Team Fortress 2 (360) - Thursdays 20:15

toonfool

I hate spies too...no, let me be a bit more specific, I hate Megadrive II. I spend almost half of that game waiting to respawn after being stabbed in the back and swearing like a navvy about, "that fucking Megadrive". :lol:

Ha! Not just me then ... he's a bit TOO good at playing spy, for sure.

Really good laugh last night - That first game on Well was really good fun, shame we (or just me?)didn't realise that after the timer ran out, the game could still be won by captures rather than last man standing. So after a really tightly fought defence, we just ran about randomly and let the red team capture. Oh well...

I need to try other classes too - I just play as Heavy & hose down everything that moves with the minigun. Not exactly subtle ;)

Deffo up for next week!

This might sound stupid after playing the game for so long, but I take it that you can't talk to your team mates when you are waiting to respawn? This would make sense but sometimes it seems like we are talking to each other. Can the teammates who are also waiting to respawn hear you?

as far as I'm aware you can hear and talk to each other while your dead

People are just ignoring me then, that makes me feel much better ;)

Its just that when I die and I'm watching the player cam, I will warn the guy about sentries or whatever and most of the time the player runs straight into the crap anyway.

We'll give it a proper test during the next game. I can't specifically recall getting a reply while dead.

Spy sapping my sentry: As Aaron says, two hits will save the sentry. Different level sentries can last for different lengths of time before exploding, the biggest lasts for nine seconds. However, a good spy can keep on sapping, rendering your wrench hits impotent; If he keeps it up for the required time, it's gone. Against that kind of spy, it's best to shoot his face off, THEN see to the sentry with a wrench.

...we're not the chttiest bunch when playing as it is.

toonfool, tarules and DavidB seem to be the best for inspiring team chat. I prefer to join teams which have at least one of these guys playing. It's no coincidence that we were getting our arses kicked yesterday with both toonfool and DavidB on the opposing team.

I can specifically recall a couple of times on 2Fort, when dead, watching one of my team pick up the intelligence and not realise they have it, so instead of running back to our base they wander back into the enemy base with the intelligence case on their back, while I'm screaming at them to just run back home.

It never occurred to me that they might not be able to hear me.

Not that I'm having a moan here but we're not the chattiest bunch when playing as it is.

Really? When I last played (which admittedley was a while ago) we'd always be talking either where people are or just shit in general, have things really changed so much in the 40days since I last played?

Well yeah, we talk, there are just times when it goes so quiet some people think their headset isn't working haha.

Anyway, I'd rather have this level of chat than constant irritating babble; it's good that generally we all get on with the game rather than messing about, talking off-topic and the like.

toonfool, tarules and DavidB seem to be the best for inspiring team chat. I prefer to join teams which have at least one of these guys playing. It's no coincidence that we were getting our arses kicked yesterday with both toonfool and DavidB on the opposing team.

Yeah you're right there, it's encouraging to have one of those fellas talking, helpful too. I'm a mumbler and know I don't really speak too well on the headset so tend not to say too much, though I will call out if there's anything worth noting, albeit in my rather timid fashion.

Not that I'm having a moan here but we're not the chttiest bunch when playing as it is.

Ah, I'm definitely guilty of clamming up unless others on the team are especially vocal. Not a principle Kant could get behind, and I always feel more than partly responsible for any protracted silence. There was plenty of talk when we started on 2Fort, but my headset seemed quieter than usual and as a result I had trouble parsing some of the accents (not usually a problem), so I couldn't really get into the tactical chatter, and it all seemed to tail off after a while. I had some decent sapping things/blowing things up co-ordination going on with Megadrive in places, but communication was mostly implicit rather than explicit, and for much of the time I ran in alone only to be blindsided by toonfool's shotgun as I dealt with his sentry. How rude!

Anyway, it might be good to divide the chattier players between the teams to seed participation, I suppose.

When I used to play Counter Strike I used to regard myself as a radio man. Not being that good at shooting, I realised that my strength lay in getting information to the rest of the team. Mind, it gets incredibly frustrating when you relay the information then die, and everyone ignores it. That doesn't really happen in TF2 though.

I think the main obstacle to talking in TF2 is learning the tags. By tags, I mean nicknames. The balcony at the last point on Dustbowl, the spiral stairs, courtyard, sewers (ours or theirs), water and back/wide/straight stairs on 2Fort. Examples like those help you to talk because you know exactly what you should say.

"Medic and soldier coming down our spiral stairs" conveys exactly the right information for someone on defence in the intel room. As does "I've got the intel, am coming up the spiral stairs. Low on health, will try to drop down through the grid.". That really does help anyone who was coming across the bridge and wants to help. Of course, in the heat of action, I often get tags confused and say something that doesn't help at all, but with practise that lessens.

It's good to talk.

Any ideas why I couldn't accept any invites again tonight? Its really frustrating :lol:

I was able to join games with randoms but whenever I accepted an invite from toonfool or the others it just kept telling me the game was no longer accepting players.

Any ideas why I couldn't accept any invites again tonight? Its really frustrating :lol:

I was able to join games with randoms but whenever I accepted an invite from toonfool or the others it just kept telling me the game was no longer accepting players.

A NAT issue maybe? Is yours definitely open?

Are you all playing this on 360 then?

Yep, (almost) every Sunday and Thursday.