IGNORED

Edge 181

Janski

Great Odin's Raven!!

10 is spot on for Halo 3.

7 for MP3 seems helluva harsh... especially based on their preview a couple of months back which was overwhelmingly glowing. Can only assume that they reckon it hasn't changed much from a game that's now quite a few years old and they don't think the controls add to it (which is contrary to their preview).

I agree. The controls should at least give it an extra point. In the preview I had played seemed marvelous.

Main issue with MP3 seems to be that it doesn't really feel like a Metroid game given that the world is not as deserted as other MP games and that there are NPCs.

first few sections feel like a poor Halo

Controls are apparently perfect though

7 for MP3 seems helluva harsh... especially based on their preview a couple of months back which was overwhelmingly glowing. Can only assume that they reckon it hasn't changed much from a game that's now quite a few years old and they don't think the controls add to it (which is contrary to their preview).

It's more that it's changed too much. It's inferior to the first two games in almost every way.

7 is still too harsh, though. There aren't many games as well designed as the Metroid Primes.

You just know that Metroid only got that score because Halo is in the same issue, it's obvious. Instead of looking at Metroid on it's own they obvioulsy compared it to Metroid, and it no doubt is not nearly as good, but then they should compare every game to Halo 3. See how they like that. I might subscribe to Edge again so that I can cancel.

Sometimes you make sense but this is not one of those times.

I haven't played MP3 so can't comment but I have been stunned and amazed by Halo 3. The campaign on it's own wouldn't be a 10 but with the addition of the theatre, which sounds like a gimmick but is totally amazing, and obviously the multi-player and combined with the online functionality of Bungie.net it's a definite 10.

In it's own way I think this is a revolutionary step forward and starts to bring games as a spectator sport into the living room.

Is it possible that when deciding whether to give Halo 3 a 9 or a 10, Edge was a tad influenced by the fact that the hype generated for the game, combined with the magical maximum score, would sell a shed load more copies based on conversations on internet forums like this.

I bet there are a lot of people reading this thread who'll buy this month's issue just to read that review, people who wouldn't have done if H3 had been awarded a 9.

This has no bearing on my opinion of the game itself. I've never played it or even seen it running, just a thought about the minds of editorial teams and how easily they can influence popular opinion.

Sometimes you make sense but this is not one of those times.

I haven't played MP3 so can't comment but I have been stunned and amazed by Halo 3. The campaign on it's own wouldn't be a 10 but with the addition of the theatre, which sounds like a gimmick but is totally amazing, and obviously the multi-player and combined with the online functionality of Bungie.net it's a definite 10.

In it's own way I think this is a revolutionary step forward and starts to bring games as a spectator sport into the living room.

True. Revolutionary sometimes means bringing something to the table that has not been done before and offers amazing possibilities. The theater mode is just that. Expect many games to have one in the future, with much better options which will prove a small revolution for the community and modders.

Some of the battles in Halo 3 feel revolutionary also. Many games who would like to offer an epic, intergalactic feeling will be influenced by some of the directed encounters of Halo 3.

Still, 7 is too low for Metroid. :(

Main issue with MP3 seems to be that it doesn't really feel like a Metroid game given that the world is not as deserted as other MP games and that there are NPCs.

That's not a reason to give it a 7. The controls are better than ever, and some of the level design is brilliant. Plus it's structured much better - there's still backtracking but there's no ridiculously lengthy fetch quests like the keys in Echoes. Unless you count the Energy Cells bit (which I don't because I had most of them and it tells you where the others are if you look properly).

Is it possible that when deciding whether to give Halo 3 a 9 or a 10, Edge was a tad influenced by the fact that the hype generated for the game, combined with the magical maximum score, would sell a shed load more copies based on conversations on internet forums like this.

No, because if that was the case they would have given Bioshock ten as well. Halo 3 got a ten because, HOLY SHIT, it deserves a ten. And not just because of theatre, it has the best set of online community features I've ever seen in a console game.

But Lair a 3? Ouch, the Xbox fanboy brigade on here are going to be insufferable... SONY LOL indeed...

Everyone should be fuming at such a high profile title like that being kicked out of the door in the sorry state it's supposedly in. A shame, as the concept is sound.

Huge congrats to Bungie though. By all accounts the franchise has gone out as it came in, and for one of the most prolific game franchises there has ever been, that's great news for all :(

Continually puzzled by Stranglehold though. I enjoyed the demo and was hoping the main game would build on it more, but after the roasting it got on these pages, I'd relegated it to a bargain bin purchase. Now the reviews are coming out and it's getting 7+ across the board. Anyone care to share a brief outline of what Edge liked about it?

You see, I'm not a fan of shooters and up to now I was quite happy to let Halo pass me by. But now I'm looking forward to reading the review, and deciding whether I need to splash out on an Xplodebox after all. And it can't be just the Edge 10 that's done it, as I didn't have the same reaction to HL2, or Halo 1, or even GT. It's all the positive comments about it in this thread. I've not even looked at any of the other Halo threads because, like I said, up until now I just wasn't interested. Something strange is happening.

Man, I sure hope that's not true. :(

Okay, well it's widescreen now! And the graphics are slightly better. Also, it's got incredible artistic design in terms of archetecture, machinery and creatures... but that's always been the case. I wouldn't be too put off as it's largely the same and mostly just as good (when it gets going), but I don't like the angle they've gone for with this one.

That's not a reason to give it a 7. The controls are better than ever, and some of the level design is brilliant. Plus it's structured much better - there's still backtracking but there's no ridiculously lengthy fetch quests like the keys in Echoes. Unless you count the Energy Cells bit (which I don't because I had most of them and it tells you where the others are if you look properly).

The controls are acceptable, but I expected more. I don't see why they couldn't have a "fix crosshair" option, as having it move with the viewpoint is offputing and makes it needlessly difficult to centre on small targets. With some fiddling, it's okay, but I've never had any issues with the control systems for the previous games and they were more comfortable too.

The structure isn't better at all, aside from the improved fetch quest. Most of the time, you'll find a new upgrade and use it immediately in the same area - it should send you roaming around a bit more. Plus, the upgrades aren't as interesting. The grapple things are cool, but it's mostly beams aside from that. Starting with the high jump and morph ball as standard was a mistake, as they would otherwise be the most gameplay-changing enhancements you could get... even if they have been done before.

I can't abide by their 7, but I agree with their general sentiment.

I mean they review by comittee don't they...the score is dictated by the mag, not the reviewer. What are they trying to gain with a 7.....controversy?

The score is dictated by the reviewer, I remember there being a piece in Edge a while back about their 'Perfect 10s'. It was the sole reviewer of the original Halo who put the '10' on the table. Naturally this was discussed with the other key staff writers, but I doubt they needed a whole lot of convincing not to let the reviewer run with it. I'd assume this applies to all 'controversal' scores. The whole Edge 'hive-mind' thing is more a stylistic attitude I think, rather than a process for reviewing the games. There are a number of contributors to Edge, the 'hive-mind' may be their way of producing a cohesive voice across the mag.

I too was hoping for better things from MP3, hey-ho - it's only one opinion after all...

Starting with the high jump and morph ball as standard was a mistake, as they would otherwise be the most gameplay-changing enhancements you could get... even if they have been done before.

FWIW, from an MTV interview with Retro:

Pacini: In “Prime” 1 and “Prime 2″ we were kind of going by that paradigm of “Let’s give the player some initial abilities up front to give them that ‘Wow, this is interesting; I’m doing a lot of different things’ [feeling] and then let’s take them away and settle into the “Metroid Prime” core gameplay.

But in 3 we had kind of done that already. In 3 we were like, “Are we really going to take the abilities away again? What does that really prove? We’ve already done it in other games.” We were looking for a way to approach this game a little differently and make it more accessible for people. So in the beginning letting the player have the double jump and keep the double jump. It’s easier to move around the environment and it’s more fun to jump around the environment when you have the double jump we thought it might be good to give that in the beginning. As well as the morph ball. It’s fun to do that stuff. Why take it away? Especially when we’re trying to open this up a little more for an audience.

I can see his viewpoint entirely - how many people would have said "and guess what, they take away your abilities again at the start".

I appreciate them not wanting to go down the same route again, but I think if they were going to start you with such major abilities, they should have devised some equally major new ones to pile on top. More like the screw attack would have been nice. I can't think of any ideas off the top of my head, but that's their job, not mine! :(