Team Fortress 2 (360) - Thursdays 20:15

toonfool

Aye, I got the same. Just waitied a few mins then saw they were in a game, and asked for another invite.

Well I had a couple of invites but it would say Game not accepting players each time. Not sure why it does this. I didn't see "Join this session" in profiles either like you do sometimes.

Oh Mark, it's a real shame that it makes you feel that way. Really, it must be us that frustrate you. You're a really good player and we can let you down sometimes, but we enjoy having you on our team, or even seeing you on the other team. Take some time out if you need it but I hope you come back soon.

Tonight's game on 2Fort was fantastic, one of the best I've ever played in. We were 2-0 down at intelligence captures at one point and managed to win the game 3-2. That needed a strong defence alongside a sustained attack. Then the next round crashed. the first mid-game crash I've seen, damn.

At nearly midnight I started a game of 2Fort and it crashed while loading, so I called it a night.

Eagle Lord,I didn't notice you coming online. If you have any problems like that in future, send me a message and I'll get you in. Sorry about tonight.

A change is as good as a rest, as they say. Even though I constantly lag behind in the table it doesn't stop me enjoying it. Last night when I got to play I was woeful, when an enemy came near me I was all over the place, tried altering the sensitivity and that didn't help. Still good though, must try something other than Pyro though, even though I love it - you don't have to have a good aim as a Pyro :P.

I have the odd game when I think I'm getting pretty good at this, then every other game in between I just spawn, wander into instant death, spawn again, blunder into a gun turret, pretty much until the end. The first time I played as a healer last night I think I died about four times without even healing single point of health on anyone.

Although last night I realised it was possible to run out of ammo with a soldier for the first time. I'd never lived long enough for that to happen before.

After playing for weeks I'm only about 1/3 of the way towards the number of kills achievement. You engineers probably get that in one session!

I'm totally terrified of playing an engineer. It looks like you properly need to know what you're doing with that class. Everyone relies on you. You can't just wander around lost, shooting at anything that moves.

No there's nothing you can do, I think the only time I've seen it defended it just said everyone lost.

I thought that too, though it might have just reached the end of the time limit for the game rather than the round. Last night I went into a one player system link game and totally pwned the other side. When I had them down to their last point I swapped over to defence and held the reds off for the required four minutes or so. I won. Then it just stuck me back to the previous point (with a 'ding' on the strategy map) and I realised what a monumental task it would be to turn around the fortunes of a team defending the last point.

I probably just need to start playing with different classes.

I've played a couple of sessions where I've just chosen random at the character select screen. Although its slightly annoying that you have to choose random every time, I've found the experience quite refreshing. You have to think on your feet how best to apply your random character to the situations that emerge. It has certainly given me some new ideas about how to tackle tricky situations in game.

It's too easy to pick the sub-set of classes with which you feel most comfortable. I've racked up about 15-20 hours each with the heavy, demoman, pyro and engineer. In contrast I have a rather pathetic 2-3 hours played with the sniper and spy. I hate playing as a spy, its too tense. I'm running around thinking "argh! they know it's me! argh!".

Another problem I have is that since I've decided what my favourite classes are, I've settled into familiar patterns of what I should be doing with them on each particular map. And to be honest, I think that we all have to an extent. This has lead to certain maps feeling a bit stale, and its my imagination which is to blame. When we play against randoms they consistently surprise me with the ways that they tackle situations differently us lot. I still love this game, but the new maps and modes cant come soon enough.

I have the odd game when I think I'm getting pretty good at this, then every other game in between I just spawn, wander into instant death, spawn again, blunder into a gun turret, pretty much until the end. The first time I played as a healer last night I think I died about four times without even healing single point of health on anyone.

Although last night I realised it was possible to run out of ammo with a soldier for the first time. I'd never lived long enough for that to happen before.

After playing for weeks I'm only about 1/3 of the way towards the number of kills achievement. You engineers probably get that in one session!

I'm totally terrified of playing an engineer. It looks like you properly need to know what you're doing with that class. Everyone relies on you. You can't just wander around lost, shooting at anything that moves.

Totally know where you're coming from here. I'm pretty much the same. Last night I'd spawn, go round a corner and there would be a demoman or soldier and I'd die instantly. Yet it would take bloody ages with the flamethrower to kill them. It's puzzling and frustrating yet I still have a blast, and small victories like getting more than 1 kill before getting killed feel really good.

There are certain classes that get more action than others, for instance if I play a sniper I score next to nothing, althought I get the feeling if it were anyone else they'd be constantly scoring.

Engineer and spy are the two clases I have tried (on the PC version admittedly) and simply couldn't get a handle on. A good engineer knows where to put stuff and is able to defend it. You are right that you can't just run about like an idiot. Spies are even harder, but I'm sure if you can work it out and keep it up it would be very rewarding. In both cases as long as you're on with people who aren't going to go banannas at you for not keeping your end up it would be good to learn.

I think the small number of maps is a big advantage. As you say, you can settle into a way of approaching the game if you become too familiar, but you can also be shaken out of that by seeing what other people do.

There was a gun turret in a certain spot on the 2fort map, that the opposition team had set up in their own base, and it seemed like an amazing place to put one - almost impossible for our team to remove.

I'm still not that familiar with all the maps, but as you become really familiar, and know them like the back of your hand, then you start thinking in different, more subtle ways.

I think if the game had lots of maps it wouldn't be as easy to get to know them inside out, and play would remain a bit more random.

In both cases as long as you're on with people who aren't going to go banannas at you for not keeping your end up it would be good to learn.

Yeah, that's a big part of the enjoyment for me. I know nobody is going to moan at me for playing like crap, so I can enjoy it even when I feel a bit clueless.

I still love this game, but the new maps and modes cant come soon enough.

Yes! I play the PC one at the weekend usually and the new maps, modes, class-specific unlockables/achievements, and the small buffs on classes all add up to something that, when it hits the 360, will give TF2 a massive boost. The air-blast on pyro alone would be welcome. I'm certainly not bored of TF2 and don't find it stale even though, like you, I slip into certain patterns with the Pyro.

Nearly a year on and TF2 multiplayer on 360 doesn't seem to have died off like some, thankfully. It may not be a Cod4 or Halo 3 but it is still popular. And that's without new maps and whatnot every couple of months - a real triumph.

The worst thing about engineer is that after you've built everything in a fantastic place you've resigned yourself to it's upkeep. Also I still think more communication is needed, especially when people change class. If you know your team already has 2 spies and 3 snipers than you won't become another one, and if you want a medic/ heavy/ pyro/ spy etc ask someone to change to one. Also if you think you have an engineer than you won't become one. Yep, communication is key.

Well, you're an engineer. It's your job to keep the dispenser and turret running. Who's going to do it? They pyro, no, he's burning folk. the sniper? No, he's sniping folk. If you want to set up and fuck off then an Engineer isn't for you.

Same goes for the career of Engineer. If you think you can build an engine and then fuck off and let it run itself then you've done it wrong.

Yeah, that's the problem with it. All other classes you can go toe to toe with the enemy and chenge your class as the situation demands. Engineer your stuck in a back room somewhere wondering what's happening.

From watching randoms play I have a new-found respect for the engineer as an attacking class. People have a tendency to set up camp at established choke-points. However, you can really turn the tide in a game by placing a sneaky level 1 turret close to an enemies base, then running around like an idiot with the shotgun.