Team Fortress 2 (360) - Thursdays 20:15

toonfool

We're not far off having a strong presence. There were a few people this week who would have come but couldn't. And Mark came in later, so there were seven of us present. If the others could have turned up, there'd be ten of us.

I'm going to get a 50meg pipe as soon as possible, maybe in a month.That should solidly support sixteen players. Ten of us and six randoms would make a good game.

Mind, if I moved my PC to a more sensible place I'd happily play it on that.

The turnover of randoms was pretty high. Every time I checked the scoreboard (to see if I was still at the bottom) the opposing team would have an average of 2 or 3 points, except for the one fella who seemed to have stuck with it. It's almost like the computer is just throwing drones at us sometimes.

the medic round was really good fun but just goes to show how bankrupt TF2 on 360 is if we have to resort to that sort of thing. Very sad. I remember the days when we'd easily get 16 players in, no bother.

That round when we were all spies dressed as medics, I'd love to have heard their reaction to us all vanishing.

You're quite right though. It's poor that we have to cripple ourselves with silly rules in order to get a game out of it.

I'm seriously considering moving over to the PC. We could rent a decent server cheaply, and with us being admins we'd be able to control the game so there would be no lag. No problems at all, really.

I'll have to move my PC to a more sensible place in the house, I can do that. Who else fancies it?

All the weapons... All the maps...

I haven't played it much on the PC, with the machine being in the boys' room. I did try to use the headset but I was getting used to the controls and couldn't multi-task. The most I managed to do was warn a bunch of German team-mates about a spy going back to our spawn.

I am definitely up for a move over to the PC version. £10/month would get us a server, though I have no experience in the field.

This week's game will be ON THE PC.

Details will appear here later.

aw man! Did you have to set up a break-away game on Thursday night?

What about the rest of us who don't have it on the PC, or who've got shite computers that can't play it?

(I'm in the latter group) :o

What's your setup? I have a 2.4ghz Pentium 4 with 768MB of ram. It has a cheap graphics card that can handle DirectX 9C. Not exactly a powerhouse. It runs smoothly with everything on the lowest settings.

I need more ram though, busy screens send my framerate to hell.

What's your setup? I have a 2.4ghz Pentium 4 with 768MB of ram. It has a cheap graphics card that can handle DirectX 9C. Not exactly a powerhouse. It runs smoothly with everything on the lowest settings.

I need more ram though, busy screens send my framerate to hell.

I've got a 2.8 GHz Pentium D with 1 GB of RAM. I suspect that the graphics card is my problem, I'm just using the the Radeon X600 (256MB) that came with my PC. I never intended to use my PC for gaming so I haven't invested in anything more powerful. I might try playing around with my settings. At the moment I get an "OS Paged Pool Memory Low" error message on the screen and it tends to crash me back to the desktop within seconds of starting a game.

Is this the end of the 360 sessions then? I'm going to have to find something else to do on a Thursday evening.

popular-front.jpg

I've sorted out the problem now. My crappy firewall was hogging all the paged pool memory on my hard drive.

It all seems to run nice and smoothly now, doesn't help with my mouse skillz though. Toonfool's son just clubbed me to death in Gravel Pit!

:)

I can confirm that the headset does work with a wireless pad and the 'Wireless Gaming Receiver' dongle, although I haven't yet figured out how to send the voice channel to the headset speaker while sending the game sounds to something else. Wired pads presumably work with the headset in much the same way.

Do we not have the numbers on the 360 any more? A shame, as I still prefer it to the PC version in some ways. I've been away for quite a while for various reasons (broken fingers, two holidays), so I feel partly responsible. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm new to the TF2 game, are these Thursday night games on 360 no more then?

If they are still running can I please sign up, I'm a complete newbie but willing to learn! Anyone got any advice for first time players.