Dr Derek Doctors

Dead Space

Trailer at <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27174.html" target="_blank">http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27174.html</a> webpage at <a href="http://www.ea.com/deadspace/" target="_blank">http://www.ea.com/deadspace/</a> - really quite like the look of it, as there's a nice organic feeling to the trailer which hints at body-horror where the particles floating in space resemble cells in a bloodstream somehow. Plus the music has a bit of a The Shining vibe.

Obviously very inspired in its look by The Thing (in fact some of the creatures seen in fleeting shots resemble those of the video game adaption of The Thing and also remind me a bit of that very first ace concept art from Bioshock of the human/insect hybrid (http://www.bioshock-online.com/image.asp?concept=2) ). It's certainly worth a keeping an eye on, even if it is being made by the Axis Of Evi- sorry, EA.

Y'all seen the other trailer for this on XBL?

I think this looks it could be great.

I was like ''whoooo yeah bring it on'' after seeing it.

It's Event Horizon!

Don't get me wrong I love that film, this has potential to be ace, a sort of Resi in space, however I'm not getting my hopes up...

Dino Crisis 3 was Resi in space...

The no-HUD thing is sex up your bum. I love sci-fi space shit and the graphics look sweet.

Genuinely excited after the preview and the trailers.

There's some excellent footage in that dev diary.

I think there's a lot of potential here, RE4 in space + Aliens + Event Horizon could be sick.

The no-HUD thing is sex up your bum. I love sci-fi space shit and the graphics look sweet.

Genuinely excited after the preview and the trailers.

Man I was so right about my reply to you in the GTA thread, RE: Halo :lol:

What, pray tell, was that comment?

Well it was a "quote reply" to someone else, but also for you

See Halo is popular with gamers cos it's space and monsters and it calls out to geeks.

Anyway the design looks spiffy (some great drawings in the dev diary) and the ship is called the Ishimura, for fuck's sake. It's bound to be ace.

One thing it already has over RE4 is that there is a proper damage model for the enemies - limbs can be shot or hacked off. Melee looks very intense.

It also sounds like it'll have some nice physical puzzles, something I felt RE4 missed out on.

Isaac has a gravity gun, again something over RE4.

Another preview:

<a href="http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/dead_spa...review-759.html" target="_blank">http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/dead_spa...review-759.html</a>

Apart from the strategic dismemberment, EA was keen to push how the development team has achieved super-realistic Zero Gravity in the game. We were able to experience this for ourselves, in a large room with loads of aliens and a simple physics-based puzzle. Once the Zero Gravity kicked in, Isaac was able to float towards any surface in the room, making it the floor beneath his feet and flipping the camera. It's extremely disorienting at first, but once you get used to it, the room does to a certain extent become a playground. As the aliens crawl on the floor, walls and ceilings, you're able to hunt them down wherever they go simply by floating towards them. And, if you manage to relieve an alien of its arm, for example, it will slowly float away, with blood following closely behind.

Once the aliens were cleared, we were able to eject the air in the room and create a vacuum, bringing to mind another classic scene from Aliens where Ripley tries to blast the Queen out of the airlock. Once the vacuum was created, the sound changed completely. You can hear Isaac breathing and grunting as he moves. You can hear his heart pounding as he runs from the aliens. You can here the muffled pulse of your Plasma Cutter and the groaning of metal as a large spinning structure swept the room. It really did feel like it might if, on the off chance, you were stuck in a zero gravity vacuum on board an alien infested space ship.

The weapons, especially the Plasma Cutter, do feel fresh. The ability to change the orientation of the plasma blast so that you can control what limbs you are sawing off (go for the legs so they hit the deck, the arms so they can't cut you) feels cool and looks cool. What doesn't feel fresh is the ability every weapon has to pick up objects and chuck them about, called the TK Gun. Ring any bells?

It's a complete rip-off of Half Life 2's Gravity Gun of course. It won't win any awards for originality, but there are some useful and cool sounding applications of it. Say, for example, you're low on ammo and are down to one Plasma Cutter burst. You're jumped by an alien and have some distance between you and it. You switch the Plasma Cutter to vertical orientation, fire and slice its razor-sharp claw arm right off, use the TK Gun to drag the arm to you, then fire it off at the alien, dismembering it. Sounds nice.

You missed out the whole gameplay thingy.
Anyway the design looks spiffy (some great drawings in the dev diary) and the ship is called the Ishimura, for fuck's sake. It's bound to be ace.

LOLZ! Pre-judging already are we? (I hope you read the whole piece).

Man. Listen. What I mean is that it's core ideals will appeal. Hell, I love space operas and all that shiz! But the way you ground your game with that core story and world it's set against makes a difference.

If they'd filmed a re-imagined LOTR in Brixton it wouldn't have been as popular. It does not fire up people's imaginations as much.

LOLZ! Pre-judging already are we? (I hope you read the whole piece).

Yes, of course I read the whole peice. No, i'm not pre-judging. I do find the individual parts very interesting, wether they all match up to make a quality title obviously remains to be seen.

I would rather think that would go without saying, however.

Do you think I was being entirely serious when I said it was bound to be ace because the ship is called Ishimura?

I was just joking, I think it's a bloody cool name though, and city-sized ships always get me hard.

Ah, I think this really shaping up well.

Looks like it's going to have some real pant-shitting moments.

I love the industrial design.

That preview above sounds is really positive, as well. So glad they're going for the hard, realistic angle in terms of the design and the science.