IGNORED

Games which have killed a genre for you

Angles Morts

I've got loads of these. In most cases they're not even bad games, but something about them has made me snap and say never again.

Here are 2 for starters.

JRPG - Golden Sun

I'm not sure if I liked this at first or not, but I must have played it for good 30 hours before giving up. I was quite anal about not reading FAQS (I did give in at one point - I'm sure 'Ply' must have been a mistranslation of 'Pray'), and also about getting the little djinn spirits. The straw that broke the camel's back was hearing on the internet that it doesn't even finish, and I'd have to get the second one for any sort of resolution! Cheeky bastards thought I.

Driving - Forza 2

I was quite into this when I first got it, I felt my skill improving and it gave me a nice sense of achievement. At some point though I started getting the nagging feeling that it was all a bit of a grind. Too many dull tracks, and races in such mismatched cars that the AI would just form a nice tidy procession. Anything involving New York, the Oval, King Cobra or Corvettes got put on autopilot. Ah well, at least it has taught me never to drive an American car!

I've got loads of these. In most cases they're not even bad games, but something about them has made me snap and say never again.

Driving - Forza 2

I was quite into this when I first got it, I felt my skill improving and it gave me a nice sense of achievement. At some point though I started getting the nagging feeling that it was all a bit of a grind. Too many dull tracks, and races in such mismatched cars that the AI would just form a nice tidy procession. Anything involving New York, the Oval, King Cobra or Corvettes got put on autopilot. Ah well, at least it has taught me never to drive an American car!

Unless you're making the vague distinction between driving and racing, I can't imagine why anybody would write an entire genre off on the basis they didn't like Forza, a game that's so incredibly anal in it's details and requirements as to be an entirely different beast from the likes of Ridge Racer.

But just in case you are, yes - chances are you won't like the Gran Turismo's and GTR's of this world if Forza didn't float your boat. The only thing distinguishing one from the other these days are those details I mentioned earlier, and to what degree they expect you to indulge them.

But you will have to indulge them, to some degree.

Here are 2 for starters.

JRPG - Golden Sun

I'm not sure if I liked this at first or not, but I must have played it for good 30 hours before giving up. I was quite anal about not reading FAQS (I did give in at one point - I'm sure 'Ply' must have been a mistranslation of 'Pray'), and also about getting the little djinn spirits. The straw that broke the camel's back was hearing on the internet that it doesn't even finish, and I'd have to get the second one for any sort of resolution! Cheeky bastards thought I.

That's what I came in here to post.

Unless you're making the vague distinction between driving and racing, I can't imagine why anybody would write an entire genre off on the basis they didn't like Forza, a game that's so incredibly anal in it's details and requirements as to be an entirely different beast from the likes of Ridge Racer.

But just in case you are, yes - chances are you won't like the Gran Turismo's and GTR's of this world if Forza didn't float your boat. The only thing distinguishing one from the other these days are those details I mentioned earlier, and to what degree they expect you to indulge them.

But you will have to indulge them, to some degree.

Yeah, maybe I should have put that as Racing Sim. I suppose a load of GTR heads would have pulled me up on it then.

Yeah, maybe I should have put that as Racing Sim. I suppose a load of GTR heads would have pulled me up on it then.

More than likely - they're the most zealous of all the driving sim fanbases (no doubt with good cause). I remember playing Gran Turismo for the first time and spending hours trying to figure out what everything did, before being content with just pretending I had and getting on with it. It's possibly the least-accessible genre of them all, where even people who want to like everything it has to offer have trouble taking it all in, and the few who do manage it end up light years ahead of everyone else.

Something that ain't so desirable when there's a strong emphasis on community, like in Forza. I know they tried to make it something everybody could enjoy, but when learning's required and that learning ain't fun...not a chance.

Skies of Arcadia. I'd never played an RPG and everyone said it was great. I hated it with a passion.

Then Oblivion came along and everyone said it was unmissable so I thought I'd give the genre another try. I hated it with a passion.

Looks like I barely dodged the bullet. The first 20 hours of Golden Sun were painfully boring and made me start to think that I hated Jrpgs. It was only during the last 5 hours that it "clicked" and I started enjoying it. But then it ended right when I thought "Ah, this must be where the game starts getting interesting". So GS didn't turn me away from the genre but I've become a lot more choosy when it comes to Jrpgs.

Then Oblivion came along and everyone said it was unmissable so I thought I'd give the genre another try. I hated it with a passion.

Makes two of us. Jeez, I hadn't realised just how well-equipped I was for this thread till people started chucking their own out there.

I don't honestly understand the appeal of The Elder Scrolls series. To me, it's like a bad approximation of what real life would be like in the 7th Kingdom of Grothgothgolinar (or something). It's vaguely engaging for the first hour (where there's actually some structure to proceedings), but once you're out, that's it:

"Make your own fun, this is where we give up".

Oblivion isn't a game in the conventional sense. It's a second life full of all the contrivances you might expect from a game, but it's completely devoid of anything that would bring people like me back to it.

I didn't play another JRPG for years after the utter trash that was Tales of Symphonia. I've never paid much attention to cumulative scores either, which I used to when i was more naive. An RPG! On the Gamecube! ~88%! Fantastic real-time combat system, everything else the most dire rubbish.

GTA 3. I used to like the 2D ones but the transition to 3D lost me, and continues to do so.

PGR. I hate the kudos system. It makes the games like a 15 hour Gran Turismo license test. The racing is OK and I warmed to the first game but the kudos system kills it for me eventually.

Project Zero. I swear to you now that I can't get past the first enemy without dying, yet I have all the games. Why, I do not know!

Twilight Princess. Same old, same old. New direction for Zelda please!

.::: Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - Bye bye platforming, hellooo pointless collecting!

Super Mario 64 (N64) - Bye bye 2D platforming, hellooo pointless 3D collecting!

StarFox Adventures (NGC) - OK, not the genre, just the franchise.

Soccer (real life) - God, what a dull sport.

Shining Force III killed the JSRPG for me. I think that Vandal Hearts completely satisfied me for the RPG elements and then Advance Wars did the strategy better than anything else I had ever seen. After those two, Shining Force III just felt incredibly mediocre. It wasn't even saved by the plot as by that point I had played through at least 20 RPGs and none of the elements felt even remotely special.

It wasn't until I'd played my third warioware game that I thought "I fucking hate these games".

And yes, JRPGs. I've always known it, but having two of them on the go (DQ8 and FF12, although I still think DQ8 is really charming) really made me realise just how stupid "the grind" is. It's not a game, it's a chore.

The almighty and holy Xenogears completely killed JRPGs for me for years, and I'm still unable to play any significant amount of one that has long cutscenes and random encounters. I inched my way back in a little with Dragon Quest VIII and Final Fantasy X, but it's clear the genre in that form is dead to me now.

Black & White ruined God-Sims type games for me.

Make wood, make wood, make wood,...4 hours later, make wood, make wood, make wood...RSI and terminal boredom. I know supposedly you didn't have to keep making wood - the villagers were supposed to - but they bloody didn't for me, not at any reasonable rate!

Edit: No - the creature was supposed to learn to cast the wood spell, which he did, but was too tempremental/lazy to do it most of the time. The villages consumed the stuff stupidly fast, so I was constantly making wood rather than trying to fight off the opposing God/ more interesting stuff.

Skies of Arcadia. I'd never played an RPG and everyone said it was great. I hated it with a passion.

Mr Numpty, you made me cry! :) I just love Skies of Arcadia. I'm sorry you couldn't get on with it. I kinda of agree with you about Oblivion. I was great to start off with but soon became a chore to play.

As for a game 'killing a genre for you'. I've played some duffers in my time but it doesn't mean that the next platform/driving/shooting/RPG game I pick up, isn't going to be amazing this time. You're mad!

I think it was Tekken 3 that killed 3D fighting games for me. I was initially sucked in by the thrill of the new during Tekken 1 and 2 and they were a fun novelty for a while. By the time I got Tekken 3 and started slogging away at it I just realised that these 3D fighting games just plain suck. Their clunky, unnatural feeling, generally rubbish animation and forgetable characters. I did try Soul Calibur on release and although glossy looking still had that horrible clunky feeling gameplay and button mashing bullshit I've come to hate.

I swore I'd never go back to 3D fighting games and I never have. I'm more than happy with the 2D fighting perfection encapsulated by SF3 3rd Strike and to a lesser extent Alpha 3 and Garou. As far as I'm concerned the 3D fighting game genre is dead on it's ass. Long live 2D fighting. :)

Oblivion killed my RPG love for a while... coming off the back of an amazing game like Morrowind, only to slap you in the face with monster and loot levelling sort of takes the whole point of the game away. I didn't touch another RPG for a year after playing it and instead went heavily into FPS and shooting games. Fortunately I regained some of what I lost by playing some Diablo, Dungeon Siege and Morrowind through again, but the lack of decent new titles seems to have put a dampener on the whole thing :)

After playing Soul Calibur 2, which was pretty amazing though, it became clear to me that fighting games aren't meant to be played by me. not that I suck or anything, but more because I need somewhat of a hold-on in a videogame that litterly drags me to the console to play; like a story.

Tony Hawk Underground killed an incredible videogame franchise to me, so since then, screw those Tony Hawk games. Luckely there's SKATE to fix the damage XD

Bioshock made me realise that someone could make an FPS game where you just run round mazes made entirely of crates in order to shoot space marines, with absolutely no narrative context, and I'd be happy as a pig in shit. Old Man Murray is long gone, but the STC still lingers on so people can be smug about stuff. I don't buy it.

The high-fidelity FPS (Crysis, UT3) is basically dead to me now, because it seems like such a massive waste of effort compared to just a few dudes making functionally equivalent crate-and-barrel factories in HL2 Hammer. Maybe I'll give it a go myself!

Driving - Forza 2

This.

I waited for F2 for ages and loved it initially, then it turned into a trudge fest, then i realised that since GPL all those years ago i havent really been into any 'sim' type racing game be it on pc or console.

Tales of Symphonia made me finally realise that all Japanese RPGs are unmitigated shit. Finally I saw that Final Fantasy VII wasn't an epic literary narrative but a long winded, cliché-ridden melodrama full of beautiful 14 year old elves talking a whole lot of shit. In spite of this overwhelming epitome, I saw Final Fantasy XII had got Edge's Game of the Year and some of the year's best press so I bought it. It went back the next day, along with my PS2, so disgusted was I.