All Tomorrow's Parties 2008

Ben

Both ATP's for next May have now been confirmed and the first couple of bands have been announced. EiTS seem a slightly strange choice of curator, and I'm not sure if they'll have the same contacts as other groups have had in the past but I'm sure it'll be a good lineup, as well, they always are. I should be heading to the Pitchfork one regardless.

Weekend One - Pitchfork vs ATP

May 9-11th

Camber Sands

CHOSEN BY ATP

WEEN »

SEBADOH »

FUCK BUTTONS »

PISSED JEANS »

APSE »

THE BLACK ANGELS »

SHIT AND SHINE »

MEAT PUPPETS »

CHOSEN BY PITCHFORK

DIRTY PROJECTORS »

OF MONTREAL »

CARIBOU »

MAN MAN »

GLASS CANDY »

LOS CAMPESINOS! »

NO AGE »

LES SAVY FAV »

HOT CHIP

Weekend Two - Explosions in the Sky

May 16-18th

Minehead

CURATED BY EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY

BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE »

IRON AND WINE

EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY »

DINOSAUR JR

ADEM

....AND YOU WILL KNOW US BY THE TRAIL OF THE DEAD

The line ups are both bobbins so far

Does that mean you're not familiar with the bands who are playing, so you're just writing the line-up off? It's worth going for The Black Angels alone and treating everything else as a bonus - best band I've seen this year out of about 30 gigs, and their debut album Passover is all time classic material. If you like anything from The Velvets, The Doors, 13th Floor Elevators, Jesus And Mary Chain, Syd Barrett era Floyd, Spacemen 3, you will definitely connect with what the Black Angels are doing. Phenomenal band

The Pissed Jeans will be worth seeing too - Stooges style garage fuckups with monumental sheets of noise and feedback. Their album, Hope For Men, is a horrible mess of a record that will clear a room in seconds - and I mean that as a compliment.

The pitchfork line up is AMAZE! All of those bands are superb live, (with the exception of glass candy, who I haven't seen or heard of before, and Los Campesinos, who I can't stand). Dirty Projectors and Man Man will probably be unexpectedly brilliant treats for quite a few, I'd imagine. Stupid final year exams mean I can't go, though. :angry:

Pitchfork is gash. I can't see them putting on many bands i'd wanna see but ATP will put on some good stuff. Pissed Jeans sound awesome. EITS are a bit overrated but i can see the line up improving, the only band i really like on that one is Dinosaur Jr. I might just go to the one where i know the least, the ATPs i've been to i've wanted to see loads and ended up not checking out anything new.

EDIT: I used to really like Trail of Dead but the last couple of albums have been really iffy. I tried liking world apart, it just didn't work. I bet they still kick ass live though

The only problem I had with the ATP I attended earlier in the year at Minehead is the new main stage in the marquee, which allows everyone to see the larger bands but makes it feel more like a standard festival. Virtually all the bands I saw in the club rooms were excellent, but there was no real atmosphere on the main stage - stuff like Yo La Tengo and Mogwai got completely lost.

Pitchfork is gash. I can't see them putting on many bands i'd wanna see

Have you heard owt by the bands they've picked so far? Excellent, thoughtful choices: Caribou, Dirty Projectors, Of Montreal and Hot Chip are all dealbreakers for me, along with last year's highlights LSF.

Does that mean you're not familiar with the bands who are playing, so you're just writing the line-up off? It's worth going for The Black Angels alone and treating everything else as a bonus - best band I've seen this year out of about 30 gigs, and their debut album Passover is all time classic material. If you like anything from The Velvets, The Doors, 13th Floor Elevators, Jesus And Mary Chain, Syd Barrett era Floyd, Spacemen 3, you will definitely connect with what the Black Angels are doing. Phenomenal band

The Pissed Jeans will be worth seeing too - Stooges style garage fuckups with monumental sheets of noise and feedback. Their album, Hope For Men, is a horrible mess of a record that will clear a room in seconds - and I mean that as a compliment.

He's right about the Pissed Jeans.

I wonder how Oink getting taken down (if it's permanent) will affect the experience for me (and I definitely intend to cajole enough people into going with me to at least one of these, probably the Pitchfork one). Before, I could always check out the bands playing by downloading their most recent album. It's not as if you'll stand a chance of finding them in your average HMV or Virgin. Maybe I'll have to take more chances on unknown bands, but that won't be as fun as having an idea of what to expect.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I downloaded a Shit and Shine album (that was limited to 500 copies and now sold out) from Oink the other day which I now love and would never have been able to hear otherwise - can't wait to see them now (and actually bought another one of their albums from Amazon).

Give emusic a try if you haven't already, you'll find many ATP-type bands on there. I picked up the Black Angels album from it last week.

I've never been to one of these but the wife and i are thinking of going to the Camber Sands weekend but were wondering what the chalets are like. Does anyone know what the 4 berth ones are like? Is there one bedroom or two? Is it bad form to hire a 4 berth and then only have 2 people staying in it?

I've never been to one of these but the wife and i are thinking of going to the Camber Sands weekend but were wondering what the chalets are like. Does anyone know what the 4 berth ones are like? Is there one bedroom or two? Is it bad form to hire a 4 berth and then only have 2 people staying in it?

I don't know about bad-form (although it is likely to sell out so you'll be denying two punters a ticket) but it seems like a needless expense to pay an extra £300 for 3 nights accomodation. The accomodation at Minehead was more than adequate and looking at the Camber Sands Pontins website, a 4 berth bedroom has 2 bedrooms with two single beds each. Get self-catering too, if there's a choice.

Couple of new additions to the ATP/Pitchfork lineup :lol:

NEW CONFIRMATIONS

There are four more confirmations for the ATP Vs. Pitchfork today:

For ATP we have:

Wooden Shjips

Deerhunter

And for Pitchfork there is:

The Hold Steady

Black Lips

I saw Deerhunter & Black Lips at the weekend, and both were excellent (Deerhunter especially so) and I've wanted to see The Hold Steady for a while now. Wooden Shjips sound pretty good in a VU kinda way from the Myspace tracks too :(

bph did you go to Release The Bats?

I thought Deerhunter were absolutely spectacular then! As well as the Black Lips, who were so entertaining. A lot of the people who I know who also went thought Deerhunter were boring or just simply crap, which makes them soulless.

I really didn't dig Black Lips personally. Unfortunately my friends being stuck in traffic meant that I missed deerhunter & fuck buttons, both of whom I really wanted to see! Still, it was a pretty fun night!

bph did you go to Release The Bats?

I thought Deerhunter were absolutely spectacular then! As well as the Black Lips, who were so entertaining. A lot of the people who I know who also went thought Deerhunter were boring or just simply crap, which makes them soulless.

Unfortunately not, I saw them at a festival in Leeds. They only did a 30 minute set so looking forward to seeing them doing a longer show. They've had very mixed reviews live which I can't really understand as I thought they were amazing, one of the best live bands I've seen this year. The Black Lips seemed quite a strange choice on that line-up but as a straight-up rock'n'roll live band they're hard to beat.