IGNORED

Animal Crossing: City Folk

Liquid Myth

Story, and text below for those at work:

EDGE magazine is reporting that Nintendo's Wii iteration of its hugely popular Animal Crossing franchise is taking a massively multiplayer online direction.

While we're still waiting for Nintendo to officially confirm anything about a Wii version of Animal Crossing (apart from the fact that it's coming), Edge's latest issue opens with the news lead: "Animal Crossing goes MMO".

The latest issue of the mag reports, "A Japanese source has confirmed to Edge that the upcoming Wii iteration of Animal Crossing is set to be a social networking MMO."

No further details are reported so we're left hanging about exactly when we'll be able to buy cheap turnips off the black market in Russia.

So will everyone choose an animal and customise it appropriately? Or will we be using stylised Mii avatars? Or will the animals in question be all but a myth?

Speculate.

In a lot of ways, Animal Crossing's an offline MMO. So an MM, then.

I think this will absolutely destroy lives, by the way. It'll more than likely be hellishly addictive, to even greater degrees than WoW and the like. It'll be a genuine second life, a bit like...er,Second Life. Only good. And with turnips instead of flying pink dildos, and fruit-swapping as a euphemism for cybersex.

I can see the Take A Break cover now: "Animal Crossing Wii ruined my marriage!"

Interesting..

I wonder if it will focus on your town still, or if there will be more of a larger world that your area slots into and people can visit with friends codes.

Its an exciting prospect either way, but since I'm trying to never play mmo's again this puts me in an uncomfortable position.

wii_prints_money_large.gif

I wonder what the Japanese will make of this. Do they "do" MMO's? How has say WoW done out there?

I guess it doesn't really matter, Animal Crossing Wii is gonna be huge there, and everywhere for that matter.

FFXI is massive over there.

Yay, that's cool!

I imagine it'll either work by giving you your own town and having it constantly connected to other towns (so anyone can drop in or out at will - like Wild World but always on and support for more players at a time), or you'll live alongside other people in the same town, stored on the server. You'll have your own house and can walk around town talking to other people, and maybe the animals can be NPCs to boost the population a it. Maybe have a dozen or so players living in town with other towns visitable through the gates.

FaceNook, anyone?

:(

If by 'do', you mean 'sit in front of them for days at a time until they actually die', then yes.

Yes that's sort of what I meant.

FFXI is massive over there.

Interesting.

Let's not forget, this is Nintendo, who will be shitting themselves about all the "Peado stalks kids - Online!" headlines so I would take this story with a pinch of salt. There will surely be some sort of a code or something which will only enable you to interact with people you know. I can't see them going the whole MMO route. It will pretty much be Wild World on Wii.

Where is scottcr?

He has passed out from the massive boner he got from reading this news.

If this is exactly like the DS version then in my eyes its failed to deliver. If its going to be an MMO then it'll have to expand its scale and scope and provide a proper living world for players to explore. Exploration of other players towns will be fun but limited in terms of an MMO styled experience.

It needs to explore joint exploration and group events more, rather than just fishing by the sea.

I'm not knocking Animal crossing, i love the DS version and so does my gf but this has to be more.

Let's not forget, this is Nintendo, who will be shitting themselves about all the "Peado stalks kids - Online!" headlines so I would take this story with a pinch of salt. There will surely be some sort of a code or something which will only enable you to interact with people you know. I can't see them going the whole MMO route. It will pretty much be Wild World on Wii.

I agree. If this turns out half as open and half as "massively" (first M in MMO, don't forget) as we want it to be, then it'll mark a major U-turn in Nintendo's online gaming policy. I just can't see Nintendo letting me wander into some six year-old's town uninvited, and putting a sign up with a magenta cock drawn on it.

What I'd be expecting is something slightly less massive. Towns are perpetual and can be shared by up to 16 players, who each get a house of their own. Friend codes only.

A way round that would be to allow the player to communicate with randoms only using emotes, with typed speech only enabled between friends.