zombie movies?

chris on the moon

Holy shit. I'm definitely going to watch this. I can't imagine how this scene will ever make sense but it is fucking hilarious.

You've not seen Braindead?! It's utterly brilliant! I don't think there's actually a more violent film in existance!

'I kick arse for god!'

I have burial ground on dvd its awful

There must be two films titled Burial Ground. The one we're talking about features a wonderful mother/son relationship and the best use of paint as a weapon ever!

well its made by someone who loves his zombie movies, it has heart and made me laugh.

I dont ask for much more.

Sounds good enough to me.

I can't believe all of these posts, it's madness!! Where is the greatest zombie film ever posted!?

DAWN OF THE FUCKING DEAD '78.

There, I did it.

and Cemetary Man, a fantastic zombie movie!

Seconded, an excellent film with very good acting from Rupert Everett. I love how he 'dum dums' his bullets :angry:

I can't believe all of these posts, it's madness!! Where is the greatest zombie film ever posted!?

DAWN OF THE FUCKING DEAD '78.

There, I did it.

You certainly did. Perhaps what you should've done though, was read the first post.

Night of the Creeps

Night of the Comet

Undead

Slither

Are all decent zombie flicks, although all with a a sci-fi bent in terms of the origin of the zombies. Slither is probably the least zombie-ish of the four.

I remember watching a bizarre low-budget zombie movie in the 80s called The TV Dead which had a kind of proto-Ringu storyline where the zombies originated from a TV program (my memory is hazy on the details, and I haven't bothered to Google it). I remember one zombie getting a steam-iron embedded in it's head.

I remember watching a bizarre low-budget zombie movie in the 80s called The TV Dead which had a kind of proto-Ringu storyline where the zombies originated from a TV program (my memory is hazy on the details, and I haven't bothered to Google it). I remember one zombie getting a steam-iron embedded in it's head.

Aha! You're thinking of this:

VideoDead.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155350/

I haven't seen it since I was in the 6th form, but I'd probably pick it up if I stumbled across a DVD copy. I suspect it hasn't aged well.

Night of the Creeps

Another vote for the highly watchable 'Night of the creeps' here. After you are done with that watch The Monster Squad, they are both great Fred Dekker films.

Also,

Cannibal appocalypse (not strictly a zombie film, more of a contagen flick ala 28 days later)

Dead Heat ( Silly zombie cop buddy zombie movie)

Living dead at the Manchester Mourge

Planet Terror

Dead Heat ( Silly zombie cop buddy zombie movie)

Saw that at the flicks on release. Great fun as I remember - especially the sequence where the zombification affects a chinese butchers (or maybe it was a restaurant?) resulting in skinned ducks and the like being resurrected.

Okay...so I just watched a film called "City of the Living Dead". Obviously no connection with Romero, but has anyone seen this monstrosity & can tell me what in the f happened in the end?!?

Pardon? ;) It's the first part of Fulchi's (Zombie Flesh Eaters) (in)famous trilogy. Continuing with The Beyond and culminating with The House by the Cemetary. Ok, I guess he is kind of an acquired taste.

Don't really think this will help, but just in case...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081318/synopsis

At Junie's Lounge, Mr. Ross, Mike, and the barman are attacked and finally killed by the marauding ghouls as a state-of-emergency is declared over the radio. Mary, Peter, and Gerry arrive back at the graveyard as All Saints Day begins. They decent into Father Thomas' family tomb, discovering an underground grotto of skeletal remains and cobwebbed putrescenes. Sandra appears as a zombie, and kills Peter by ripping his brains out. The zombie Sandra is then immobilized by Gerry who impails her to a cave wall with a pitchfork to her chest. Mary and Gerry are forced to go on until they reach a weired, stained-glass chamber coated in musk and dust. There, they face Father Thomas who has re-entered corporeal existence with his supernatural powers intact. Mary and Gerry look on as all of the dead begin to emerge from their tombs and surround them. Father Thomas once again begins to use his powerful and mesmerizing stare making Mary's eyeballs bleed. Before his stare can turn Mary inside out, Gerry grabs a large, rotting, wooden cross and disembowels Father Thomas. The evil priest's decayed guts are punctured, and he and the massing zombies burst into flames and return to dust. The Gate of Hell have apparently been closed. Mary and Gerry struggle from the subterranean catacombs of the night and emerge back out of Father Thomas' tomb into the graveyard at morning, to see John-John running excitedly towards them. As he approaches, Mary and Gerry's joy turns to disquietude, and then to fear, until the movie suddenly ends as ambiguously as it began... with Mary's scream

The Beyond is just as "good". I don't have The House by the Cemetary though and haven't seen it for ages.

According to a book I've got, when interviewed about The Beyond he said,

My idea was to make an absolute film, with all the horrors of our world. It's a plotless film: a house, people, and dead men coming from The Beyond. There's no logic to it, just a succession of images

Something to look forward to then.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Fido the other night with friends.

I thought it was a bit hit and miss really. Very strange film! It seemed like it was confused over whether it was a kids comedy films or a adult horror.

Even though its only 90 minutes, i really felt it lasted 2 hours.

I like the idea of it all (based in the 50s, zombie diseases etc) but it was so very strange at times...

Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue is my all time favourite zombie movie. Wonderfully atmospheric...

I always have time for The Beyond too, again it´s all about the atmosphere.

In other news it´s been a bumper month for zombies on Blu-Ray. I should have Dawn and Day of the Dead plus Evil Dead 2 waiting for me when I get back to the UK.

Actually, has anyone mentioned Evil Dead 1 and 2?

EDIT: Yes, they have. But defintely worthy of another mention I feel..

Yeah, Evil Dead 2 is a remake but they both stand up to so many repeated viewings. It´s hard to imagine/easy to forget the stir the original caused backin the early 80's. Grim times.

Evil Dead 3 doesn't float my boat, bit too Jason and The Argonauts (with chainsaws) for my taste.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's one not to watch:

House Of The Dead.

I've never felt the need to turn off a film before, but it was truly THAT bad.

Isn't there footage of the game in that? I think some friends went to see it and it was awful.

Anyway, today i watched braindead.

what a fucking fantastic movie. It was hilarious... And the nature of the special effects give it a certain charm. I love the way that a pile of internal organs stays alive and tries to strangle the protagonist. or the blender. Or the toilet. and anything being ripped in half. Oh man, it's hysterical.

Yeah, Evil Dead 2 is a remake but they both stand up to so many repeated viewings. It´s hard to imagine/easy to forget the stir the original caused backin the early 80's. Grim times.

Um, nope, it's definitely not a remake - sure they do a brief re-telling of the oringinal in the first 10 mins or so, (with some changes made), but the bulk of the film is Ash's second night in the cabin, whereas the original film was concerned soley with his first night in the cabin. You can see pretty early on in EDII they recreate they exact final scene from ED -

the spirit rushing through the cabin at dawn right into Ash's face as he thinks he's survived the night's horrors

, and two continues from there with Ash

waking all Deadite, face down in a puddle

Sorry, I have my pedant's hat on this morning.