rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Das

October Hip Hop Recommendations

Yo! Dubbledge here...

^_^

I wish! Unfortunately my best rapping was on a mates knuckles during some stupid playground game circa 1987.

Lips To Da Floor was ace though. Anyone who thinks Grime MC's can rap should listen to that and re-educate themselves. Looking forward to hearing his album, and to seeing him live. What's the release date?

Well, someone had to do it.

Do your worst hip-mukers!

Might as well take the opportunity to pimp my wee bro's release.

Filthysox - Behind the Boards Vol.1

00-va-wizard_and_kideight_present-filthysox-behind_the_boards_vol_1-bootleg-2007-scan.jpg

Nice one Das.

I was just about to ask about that....there's a big half page advert for it in the new HHC. Saw the Myspace link and thought it was your bro. Fair play...some tasty guests on there! How's it sounding? When's it out?

I just wanted to respond to Das & Cal's comments on Pete Rock playing bangers last Friday when me and Chewy saw him...

Yep, they probably were pretty much all bangers, but some were educated bangers at that, if you get my drift...i.e. not all were totally obvious tunes that get played all the time. But saying that, they were all classics (and so would probably be obvious to peeps like us)...and do you know what? It was fucking ace. He smashed it, simple and plain. Now you can take the negative route and say 'it's boring...heard it all before...etc etc'...fair enough if that's your take on it. But me...well I still love classic Hip Hop like the day I first heard those tunes, so if I'm tipsy in a club or watching a gig, I'm well up for hearing some brilliant tracks...all day son, all day! I don't know, maybe I've got a high boredom threshold for Hip Hop (in fact I know I have), but I just don't tire of hearing tunes that are classics. I suppose if you go out more than I do...like go to jams or to see Hip Hop DJ's every week, maybe I can understand...but I don't...I maybe hit a couple a month, on average. Of course I'm still playing the shit regularly at home so...

What also added to the enjoyment was that, as Chewy mentioned, he seemed to be enjoying it himself...mouthing the words to these classics that he must have played a million times...putting in work on the decks...and that's good to see. It shows there's at least one other person out there who ain't bored of hearing some of the genius tunes that have come out of this genre of music again and again B)

Whatever, I had a great time, Peter played superb tunes and me and my old school, long time Hip Hopper friends (oh and Chewy ^_^ ) left mighty happy at having crossed another legend of our 'seen!' list.

By the way, I saw Primo too, last year I think it was...I guess he played all bangers too...they were all his own productions, so yet again they were classics that I love hearing..but once again what helped make it a fucking great gig (until some prick let off mustard gas) was that he appeared to be loving it...and that including shouting the occasional comment, as someone mentioned. It's great to see people who've immersed themselves in this shit for so long still visibly being passionate about it...cos it's something I can relate to I guess (though on a very different level obviously!).

Anyway, rant over...it's a UK ting up next for me & Chew...this is the time of year that gigs come thick & fast here in Bristol. Sweet.

Yo! Dubbledge here...

:D

I wish! Unfortunately my best rapping was on a mates knuckles during some stupid playground game circa 1987.

Lips To Da Floor was ace though. Anyone who thinks Grime MC's can rap should listen to that and re-educate themselves. Looking forward to hearing his album, and to seeing him live. What's the release date?

The Dubbledge album is called 'Richest Man In Babylon' and is out on the 8th october. I *think* its the album of the month in HHC, tryna confirm that at the moment.

58306276nv0.jpg

58306276nv0.247a5b9a24.jpg

www.myspace.com/edgemuzic

So, the new Talib Kweli album, is it really all that?

I ask because I want to buy it but people are asking 25 notes for the vinyl, which is a bit steep if its shit!

Aloud.com has an mp3 of Wu-Tang 'interpolating' the Beatles on While My heart gently weeps to downlload. Its not bad.

So, the new Talib Kweli album, is it really all that?

I ask because I want to buy it but people are asking 25 notes for the vinyl, which is a bit steep if its shit!

Answer my question bitches!

Theres lots of talk about it in previous months threads. I liked it a lot, one of the better HH albums Ive heard this year, although it is beginning to wear thin now that said. Worth 25 quid... I dunno man, personally no, but I pay bare minimum for albums these days wherever possible.

Theres lots of talk about it in previous months threads. I liked it a lot, one of the better HH albums Ive heard this year, although it is beginning to wear thin now that said. Worth 25 quid... I dunno man, personally no, but I pay bare minimum for albums these days wherever possible.

Thanks for that Marcus, I think you're right, £25 is too much!

(finally) 9th Wonders Dream Merchant 2 is 'out'. Heres the tracklisting

01. 9th Wonder - Mr. Dream Merchant (Intro) 01:12

02. 9th Wonder - Shots (feat. DHO & Sean Price) 03:25

03. 9th Wonder - Merchants Of Dreams 03:44

(feat. Chaundon, Skyzoo, L.E.G.A.C.Y. & Torae)

04. 9th Wonder - Brooklyn In My Mind 04:25

(feat. Mos Def, Jean Grae, & Memphis Bleek)

05. 9th Wonder - Sunday! (feat. Keisha Shontelle & Chaundon) 04:50

06. 9th Wonder - Baking Soda (feat. Big Treal) 04:20

07. 9th Wonder - Reminisce (feat. Big Remo The Great & Novej) 04:54

08. 9th Wonder - No Time To Chill (feat. Little Brother) 03:01

09. 9th Wonder - It Ain't Over (feat. Jozeemo & Tyler Woods) 02:55

10. 9th Wonder - The Last Time 05:09

(feat. Royce The 5'9, Vandalyzm & Naledge, The Lou & The D)

11. 9th Wonder - Saved (feat. Saigon & Joe Scudda) 03:05

12. 9th Wonder - The Milky Lowa (feat. Camp Lo) 03:35

13. 9th Wonder - Backlash (feat. Sean Boog & Buckshot) 04:17

14. 9th Wonder - Thank You (feat. D.O.X. & O-Dash) 03:57

15. 9th Wonder - Let It Bang (feat. Ness & Skyzoo) 03:48

16. 9th Wonder - What Makes A Man 03:13

(feat. Rapper Big Pooh & Buddy Klein)

17. 9th Wonder - Special (Remix) 03:24

(feat. Strange Fruit Project & Media)

18. 9th Wonder - You Wanna (feat. NBS) 04:09

Total Time: 67:23

Also... this from Little Brother 'Carolina Agents' - never knew about this one at all! Ive heard most of the tracks already, but it will tide me over till Get Back is released :(

Cd1 ÛÛ

ÛÛ

01 02:47 Little Brother - Step Off ÛÛ

02 04:37 Little Brother - Feelin Alright (Agent K Remix) ÛÛ

03 04:44 Selan - Always Ft Phonte and Sage (DJ Spinna Remix) ÛÛ

04 04:53 4hole - Give In Ft Phonte and Darien Brockington ÛÛ

05 04:30 Little Brother - Hold On ÛÛ

06 03:38 Little Brother - Carolina Agents ÛÛ

07 04:44 Gisli - Cant Keep Ft Little Brother ÛÛ

08 03:53 Little Brother - Feelin Alright ÛÛ

09 04:20 Big Pooh - Night Like This Ft Darien Brockington ÛÛ

10 07:22 DJ Shadow - Backstage Girl Ft Phonte ÛÛ

11 04:17 Strange Fruit Project - Rise Ft Little Brother ÛÛ

12 03:53 Little Brother - Cloud 9 Ft Linn) ÛÛ

13 04:02 The Away Team - Make It Hot Ft Phonte & Joe Scudda ÛÛ

14 04:32 Krewcial - U.R.U. Ft Phonte and Tanya Saw ÛÛ

15 02:45 Little Brother - Cool As A Fan ÛÛ

16 04:29 Murs - Barbershop Ft Big Pooh ÛÛ

17 04:45 Little Brother - Right Here Ft Median ÛÛ

18 04:36 Flying Lotus - The Perch Ft Phonte Oddisee and Tor ÛÛ

ÛÛ

Cd2 ÛÛ

ÛÛ

01 05:23 Critically Aclaimed - Road Trip Ft Phonte ÛÛ

02 04:56 Cunninlynguists - Yellow Lines Ft Phonte ÛÛ

03 03:06 Cool Cee Brown - No Fear Ft Phonte & Asheru ÛÛ

04 03:23 Evidence - ÛÛ

Letyourselfgo_Ft_The_Alchemist_and_Phonte ÛÛ

05 04:14 Dave Ghetto - Hey Young World Pt. 2 Ft Phonte and ÛÛ

Mystic ÛÛ

06 03:25 Kev Brown - Beats N Rhymes Ft Phonte & Oddisee ÛÛ

07 03:01 Little Brother - No Time To Chill ÛÛ

08 04:30 Spectac - Reasons Ft. Phonte ÛÛ

09 03:06 Murs - The Animal Ft Phonte ÛÛ

10 04:06 The Perceptionists - 5 O Clock Ft Phonte ÛÛ

11 04:22 Little Brother - Fan Mail Ft Joe Scudda ÛÛ

12 03:51 The Away Team - Whos That Ft L.E.G.A.C.Y. and ÛÛ

Phonte ÛÛ

13 04:45 Consequence - I See Now Ft. K West and Little ÛÛ

Brother ÛÛ

14 04:00 Polyrhythm Addicts - Its My Life Ft Phonte ÛÛ

15 03:47 Little Brother - Time Of Your Life Ft. Carlitta ÛÛ

Durand ÛÛ

16 03:26 Supastition - Soul Control Ft Little Brother ÛÛ

17 04:38 Little Brother - Braggin Boasting Ft The Sound ÛÛ

Providers ÛÛ

18 04:43 Little Brother - Whatever U Want ÛÛ

Totals ÛÛ

36 151:29 min

CD3 ÛÛ

ÛÛ

01 04:04 Little Brother - Good Clothes ÛÛ

02 04:10 Phonte - Intergalactic Soul ÛÛ

03 04:33 Evidence - ÛÛ

Nc_To_Ca_Ft_Defari_Joe_Scudda_and_Big_Pooh ÛÛ

04 04:37 Buckshot - Birdz Ft Phonte and Keisha Shontelle ÛÛ

05 04:38 Black Moon - Chicks Out The Pen Ft Phonte and ÛÛ

Keisha Shontelle ÛÛ

06 07:34 Brand New Heavies - Sex God Ft Phonte ÛÛ

(DJ Spinna Remix) ÛÛ

07 04:23 Buckshot - U Wonderin Ft Big Pooh and Sean Price ÛÛ

08 04:01 Little Brother - Life Of The Party ÛÛ

09 04:33 Evidence - NC To CA Ft Defari Joe Scudda & Big Pooh ÛÛ

10 04:08 Drake - Dont You Have A Man Ft Little Brother and ÛÛ

Dwele ÛÛ

11 03:18 Sean Price - Let It Be Known Ft Phonte ÛÛ

12 04:10 Az - Rise and Fall Ft Little Brother ÛÛ

13 02:55 Big Pooh - Try Me Again Ft Jozee Mo ÛÛ

14 04:01 Little Brother - Grown Folks Ft Fakts One ÛÛ

15 04:26 Little Brother - Sinners ÛÛ

16 03:35 Kev Brown - Cant Stay Away Ft Phonte and Grap Luva ÛÛ

17 03:05 Darien Brockington - I Love The Way You Love Ft ÛÛ

Phonte ÛÛ

18 03:39 Little Brother - Shake It

(finally) 9th Wonders Dream Merchant 2 is 'out'. Heres the tracklisting

It's been 'out' for about a month now. Had it on heavy rotation in my car, it's pretty good. Although the best beat on there is produced by Khrysis!

Not surprised, Khrysis is THE MAN :(

Indeed he is, a much more versatile producer than 9th. On that note, I think "The Away Team" have a new album out as well.

Aloud.com has an mp3 of Wu-Tang 'interpolating' the Beatles on While My heart gently weeps to downlload. Its not bad.

Hmm. It's a great song and all, but I'm kinda disappointed they've used exactly the same beat as the Pretty Toney Album reject 'My Guitar' by Ghostface (they couldn't clear the sample at the time). I thought they'd be doing something different with the sample for this group version. I love the vivid Ghostface story telling here, however. Spilling milk on his Clarks is classic Tony Starks.

Truthfully, though, I think I prefer Ghost's solo version. He put much more emotion into that one.

WHERE IS BOOZY???????!!!!! Seriously, he's been gone for like months!! He ain't found life outside of the internet has he?! :)

Tonight.......Clorkwork in Bristol is gonna rock. Myself and Dai will be watching..........Blak Twang, Phi Life Cypher, Mr Thing/Yungun, Se Fire, EZ Rollers, 8 man MC battle, graf, breakdance set, First Aid and more.

Gonna go off! :lol:

That Nas song is pretty good. I wish the drums had more oomph, though. They're a bit lightweight. Imagine big chunky Preemo drums on that cut. Woah.

EDIT: Listening some more I'd like to say I think it's very good, as opposed to 'pretty good.' Deep historical autobiographical rhymes that only Nas can do so nice.

EDIT2: Actually, nah, it is just 'pretty nice.'

Man, in the shower this morning i was thinking about what the deal is with master samples vs composition samples, and was wondering why more people dont just opt for latter as I assume its cheaper.

Re: The Wu track directly, kind of nice, but its not the Wu i want to hear.