The Best Illustrated Children's Books

lordcookie

Oliver Jeffers' new book, Once Upon an Alphabet is his best book for a while. It's basically a collection of three-page stories each about a different letter of the alphabet. The illustrations are predictably wonderful but it also very witty and the way many of the stories overlap will no doubt keep kids coming back to it again and again. Plus, much like The Mysteries of Harris Burdick, each mini-story provides a starting point for children to expand on the tale.

• 3 months later...

People might enjoy this set from The Green Children, illustrated by Margaret Gordon, from 1966, taken after a friend mentioned the legend the book is based on. I rescued the book from the withdrawal pile at work, along with a number of Charles Keeping books that each deserve a post of their own. Gordon, it seems, was the first illustrator of The Wombles. I hadn't heard of her previously, but The Green Children is a great book. Sadly I can't see it coming back into print (there's been at least one more recent edition of the text with a different artist).

• 1 month later...

It was mentioned three years/one page ago in this thread:

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/169817-the-best-illustrated-childrens-books/?p=8506320

And yes, it is excellent. And it has a sequel!

Also, the Internet collectively seems to like it a lot: I've just discovered that there are Tumblrs dedicated to remaking it with Doctor Who and Adventure Time characters, which it's probably best if I don't link to.

• 3 months later...

The two of them are deceptively simple. I didn't rate "I want my hat back" too much at first, but along with "This is not my hat" it's been freaking amazing for going through with the kids and discussing with them "Is that good?" "Do you think that is right?" etc. Plus the two of them (3 and 5) have very different ideas about what happened to the rabbit/fish at the end. And either could be right, and then we talk about whether it would be right to eat someone for doing something bad to you. I think the 2nd one is in fact better.

He illustrated that book about the dark by Lemony Snicket which is also great.

Who was the chap on here who made the Crocodile book "Open Very Carefully."? Because I'd had it in my Amazon basket forever and finally pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago. Just wanted to say crikey it's excellent. I think it's meta in the right way and really rather clever. My kids absolutely love it and the interactive elements are superb. Brilliant job, so thank you!

The two of them are deceptively simple. I didn't rate "I want my hat back" too much at first, but along with "This is not my hat" it's been freaking amazing for going through with the kids and discussing with them "Is that good?" "Do you think that is right?" etc. Plus the two of them (3 and 5) have very different ideas about what happened to the rabbit/fish at the end. And either could be right, and then we talk about whether it would be right to eat someone for doing something bad to you. I think the 2nd one is in fact better.

Jon Klassen's work is brilliant. Both his collaborations with Marc Barnett are worth a purchase too.

Who was the chap on here who made the Crocodile book "Open Very Carefully."? Because I'd had it in my Amazon basket forever and finally pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago. Just wanted to say crikey it's excellent. I think it's meta in the right way and really rather clever. My kids absolutely love it and the interactive elements are superb. Brilliant job, so thank you!

That would be Chosty. It is a great little book.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you all like it. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

A favourite of my  sons at the minute is The day the crayons quit by Drew Daywalt, I've had to read it to him every single night since his birthday in February also got him the sequel the day the crayons came back but he's not toonly keen on that one .

On 13/06/2016 at 1:21 PM, dng said:

spiders001.jpg

I'm running a kickstarter campaign at the moment to try and get a load of copies of this printed, if anyone is interested (although I'm probably five years late for that)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/davidguy/spiders-are-wonderful

Good luck with it. I've conquered my love-hate relationship of spiders to throw you some money. My youngest son would love it.

Cheers!

I've sent off a few new manuscripts to a publisher so I'm just in that waiting phase. I've also decided to do something about my chronic lack of time by quitting my job to focus more on writing. So from later this summer I'll be able to do more writing in a week than I can currently do in a few months.

I'm actually in great need of simple kids books about bugs of all kinds for educational purposes, and that spider book looked like it was perfect - until the bit about the sun being a spider :/ Facts can be just as fascinating as fiction.

(Sadly I don't think the dead rat page would pass approval at my school either.)

• 5 months later...