rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
lordcookie

The Road

Couldnt really get emotionally involved with it. Im left a little disapointed. (No clue about the book, didnt even watch a trailer but for some reason I got swept up thinking it was going to be brilliant)

People in Stoke are apparently beneath this film, it isn't showing anywhere. This is quite annoying.

To get specific, I liked

Robert Duvall. 'what do I have to do?' had more desperation and desolation than the kid's entire performance.

Charlize Theron. The scenes with Viggo were quite affecting, in a sense being a wuss if the whole film had ben those vignettes I'd have really struggled through it.

Spotting bit characters from Deadwood and The Wire, but I failed to recognise Pearce

that's basically it though.

Overall I thought the film was good but not great.

My thoughts as well. The main criticism I have would be the soundtrack- I don't need to be told when to feel happy or sad thanks. I thought the two lead performances were strong enough that the film would've worked with no music at all.

Nick Cave did the soundtrack ..

And? I knew Cave did the soundtrack and I think the film would be better without it.

He'll be re-upping the full film as the group/fella messed up, missing out the last vob in this release.

It's been re-upped - The Road DVDSCR XVID V2-ToXiC(COMPLETE)

Thought the soundtrack was a bit intrusive and not particularly different from what Cave did for Ghosts of... and Proposition. The film was good though and mostly faithful.

I thought it totally nailed one of the early key scenes and had glimpses of Southern Comfort and Deliverance, but the later more important cellar scene was lacking a bit and as it hangs over the rest of the film, was a bit of a disappointment. Couldn't fault the costume design and visuals, I didn't even think about them during the film, you just get absorbed straight away. However, on reflection would say the cold temperature wasn't very well-realised, there was only one scene where I really felt the cold, but for the most you didn't exactly think they were heading towards freezing to death or anything. Dream sequences worked really well, in fact I'd say more powerful than the book, I didn't quite feel their relationship in the book, but Theron's performance really brought it out.

Felt the boy was slightly older than was needed and it gave the impression he was much more capable and aware, whereas in the book he seemed much more exposed and naive. The man was spot on, though and acted really well. Didn't feel it was too long and although a few bits from the book were missed, think it was necessary to reel in the length. The coastal scenes didn't play out quite the same as the book and I thought made slightly less sense, they led up to Omar who needed to lose a fair bit more weight to play that part.

The scene with the flare gun was a bit rushed and the wife of the guy in the house didn't seem to react as you'd expect her to. The man does voice-over for a fair bit of the film, but I found it quite essential, otherwise you'd lose the sense of survival completely, I think. Overall definitely worth watching and I'm so glad they didn't show any of the actual apocalypse as the trailer did. In fact it was nothing like the trailer whatsoever.

Ending spoilers:

I wasn't sure after reading the book, but the film confirmed to me that everything after the man dies is him imagining/hoping that everything turns out okay for the boy. It's just too perfect and doesn't sit well with everything prior. Particularly the way it focussed on the man's paranoia that they're being followed.

Tough film to sit through.

Endearing and delicate in places, tragic in others. On the whole though, incredibly satisfying.

On the note of product placement, I think coke is totally suitable and one of the few items you can get away with having. It totally made sense to me. Vitamin Water on the other hand... that one definitely wasn't in the book.

Thought the soundtrack was a bit intrusive and not particularly different from what Cave did for Ghosts of... and Proposition. The film was good though and mostly faithful.

I thought it totally nailed one of the early key scenes and had glimpses of Southern Comfort and Deliverance, but the later more important cellar scene was lacking a bit and as it hangs over the rest of the film, was a bit of a disappointment. Couldn't fault the costume design and visuals, I didn't even think about them during the film, you just get absorbed straight away. However, on reflection would say the cold temperature wasn't very well-realised, there was only one scene where I really felt the cold, but for the most you didn't exactly think they were heading towards freezing to death or anything. Dream sequences worked really well, in fact I'd say more powerful than the book, I didn't quite feel their relationship in the book, but Theron's performance really brought it out.

Felt the boy was slightly older than was needed and it gave the impression he was much more capable and aware, whereas in the book he seemed much more exposed and naive. The man was spot on, though and acted really well. Didn't feel it was too long and although a few bits from the book were missed, think it was necessary to reel in the length. The coastal scenes didn't play out quite the same as the book and I thought made slightly less sense, they led up to Omar who needed to lose a fair bit more weight to play that part.

The scene with the flare gun was a bit rushed and the wife of the guy in the house didn't seem to react as you'd expect her to. The man does voice-over for a fair bit of the film, but I found it quite essential, otherwise you'd lose the sense of survival completely, I think. Overall definitely worth watching and I'm so glad they didn't show any of the actual apocalypse as the trailer did. In fact it was nothing like the trailer whatsoever.

Ending spoilers:

I wasn't sure after reading the book, but the film confirmed to me that everything after the man dies is him imagining/hoping that everything turns out okay for the boy. It's just too perfect and doesn't sit well with everything prior. Particularly the way it focussed on the man's paranoia that they're being followed.

That's quite a nice way of explaining the absurdity of that ending. Makes no sense in the context of the film, preparing him for something he then doesn't have to deal with alone.

On the note of product placement, I think coke is totally suitable and one of the few items you can get away with having. It totally made sense to me. Vitamin Water on the other hand... that one definitely wasn't in the book.

Didn't even know it was a brand.

On reflection I can totally understand the Coke thing making more sense in the book, having no knowledge of it prior to the film there's no denying it sticks in the throat, which is basically what matters.

Kermode's film of the week :lol:

That's quite a nice way of explaining the absurdity of that ending. Makes no sense in the context of the film, preparing him for something he then doesn't have to deal with alone.

It's built up throughout most of the film, the idea they're being followed. I assumed the dog with the family at the end is the same one that scared them out of the bunker.

Vitamin Water was the product placement that I found a bit too blatant, too. The way he held it up with the label towards the camera was embarrassing.

It's built up throughout most of the film, the idea they're being followed. I assumed the dog with the family at the end is the same one that scared them out of the bunker.

As with the earlier point, it's a nice 'idea' but I don't credit the film with being that clever.

I think you're wrong, but okay.

Did anyone else notice a distinct and sudden colour shift about twenty minutes into the film? I suspect I saw a dodgy reel or something.

What potentially fucks your theory is whether or not the young boy seen by the Son is the same boy from the end family. In which case, they were being followed, so the end isn't a dream at all, just a complete undermining of the story's bleak conviction

I think you're wrong, but okay.

Did anyone else notice a distinct and sudden colour shift about twenty minutes into the film? I suspect I saw a dodgy reel or something.

Yeah, ours went from natural to a harsh green tint.

Glad it wasn't just me that noticed that.

What potentially fucks your theory is whether or not the young boy seen by the Son is the same boy from the end family. In which case, they were being followed, so the end isn't a dream at all, just a complete undermining of the story's bleak conviction

The film is very faithful to the book. But I think you're missing some of the themes and ideas within the story. The Boy constantly fears that they are becoming bad guys, and essentially acts as the Man's conscience: he is the last God. The presence of the Man means that they'll always seek to evade those tracking them so despite a stated desire to find the good guys, they never will. The Boy being more open has the chance.

The book provides only a glimmer of hope. Literally nothing grows, the Boy finding someone only postpones the inevitable. In any case, the book earned the optimistic ending.

Yeah, ours went from natural to a harsh green tint.

Glad it wasn't just me that noticed that.

Was it during the scene where

the guy having a piss notices them hiding in the grass?

Nobody's showing this in Hull, it would seem. I'd really love to see this in the cinema, but it looks like I'll be downloading that repacked screener instead :lol:.

Heh, I'm glad linkster is slating this. That pretty much guarantees it's decent! :lol:

The film is very faithful to the book. But I think you're missing some of the themes and ideas within the story. The Boy constantly fears that they are becoming bad guys, and essentially acts as the Man's conscience: he is the last God. The presence of the Man means that they'll always seek to evade those tracking them so despite a stated desire to find the good guys, they never will. The Boy being more open has the chance.

The book provides only a glimmer of hope. Literally nothing grows, the Boy finding someone only postpones the inevitable. In any case, the book earned the optimistic ending.

Honestly, no I didn't miss those things since they come up again and again, leaving almost nothing to the imagination. the point about meeting the family is reasonable though

it also makes sense what someone said about the casting of the kid seeming too old, but then that just another example of it being a bad film.

Was it during the scene where

the guy having a piss notices them hiding in the grass?

Aye. It became noticeably quieter, to boot. Ah well.

Would it have been any better if it was Pepsi? What about Um Bongo? Look at the vending machines around you, it'd have to be some licenced product.

No, it 100% has to be a can of Coke. There is no other product on the the planet that embodies modern civilisation more than Coke, it's a big American corporation which has become a recognisable brand even in the poorest and most remote parts of the world.

The boy has to drink the Coke as it's his only chance to connect to that fallen civilisation.

No, it 100% has to be a can of Coke. There is no other product on the the planet that embodies modern civilisation more than Coke, it's a big American corporation which has become a recognisable brand even in the poorest and most remote parts of the world.

The boy has to drink the Coke as it's his only chance to connect to that fallen civilisation.

Yeah, it's significant because of what it represents, as well as being an iconic image in and of itself. Yet the kid doesn't know what it is - to him it's just a drink that's 'bubbly'.

Anyway, even though I own the book, I never got around to reading it before seeing the film. I don't know whether I'd feel differently if I had, but I thought it was a terrific film, if not a pleasant watch. Wasn't quite as harrowing as I thought it was going to be, but it was certainly plenty bleak. Mortensen was pretty amazing - rightly wild-eyed and intense at times, but with a real warmth to his performance when it was needed.

As a dad, the thought of not being able to see my son grow up is perhaps my biggest fear, which is why the end absolutely slayed me. Blubbed like a baby.

Yeah, it's significant because of what it represents, as well as being an iconic image in and of itself. Yet the kid doesn't know what it is - to him it's just a drink that's 'bubbly'.

I wonder just how many of you recall the Pepsi advert of 20 years ago when a future generation finds the bottle to which the baffled scientist tells the kid he has "no idea" what it is while they slurp the competition.