of Two' if you like. Alright, but not really worth looking at beyond a rental.

(Dead Space is an internal EA project yeah?)

This is like Assasins Creed all over again for me. Love the setting, love the videos, love the idea of the game itself, lots of people expressing doubts when it all looked brilliant to me.

Had to buy AC anyway at launch because I was so excited about the game that it could potentially have been.

Turns out I got bored of it pretty quickly, but that potential was always there - same as it is for me here. Even when the reviews and the forum feedback for AC started to come in I was still excited about playing the game for myself.

This is like Assasins Creed all over again for me. Love the setting, love the videos, love the idea of the game itself, lots of people expressing doubts when it all looked brilliant to me.

Had to buy AC anyway at launch because I was so excited about the game that it could potentially have been.

Turns out I got bored of it pretty quickly, but that potential was always there - same as it is for me here. Even when the reviews and the forum feedback for AC started to come in I was still excited about playing the game for myself.

Except for the fact that you haven't played Dead Space, so you don't know if it'll bore you :blink:.

I think it looks pretty damn promising and from what I'm hearing through the grapevine, this is a really good title.

Except for the fact that you haven't played Dead Space, so you don't know if it'll bore.

I think it looks pretty damn promising and from what I'm hearing through the grapevine, this is a really good title.

Yeah, it's got some interesting elements coming together. I hope they make the most of the puzzle/physics elements, I really want a RE4-style game where you have more interaction with the environment than merely throwing switches or the like.

All I'm hoping for is dynamic frickin' enemies.

None of this OOOH WALK THROUGH A TRIGGER AND SOMETHING SPOOKY APPEARS. I want enemies that proper stalk you through corridors. They're there, somewhere in the space station LOOKING FOR YOU. That would be absolutely terrifying and I haven't seen it in a game since AvP1. Like I've said in other threads, every modern horror game is one massive scripted piece of not scary. Bring on the dynamic stuff! Please! I want the unexpected.

Sluggish movement for the win. Leon is a TANK in Resident Evil 4, and purposefully so - It works. Running about like a ninja does not for tension make.

I'm not sure what El Stevo is trying to do there. Maybe he or she can explain themselves.

It.

I don't know, it just that this game might "change your opinion" of EA - an opinion which, when expressed by someone else, you attacked. That seemed a bit strange.

Anyway, reading interviews about this game reveals that its development has been quite a departure from the usual EA methodology with the emphasis heavily on prototyping and iteration. It seems EA is really keen to try something different here and hopefully it will pay off and be successful. I can't say I'm too enthusiastic to be honest but that's just because I'm not really a horror fan, I suspect it might be a decent game.

Loads of new media:

Loved Ones trailer

by Saw director James Wan.

EA conference at E3

Conference footage, producer talks about features, story and so on whilst game is played. New footage. Ends with the Lullaby trailer below.

Lullaby trailer

Another spooky trailer

EA3 Producer interview

The executive producer talks in detail about the games features, mechanics and so. Lots of very good new footage.

E3 Producer interview

Even more discussion about the story, features, mechanics from the producer.

Producer walkthrough cam footage

Gameplay. Ends with player taking down large enemy seen in the conference footage in a very different way.

Strategic dismemberment featurette

The team talk about Dead Space's main mechanic in some considerable depth, explaining how it affects the gameplay, its importance, and the thinking behind it.

I'm sooooooo excited about this game. I love everything about it particularly the design the no hud approach. Looks superb.

I'm still into the overall look and everything - just the slow and slightly awkward movement is a bit of a concern. Hopefully the final result is worth the interest.

Looks like a quality title to me, if nothing particularly new. The overall look and vibe is nice, liking the lead character design.

Shame the monsters aren't more unique... quite generic doom-like hell spawn stuff.

Does look a little slow, but as has been mentioned already it might 'work' in the context of this game.

Yeah want.

Those animated comics are certainly interesting and they set the tone / establish the back story very well. It's a shame the dialogue is quite ham-fisted and the art looks as though it was never intended to appear in a rostrum sort of closeup; hopefully the in-game voice work is a bit better.

I'm still not overly sure what I think of the gameplay itself, but time will bear that one out.

I'm still not overly sure what I think of the gameplay itself, but time will bear that one out.

It certainly has more potential there then its closest comparison, Resident Evil 4.

This has strategic dismembement, the tk device (gravity gun) and the status effect (slowing time).

I'm still into the overall look and everything - just the slow and slightly awkward movement is a bit of a concern. Hopefully the final result is worth the interest.

It seems practically identical to Leon in RE4, to my eyes.

Oh, the potential's absolutely there but it comes over quite... clunky at the moment. There are a few months to iron any creases out, of course and the game's certainly on my 'watch' list - there isn't nearly enough horror around these days.