Super Street Fighter IV (3DS/PS3/X360)

Cyhwuhx

Just lost it tonight. Getting fights via arcade requests seems to result in a better class of opponent than searching, and I lost a number of tight matches and got worse from there. Whiffed everything: Hadoken when I wanted SRK, EX SRK when I wanted Ultra, completely unable to do LP SRK with LP on the left bumper, lost matches despite having a 50+% health advantage. Discover how annoying Akuma's air fireball can be. By the end I was playing like a noob Ken. This game totally messes with you sometimes.

Managed to half my BP. Great. It'll take flippin forever to get it back up.

Is there somewhere I can read about all the different terms you guys use?

I can't understand half of what you all talk about.

What are SRKs? What are cross ups?

Etc. Etc.

SRK = Shoryuken!

"Whiffed" = screwed up basically, though I think to be accurate it is mistiming a move so it comes out and leaves you opened to be pusnished.

A flying attack can be countered by a standing block. However if you have a suitable attack and good timing, you can jump over your opponent so the hit connects on the other side - in order to block you have to push forward rather than back. So you've crossed the opponents mid line ir "crossed up" the opponent. Ryu or Ken's Flying MK is excellent for it.

Just lost it tonight. Getting fights via arcade requests seems to result in a better class of opponent than searching, and I lost a number of tight matches and got worse from there. Whiffed everything: Hadoken when I wanted SRK, EX SRK when I wanted Ultra, completely unable to do LP SRK with LP on the left bumper, lost matches despite having a 50+% health advantage. Discover how annoying Akuma's air fireball can be. By the end I was playing like a noob Ken. This game totally messes with you sometimes.

Managed to half my BP. Great. It'll take flippin forever to get it back up.

That happened to me a couple of days ago. I went from 1000 to 400 BP. Then I had a storming session with Honda and it flew up to 1400 in an hour. I got 10 wins in a row.

A flying attack can be countered by a standing block. However if you have a suitable attack and good timing, you can jump over your opponent so the hit connects on the other side - in order to block you have to push forward rather than back. So you've crossed the opponents mid line ir "crossed up" the opponent. Ryu or Ken's Flying MK is excellent for it.

Just to say, NUTS, if you don't quite get this, don't worry. Ask someone to do one for you, or see a video of one, and you'll get it no problem. They're easier seen than explained in words.

I've decided to stick with Abel as my main now, I'm still not very good but it does feel pretty satisfying and keeps you on your toes even if you lose, if I played as Ken I'd probably fall into flowchart mentality without thinking. I've been working on the FADC to absorb fireballs, great fun to just do that to someone spamming fireballs and just blaze through with the ultra :) He's not really got any good wake up moves for people standing over you though has he? I keep trying to do his command throw but a lot of the time I get thrown normally instead, the wheel kick is armour breaking but goes over peoples heads a lot of the time or I'm just too late with it.

Heh. Funnily enough, that's pretty much how I mashed through to unlock Akuma. Though with more jumping HP. And a few jumping HK -> crouching MK -> Spinny Kick Thing thrown in for good measure.

I'm gonna give his instruction mode thing a go tonight to see if I can learn any decent combos...

Is Ken just the cheapest character, then?

Heh. Funnily enough, that's pretty much how I mashed through to unlock Akuma. Though with more jumping HP. And a few jumping HK -> crouching MK -> Spinny Kick Thing thrown in for good measure.

I'm gonna give his instruction mode thing a go tonight to see if I can learn any decent combos...

Is Ken just the cheapest character, then?

Nah, Sagat is probably even more annoying and Zangief has some horrible stuff. But you tend to get continual Flaming SRK spammers with Ken and it does a rather annoying amount of damage if you get tagged with it. If you are lucky, they might know two combos which they'll repeat endlessly. It's normally easy to knock them about with a bit of patience, but drop your game or muck up counters and expect to see your charcater repeatedly in flames.

Oh and scroat Ken's have a habit of ragequiting.

So much Ken hate. :)

Anyway, IGN reckon the Championship Mode patch is coming March 31, a week tomorrow!

Championship Mode

The first expansion pack for Street Fighter IV, Championship Mode adds several unique and gameplay enriching options to Street Fighter IV's already robust feature set.

Replay Mode -- Record, upload, and download top matches to share with the Street Fighter IV community. Players can analyze top tiered fighters matches, leave voter feedback for others, and share their own triumphant victories.

New Points System -- Two new points systems to measure your skill (Championship and Tournament Points)

Enhanced Tournament Matching System -- Skill level matching system offers improved tournament match making for beginners and mid-level players. Competitors earn Grade Points (GP) to earn entry into more advanced tournaments.

Release Date: March 31, 2009 (US)

I won't lie, I love playing as Ken, but probably for all the reason people hate him. He's easily got the easiest controls and supers and takes a lot of damage off people. It's a good character to start with, but I've started moving onto other characters now to try and get used to them aswell.

The thing about SF IV is that for all the talk about character tiers, the ones printed are only valid for high level play. There are definite tiers for low and mid ability players. Ken being an absolute beast in both section. It's so easy to cancel heavy punch to flaming SRK to take off a fifth of the opponent's energy. It's relatively simple to chain Supers and Ultras into combos - far more so that with charge characters. His sweeps have high priority than pretty much all other players and his cross up game (which can easily be done by chance, not choice) is first rate.

The top tier mid-ability character is Zangeif - face off against a competent 'Geif and unless you have a solid game play and reactions to match, then you're on the back foot from the start. Akuma and Sagat hover between being tops for beginners and mid level, needing more ability than Ken to get the most, but with more impact when you know them. Scrub Ryus are far, far easier than scrub Kens, Akumas or Sagats.

The thing about SF IV is that for all the talk about character tiers, the ones printed are only valid for high level play. There are definite tiers for low and mid ability players. Ken being an absolute beast in both section. It's so easy to cancel heavy punch to flaming SRK to take off a fifth of the opponent's energy. It's relatively simple to chain Supers and Ultras into combos - far more so that with charge characters. His sweeps have high priority than pretty much all other players and his cross up game (which can easily be done by chance, not choice) is first rate.

Not sure about a lot of that - comboing his Ultra is very, very tricky compared to a lot of others because it has zero range and a slow startup. Apart from air EX tatsu, or a very deep j.FP or HK, he has no Ultra setups that don't require FADC (and FADC needs to be off the second hit of the FP SRK unless it's counterhit). Compare that to the ease of input that is Chun's EX Legs -> Ultra (my knowledge of other charge characters is limited, sorry) and I don't think he stacks up all that well. As for using his Super, it's no easier than with any other character with 2xFB super motions. I only ever use it by accident, EX is far more useful to Ken than his Super imo, unless it's for a chip win.

As for the crossup, yes to a point but a) it takes a fair bit of skill as wrong timing can result in getting thrown or anti-air, and b) as most of the flowchart sorts jump in with HK which doesn't cross up properly I don't see it as that much of an issue.

The only area in which he has a definite advantage is fierce SRK which does a lot of damage and knocks down. However if it whiffs you're wide fucking open and your opponent has plenty of time to think about what he's going to do while you're flame-punching the fucking health bar up the top of the screen there. FP SRK as counterhit is fucking huge but IMO it's your own fault for letting it happen. Stop sticking your leg out randomly and that SRK will whiff nine times out of ten.

I fucking love Ken.

The only area in which he has a definite advantage is fierce SRK which does a lot of damage and knocks down. However if it whiffs you're wide fucking open and your opponent has plenty of time to think about what he's going to do while you're flame-punching the fucking health bar up the top of the screen there. FP SRK as counterhit is fucking huge but IMO it's your own fault for letting it happen. Stop sticking your leg out randomly and that SRK will whiff nine times out of ten.

I fucking love Ken.

Yes and no. It's not necessarily random sweeping and that SRK as a reversal causes MASSIVE PAIN. Cross-up too early? > Shoryuken!!! Cross up too late? Shoryuken!!!! Mistimed jumping attack? Shoryuken!!!! Fraction too slow on a combo? Shoryuken!!!!! Whiff anything? Shoryuken!!!! Feet hit first after air attack so you sweep? Reversal Shoryuken!!!! Yes, those are all weakness that can be avoided and you really need to stop doing. But few other characters offer that kind of damage potential or punishment for a scrub.

Ryu's Ultra is a lot easier comboed though. I love Jab SRK -> Ultra. I just wish I could start doig it more than 10% of the time again.

Just messing about in training; Kens medium dragon punch does more damage than his fierce at close range... i did not know that.

I cannot FADC into ken's ultra no matter how hard I try.

Also, I was having a nosey around on shoryuken.com; some of the rampant elitism there is mind boggling.

Also, I was having a nosey around on shoryuken.com; some of the rampant elitism there is mind boggling.

Yeah they're really not happy with all the new members asking silly questions. Joe Masters in the Ken forum does my fucking crust in to be honest.

MP SRK is his best anti-air as well, and if it only hits once you can juggle another MP SRK as they fall. Pretty weird really as in 15+ years of Street Fighter before SF4 I can probably count the number of times I've used MP SRK on one hand, now I use it four or five times per match.

Like I said earlier you have to FADC after the second hit of the FP SRK as that's the one that knocks up.

Yeah they're really not happy with all the new members asking silly questions. Joe Masters in the Ken forum does my fucking crust in to be honest.

MP SRK is his best anti-air as well, and if it only hits once you can juggle another MP SRK as they fall. Pretty weird really as in 15+ years of Street Fighter before SF4 I can probably count the number of times I've used MP SRK on one hand, now I use it four or five times per match.

Like I said earlier you have to FADC after the second hit of the FP SRK as that's the one that knocks up.

Ah! that double MP SRK juggle sounds good, i'm gonna give that a try now.

I used to love SF2Turbo on the Snes, because you could use the Lp SRK to 'twirl' through hadoukens if you times it exactly right. Beautiful stuff. haha.