IGNORED

It's the 299 quid PS3 with no BC

JPickford (retired mod)

It's not misjudged. If you take the PS3 as just a Blu Ray Disc© player, it's great value. Then you add the fact that it's a wireless home TV internet browser, the games are an added bonus!

Once Blu Ray Disc© becomes the dominant format, it will be the top selling console.

Theorizing that you could sell a console on brand power alone, Sony released the $599 PS3 and vanished from the next-gen sales charts... And so Sony find themselves leaping from SKU to SKU, striving to put right what once went wrong and hoping each time that the next SKU will be the one that sells.

Theorizing that you could sell a console on brand power alone, Sony released the $599 PS3 and vanished from the next-gen sales charts... And so Sony find themselves leaping from SKU to SKU, striving to put right what once went wrong and hoping each time that the next SKU will be the one that sells.

It's like they are trapped in the bad version of the future in Back to the Future 2!

:)

I loved that show.

Like I said, in an ideal world. It may have escaped your attention but the PS3 really isn't doing very well.

Yeah, it's a joy to watch. The reason they're not doing very well is they keep making ridiculous decisions, such as apparently removing the BC option entirely in Europe. Beyond being amused at the consequences of Sony's hubris I couldn't really give a toss - I think MS were similarly stupid to make the 360 Core, for example. I'm entirely confident that Sony could stand to leave BC in the PS3 and reduce the price, and I think that'd be a better move - no adverse publicity, increased sales (assuming a price drop is going to work), Sony get a larger userbase and customers get the machine they want, and over time hopefully everyone's happy. But at the moment every move Sony make seems to go straight into the Big Book of Baffling Blunders.

Does anyone believe for a second, for example, that there's no chance at all of Sony creating a new PS3 in six months with BC restored? How can we be expected to have any faith in them at this stage? I'm very interested in Little Big Planet and a couple of other PS3 titles. Maybe this clearout 60gb deal is something I should investigate, because I'd certainly want BC on the PS3, without a shadow of a doubt. I'm just very wary of getting involved with the console at all as a consequence of Sony's blatant communication issues between its left and right hands.

Sony could stand to leave BC in the PS3 and reduce the price, and I think that'd be a better move - no adverse publicity, increased sales (assuming a price drop is going to work), Sony get a larger userbase and customers get the machine they want, and over time hopefully everyone's happy. But at the moment every move Sony make seems to go straight into the Big Book of Baffling Blunders.

Does anyone believe for a second, for example, that there's no chance at all of Sony creating a new PS3 in six months with BC restored? How can we be expected to have any faith in them at this stage? I'm very interested in Little Big Planet and a couple of other PS3 titles. Maybe this clearout 60gb deal is something I should investigate, because I'd certainly want BC on the PS3, without a shadow of a doubt. I'm just very wary of getting involved with the console at all as a consequence of Sony's blatant communication issues between its left and right hands.

I agree with everything you've said. So someone somewhere is tightening the reins. Haven't they just got a new boss in Japan? This is only the beginning. Heads will roll!

Does anyone believe for a second, for example, that there's no chance at all of Sony creating a new PS3 in six months with BC restored?

As far as I'm aware Sony have only stated that they are phasing out the 60 gig model not BC. I imagine at some point they will introduce a new upper tier model (poss. the 80 gig) with 'premium' features like extra USB ports and BC. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they are intentionally being ambiguous to create a bit of a sales boost out of people panic buying for BC.

As far as I'm aware Sony have only stated that they are phasing out the 60 gig model not BC. I imagine at some point they will introduce a new upper tier model (poss. the 80 gig) with 'premium' features like extra USB ports and BC. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they are intentionally being ambiguous to create a bit of a sales boost out of people panic buying for BC.

Yeah, it never hurts to create a supply panic. I'm sure they'll bring back BC, too - but that'll just add to Sony's woes, I imagine, as the news at the moment is reporting the loss of BC as a consequence of the 40gb model. So in six months they flip-flop on that (or appear to, which is all that matters) and people are either more confused or more disillusioned. Maybe they'll reintroduce the BC in a white PS3 model or something like that - I think they'll need to produce a visibly 'different' model similar to the 360 Elite to stand the best chance of getting away with it all.

Yeah, it's a joy to watch. The reason they're not doing very well is they keep making ridiculous decisions, such as apparently removing the BC option entirely in Europe. Beyond being amused at the consequences of Sony's hubris I couldn't really give a toss - I think MS were similarly stupid to make the 360 Core, for example. I'm entirely confident that Sony could stand to leave BC in the PS3 and reduce the price, and I think that'd be a better move - no adverse publicity, increased sales (assuming a price drop is going to work), Sony get a larger userbase and customers get the machine they want, and over time hopefully everyone's happy. But at the moment every move Sony make seems to go straight into the Big Book of Baffling Blunders.

I can't afford to get burnt this time - money is a lot more precious for me these days - so there's no way I'll buy a PS3 (MGS4 or no MGS4) until I'm confident it's not going to end up as the poor relation. For instance, Capcom's Monster Hunter decision worries me. I have no desire to play Monster Hunter, but I fear it's the first announcement in what could be an enitre series of publishers revealing that they're switching projects away from the PS3.

Earlier this year, we had the trend of PS3 exclusives becoming multi-format propositions - VF5, DMC4 and alike - now I think we could see titles dropped completely. Which, basically, means the PS3 could be a dead format come the middle of next year. I'm not going to invest money - either £299 or £425 - in it until I'm sure that's not the case.

I'm entirely confident that Sony could stand to leave BC in the PS3 and reduce the price, and I think that'd be a better move - no adverse publicity, increased sales (assuming a price drop is going to work), Sony get a larger userbase and customers get the machine they want, and over time hopefully everyone's happy. But at the moment every move Sony make seems to go straight into the Big Book of Baffling Blunders.

Yeah, you can't open a newspaper for articles decrying the lack of BC.

As opposed to massive Dixons, GAME and HMV ads.

Indeed, it's not important to casuals; price is nearly all after games. However, the PS3 has found/put itself in Hardcore Corner, and decided to dress up as a mage.

Erm, whatever. If it's seen as a "hardcore" platform now it's purely because of the price.

The best thing about the loss of PS3 back compatability is Kaz Hirai's comments about how back compatability is an essential part of the "PlayStation DNA", allowing customers to keep their "investment" in previous titles, unlike certain other brands of high-definition games console.

I suppose that makes the PS3's new direction some horrible chromosomal mutant.

The best thing about the loss of PS3 back compatability is Kaz Hirai's comments about how back compatability is an essential part of the "PlayStation DNA", allowing customers to keep their "investment" in previous titles, unlike certain other brands of high-definition games console.

I suppose that makes the PS3's new direction some horrible chromosomal mutant.

Have you not read what the PS3's ardent defenders have said in this post? BC no longer matters. Plus Sony are doing us a favour by taking it out completely and not trying their best but coming short of the mark, not like those bastards at Micr0$oft!

I for one am thankful that Sony are not going to waste anymore time and effort on BC, not when I have more awesome software that is only possible due to the power of Blu-Ray and Cell such as Lair to look forward to. I mean who in their right mind would want to play such ancient pish like Okami or ICO.