IGNORED

The Road

lordcookie

The Road, a post-apocalyptic book written by Cormac McCarthy (No Country for Old Men) is being directed by John Hillcoat (The Proposition) and has now got a star interested (Vigo Mortensen). Both director and actor are interested in collaborating on the project so unless there is a clash in scheduling it is likely to happen.

The novel is about a journey taken by a father and his young son over a period of several months across a landscape blasted years before by an unnamed cataclysm which destroyed civilization and most life on earth. Our very own Buddha of Gaming described it as Lone Wolf crossed with I am Legend so if that doesn't get you excited I don't know what will.

Hillcoat seems ideally suited to the source and Mortensen would fit in very well with his style of film making.

Here's hoping it gets made before his Death of a Ladies Man in 2009.

Buy me, bitch!

Here's hoping it gets made before his Death of a Ladies Man in 2009.

Looks like it is - From Coming Soon

Todd Wagner and Mark Cuban's 2929 Productions is gearing up for an adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's (No Country for Old Men) Pulitzer Prize-winning The Road, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Dimension Films is in final negotiations to distribute the apocalyptic thriller in North America.

The film, based on McCarthy's 2006 best-seller, centers on a father who walks alone with his son through a ravaged postwar American landscape in search of civilization. While Viggo Mortensen has been attached to play the lead role, no deal is in place, and his participation had not been decided by press time.

John Hillcoat (The Proposition) will direct from a script adapted by Joe Penhall. Marc Butan, Wagner and Cuban will executive produce through 2929, and Nick Wechsler (North Country), Steve Schwartz and Paula Mae Schwartz will serve as producers.

The feature is scheduled to begin production in January.

• 3 months later...

Theron looks set to play Viggo's wife in the film.

Charlize Theron has signed on to join Viggo Mortensen in the bigscreen adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's bestselling novel "The Road" for 2929 Entertainment.

Dimension Films will distribute domestically.

Story centers on a man who embarks on a nightmarish road trip after a nuclear explosion in an attempt to transport his son to safety while fending off cannibals. Aussie helmer John Hillcoat ("The Proposition") is directing from a screenplay by Joe Penhall.

Theron, who will play the wife of Mortensen's character, will be seen mostly in flashback. Although the role is small, Theron joined the project because she's a big fan of the book -- published by Knopf in 2006 -- and was eager to reteam with producer Nick Wechsler, with whom she worked on 2000's "The Yards."

Wechsler is producing alongside Steve Schwartz and Paula Mae Schwartz. Shooting is set to begin next month.

Theron is currently filming "The Burning Plain," also for 2929. She recently wrapped "Hancock" opposite Will Smith and the indie drama "Sleepwalking," which she also produced.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797901...yid=10&cs=1

This project is shaping up really well so far.

The book never actually states that there has been a nuclear explosion, it's equally possible there has been a natural disaster.

Fucking amazing book, I read it in a couple of sittings and it blew me away. Mortensen seems a good choice for the lead, I just hope they don't choose some moppet for the role of the boy, that part will take some serious acting chops.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
http://www.hotpress.com/news/4513883.html

Nick Cave to work on The Road

18 Mar 2008

Nick Cave has confirmed that he and Warren Ellis will write the soundtrack to John Hillcoat’s forthcoming film adaptation of Cormac McCarthy’'s The Road.

Hillcoat has of course collaborated with Cave many times before, most notably on his debut film Ghosts Of The Civil Dead, and 2005’s Cave-scripted bushranger western The Proposition. Hillcoat was due to begin work on another Cave screenplay, Death Of A Ladies’ Man, but that project was postponed when he was offered The Road, which follows the Coen Brothers Oscar-winning adaptation of another McCarthy novel No Country For Old Men.

"“He'’s filming it as we speak,"” Cave revealed to hotpress.com, "“Death Of A Ladies’ Man was written because he wanted to go straight into making another film after The Proposition, and we went for a low budget English film for practical reasons, because he lives in England and he could do something fast. So I wrote him this, which is basically set outside his door where he lives in Brighton, and I live in Brighton too. He wanted to do that while the Hollywood stuff he hoped would come in, which it certainly did.

“"But in fact to fund this film, which was considerably less money than any of the other stuff, was an absolute fucking nightmare. So what happened was it didn’t get made and John got offered The Road. And he had a very difficult decision because he really likes the film I wrote him, and he invested a lot of his own energy into the script as well. So anyway, now he’s making The Road, and we’re doing the music. It’'ll star Viggo Mortensen and Charlize Theron.”"

The Road will extend a prolific period of film work for Cave and Ellis, who recently collaborated not just on The Proposition soundtrack, but also the score for Andrew Dominik'’s The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

One of my favourite ever books and one of my favourite musicians doing the soundtrack, really looking forward to this now.

Good stuff. Listening to the soundtrack to The Assassination of Jesse James a lot at the moment which Nick Cave did and I can see a lot of the music in that fitting in nicely with this. Still not totally convinced it's going to be a good adaption.

• 1 month later...

Not really, a while ago since I read it, but I remember being

inordinately grateful that there was a glimmer of hope at the end.

I do think it's going to be a difficult film to watch if they follow the book closely; there was some dark shit going on there. I'll also be interested to see if they keep the dialogue as sparse and repetitive as it was in the novel.

• 2 months later...