IGNORED

Thoroughly Stupid Halo 3 Questions.

Blue

I admit it... I have a few new Halo 3 questions every day that frustrate, but am often reluctant to ask the answer for fear of appearing stupid in front of the seemingly all-knowing Halo veterans. But no more, for here is the admittedly-stupid Halo 3 questions thread.

Thanks in advance to said Halo vets for your patience (hopefully).

1. What is the visual cue that someone's shield is completely depleted?

2. What are your winning tactics when you have to face off against an individual in multiplayer? What should I be thinking/doing to make me the winner?

Don't leave me all alone here please...ask a stupid H3 question.

1. After it stops sparking and before you see the all-over glow thing

2. Don't run towards them if they're firing straight at you. I always do it, and I always think "I can get him before my shield's completely out". I never do.

Unless he's talking about the Overshield, but that should have a coloured tinge.

Basically, if you start shooting someone, their shields will go a white kinda colour and then when it's depleted there will be an orange flash as their shields pop. When they charge back up you will see orange rings go round them.

edit - also when the shields are down you can see little orange electricity lines on the armour too.

Guest alisdair
2. What are your winning tactics when you have to face off against an individual in multiplayer? What should I be thinking/doing to make me the winner?

Depends on so many different things that it's hard to say: weapons, grenades, map position, equipment. If you simplify it to assume you both have full health and full AR clips, then in order of importance I'd say:

1) Retreat (while running backwards) to cover;

2) Throw a grenade where he's going to run, which is probably following you, and get well out of the way of any grenades he throws;

3) Start firing first and try to make sure your aim is always at the chest;

4) Try to learn to strafe and adjust your aim horizontally while firing, although this is quite difficult at first;

5) If the other player somehow got close enough, and you think you have more shields/health, use melee and then find somewhere to hide.

I'm trying hard to avoid encounters which end in melees, because the chances of surviving several in a row are pretty slim.

My best advice for 1-1 encounters is to plan them, which means you have to know what your opponent is likely to do. This requires learning the maps, finding appropriate weapons, knowing the common paths, and using the radar to work out where people are.

3) Start firing first and try to make sure your aim is always at the chest;

Really? I thought it was always about aiming for the head.

Here's another: What two weapons would you choose to have, if you could, for an open area and for a confined area battle?

Is dual wielding good and if so, which combos work best?

Guest alisdair
Really? I thought it was always about aiming for the head.

Only with headshot weapons, which comprises the beam rifle, sniper rifle, battle rifle, and covenant carbine. Even then you're better aiming for the chest until the shields drop.

Here's another: What two weapons would you choose to have, if you could, for an open area and for a confined area battle?

For open area, either the battle rifle or carbine (not fussed which), and the assault rifle as a backup. In confined areas, all of the short to medium range weapons have their own advantages, and apart from the magnum they're all good.

Is dual wielding good and if so, which combos work best?

For medium-to-close range, plasma rifle and SMG - plasma takes down shields quickly, SMG kills. I think someone on here pointed this out and it's awesome.

For combatting a shotgun near a shield door or getting multiple close kills, two maulers.

Guest alisdair
Is this definitely true?

Yes. I've only tested it with the battle rifle, but I'm pretty sure it's the same for the carbine (and magnum).

What I wrote wasn't exactly correct: sniper rifle/beam rifle headshots are instant kills even with full shields, as always. Might just be me being rubbish, but I'm finding sniper headshots on strafing targets to be practically impossible anyway, so I always go for two rounds to the chest there as well.

Are sniper headshots instant kills with a (depleting) overshield?

Sniper headshots an instant kill? Tell it to the (non-overshielded) guy I nailed last night. There's some strange shit going on here, Coleman.

I'll see if I can dig out a pic for you, the only remotely plausible explanation would be 'Oh actually, you did hit but it went through my helmet just a smidgen to the side of my face and all it did was explodo my earlobe' or some such nonsense.

I was wondering where to post this question, this threads ome along just in time !

How do you beep the horn in a warthog ?

I've sure ive tried everybutton on the pad with no success.

As for weapons i find the needler is great for medium/short range as you dont need a great aim to use it, so you can dodge a bit more wildly while firing.

question: if you are static and not firing do you show up on the radar? I'm thinking no but I just want to check.

I know were talking about 1 on 1 confrontations, but my biggest failing is going 1 on 1 with someone and the mid way tacking fire from someone else and basically getting wasted. So my tactics now are to hang around more, check my six and wait for others to kick off and then vulch some kills when there not looking. Hey it's not pretty, but it works.

Try and shoot when you know its going to be effective. I know that sounds stupid but i've seen me run headlong at someone (after chucking a nade) and peppering them with fire only to still get cut down and killed. The only reason i can see for this is that my aim is so crap whilst running that I'm just not scoring enough hits. I think someone in another thread said to used small burst rather than drilling into someone.

One thing I've never been sure of, is whether or not you appear on radar when you, say, crouch walk over a very small ledge and then drop down without really moving? Or any drop for that matter, I suppose. If you walk over the edge slow enough do you not appear?

You can quickly and easily tell if you're showing up on the enemies motion tracker by the fact that there will be a yellow circle in the centre of it when you are showing up, and not onewhen you aren't.

You can also stand on the spot and turn and aim without showing up.

So why doesn't the enemy motion tracker pick you up when you're crouch-walking? You're in motion when you do, aren't you?

Yes but you are only moving slowly. The real answer is that it's a gameplay conceit. It works brilliantly and is consistent within the rules of the game, but it's not realistic and isn't meant to be.

It's the same as asking why a bubble shield stops speeding projectiles but allows people to walk straight through it.

It's the same as asking why a bubble shield stops speeding projectiles but allows people to walk straight through it.

Hey that was my next question!

Also, why do I need to pump a full clip of bullets into someone before they die? And why isn't a single rocket to the face lethal? :o

I'm merely jesting, Panda. Custom game tonight?