All things Yakuza/Like a Dragon! - new games announced

womblingfree

2 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Up to chapter 10 on my Legend playthrough of Zero now; have been able to sprint through to Chapter 10 in ~6.5 hours but now I reckon I'll need to upgrade my characters a fair bit before progressing or I'll hit a difficult spike.

Climax Battles are also more difficult than I anticipated too so my goal of getting the Platinum Trophy before the year's end might be a tad optimistic. 

How would you say Legend difficulty is? This is what's kept me from starting it sooner tbh, I'm a bit of a completionist but also not great at fighting games so a bit on the fence about starting it if it's going to be too difficult to complete on that setting lol. 

3 hours ago, Varsity said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but Yakuza 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 are both less than £5 each in the current Xbox sale. As they are all leaving game pass soon, if you're planning on checking them out, I'd snap them up now. 

I've bought all 3 because I will be starting them at some point. Haven't played a single one yet but hoping to get started on the saga soon and very much looking forward to it. 

3p short of £12 with Gold pricing for the 3 of them - incredible, thanks for the heads up. A small price to pay for not having to put the disks in the PlayStation (and with Microsoft’s attitude to backwards compatibility, I feel safer with them in my Xbox library).

36 minutes ago, Varsity said:

How would you say Legend difficulty is? This is what's kept me from starting it sooner tbh, I'm a bit of a completionist but also not great at fighting games so a bit on the fence about starting it if it's going to be too difficult to complete on that setting lol. 

Oh its not actually difficult at all if you stock up on items. Upgrading is a time-sink. If you wanna Platinum the game it's likely 150+ hours. I found Like A Drag9n a better entry point for the series (and an easier Platinum) but I've only played those two.

9 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Oh its not actually difficult at all if you stock up on items. Upgrading is a time-sink. If you wanna Platinum the game it's likely 150+ hours. I found Like A Drag9n a better entry point for the series (and an easier Platinum) but I've only played those two.

I did consider like a dragon first but have heard it spoils parts of the earlier games ^^

I dont know if it spoils earlier games too much but there are definitely references that went over my head. It did make me fall in love with the characters and world though, so I'm looking forward to getting back to it (eventually) with fresh eyes.

I normally loathe when a game has a cutscene longer than a minute or so I'm surprised Yakuza hooked me so strongly. 

Kiwami 2 complete. The main story anyway. Before I move onto Yakuza 3 which I completed on the PS3 in 2017 I  need to decide if I want to go back and do the Majima chapters and win the last two hostess club tournaments first, especially when I can't press the square button fast enough for the bonus money in the latter. Overall I really enjoyed it, my main annoyances are the street battles which have too many enemies to fight and the power up to minimize them only reduces the enemies to two instead of removing them completely like in Kiwami 1. They also chase you all the way across the map so it's hard to run past them without needing to use a vending machine to clear them chasing you and if that doesn't work you have to go back and find any that got stuck somewhere along the way and beat them before the battle is over.  I ignored the clan builder sidegame because tower defense is boring.

Last chapter spoiler

Spoiler

Majima diffusing the bomb might be the funniest moment ever in a Yakuza game 

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

Kiwami 2 complete. The main story anyway. Before I move onto Yakuza 3 which I completed on the PS3 in 2017 I  need to decide if I want to go back and do the Majima chapters and win the last two hostess club tournaments first, especially when I can't press the square button fast enough for the bonus money in the latter. Overall I really enjoyed it, my main annoyances are the street battles which have too many enemies to fight and the power up to minimize them only reduces the enemies to two instead of removing them completely like in Kiwami 1. They also chase you all the way across the map so it's hard to run past them without needing to use a vending machine to clear them chasing you and if that doesn't work you have to go back and find any that got stuck somewhere along the way and beat them before the battle is over.  I ignored the clan builder sidegame because tower defense is boring.

Last chapter spoiler

Hide contents

Majima diffusing the bomb might be the funniest moment ever in a Yakuza game 

Well worth doing the majima chapters. Doesn't take long at all and some real sweet story.

4 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I normally loathe when a game has a cutscene longer than a minute or so I'm surprised Yakuza hooked me so strongly. 

It’s the writing and the interesting characters. And that they aren’t afraid to have fun and rip the piss out of themselves.

99% of games are so badly written that I’d rather they just went ‘the Princess is in another castle, go get her’. 

5 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I dont know if it spoils earlier games too much but there are definitely references that went over my head. It did make me fall in love with the characters and world though, so I'm looking forward to getting back to it (eventually) with fresh eyes.

I love the setting tbh, amazed I've never got round to any of them sooner. Big K-drama fan etc and love asian culture and tones. 

Will line it up as my next start after I finish MGS5, so in about 6 months lol. 

6 hours ago, Popo said:

3p short of £12 with Gold pricing for the 3 of them - incredible, thanks for the heads up. A small price to pay for not having to put the disks in the PlayStation (and with Microsoft’s attitude to backwards compatibility, I feel safer with them in my Xbox library).

Also worth noting that the remastered collection of 3,4, and 5, and also Yakuza 6 are still on sale as part of the Countdown sale. Y6 particularly is very cheap - for anyone who wants to outright own them

I've completed the Cabaret Club storyline in Kiwami 2. In hindsight I should have spread it out over the game instead of playing it on chunk after beating the main story because it's a bit repetitive and grindy and the music is now stuck in my head. The callbacks to Yakuza 0 were also completely lost on me because I didn't play the minigame in that at all. 

On 28/12/2021 at 19:25, Totoro said:

Well worth doing the majima chapters. Doesn't take long at all and some real sweet story.

You were absolutely right. 

Spoiler

I loved that Mokoto got a happy ending and it was really sweet the way the showed it. 

Onto Yakuza 3.

So after briefly pausing my run onto Judgment for Halo Infinite (urgh wish I hadn't bothered, was garbage) I'm now back onto it. Starting straight in everyone's favourite Yakuza city it was really weird walking around seeing the vast upgrade with this engine. Don't think the others had this much detail and it looks lush to the eye though I got the impression the map was slightly larger and the game bigger on screen. Might just be me or perhaps the camera is zoomed in more but didn't feel the same, doesn't cause any issues and I'm all for chance but I've been playing so much Yakuza I might be picking up on the oddest of stuff. I spent a couple of hours wandering around, just exploring and mostly enjoying the new combat. A lot snappier than previous games but its packed with so much detail and the detective stuff adds a whole new level to the game that I've never seen before.

Looking forward to getting into it more as I was a bit worried the main character wouldn't be very likable but he's pretty fun so far but I'm sort of hoping we see some old Yakuza people knocking around the city. Luckily tonight I was able to grab a copy of Lost Judgment for £20.50 so I'm all set for the sequel when I'm finally done with this. 

Everytime I walk past that building with the big staircase, I always have a sad pang and think that's where Disco Maharaja used to be. Much the same as I do in real life walking past where the departed haunts of my youth used to be in my own town.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Everytime I walk past that building with the big staircase, I always have a sad pang and think that's where Disco Maharaja used to be. Much the same as I do in real life walking past where the departed haunts of my youth used to be in my own town.

I've tried entering it on every new game!

Considering how property is at a premium in Kamurocho I also can't believe that the site of Shangri-La has remained vacant for 16 years. Are property developers really that scared of basement gimps?

I've finally beaten the Five Stars! Club Sunshine reigns supreme, while Makoto starves in a garage.

2 hours ago, joffocakes said:

The catfights trophy was the absolute worst. Sometimes they just decide it's not your turn to win.

I decided against pursuing this when I balanced how long it would feasibly take against the possibility of my wife walking in during an attempt. I'm barely living down the cabaret club makeovers as it is.

15 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

I decided against pursuing this when balanced how long it would feasibly take against the possibility of my wife walking in during an attempt. I'm barely living down the cabaret club makeovers as it is.

Haha yeah, my wife said "this is embarrassing. I'm embarrassed for you".

Really appreciated the localisation in Zero again last night, after encountering a character named "Misogynist Prick". Felt slightly dissonant after being reminded of the catfights though. :lol:

Onto Yakuza 4 then and again this is missing so key QOL improvements like save boxes not being around and a constantly full inventory. 

But I'm really enjoying it, and a fair bit more than Y3. I think it's just Akiyama is an interesting character and I like his attitude to loaning cash to those that need help. 

Only on chapter 4 but mopping up all the sub stories and loving it. 

After less than a fortnight off I was suffering withdrawal symptoms so I'm now part way through 3. Running around and fighting is obviously pretty janky compared to Zero and the Kiwamis (especially 2) but the story has really got its hooks into me. I'm a sucker for a feelgood tearjerker about orphans, I just wasn't expecting to find it in the punch the Japanese gangsters game.

Having said that I'm much less inclined to go hunting for side quests in this one, as the ones I've done so far have been pretty forgettable.

It's annoying that you can't install mods on the PC game pass versions of this.

Finally got round to starting Yakuza 5 and wanted to install the mod that removes all the cut content from the game (mainly music lost as Sega didn't want to play licence fees for international use) but it's impossible.

Ah well, the opening is still fantastic and it's gotten its hooks in me immediately.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

After less than a fortnight off I was suffering withdrawal symptoms so I'm now part way through 3. Running around and fighting is obviously pretty janky compared to Zero and the Kiwamis (especially 2) but the story has really got its hooks into me. I'm a sucker for a feelgood tearjerker about orphans, I just wasn't expecting to find it in the punch the Japanese gangsters game.

Having said that I'm much less inclined to go hunting for side quests in this one, as the ones I've done so far have been pretty forgettable.

I think I ended up doing about 90 out of the total 110 odd or whatever.  And ended up 50% completion rate by the time the credits rolled after about 35hrs I think. 

The story is great as you say but it's not the best in series at all.  I too had to start 4 as was missing Kamuro after a short break. 

I suck at Table tennis just can't get the timing right.  Darts is also solid in 3 and 4. 

So like Y4 is really bloody good. 

The first Revelation 

Spoiler

Probably one of the funniest things I've seen in the series. The panty thief leaping around the roof and then falling in slow motion with an orbit of panties and bras as a choir sings. 

I mean I never expected to type that paragraph ever in my life. 

Then and I mean then!!!

Chapter 2 start 

Spoiler

The introduction to Saejima is probably one of the greatest cut scenes in the history of videogames. 

Amazing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Uzi changed the title to All things Yakuza/Like a Dragon! - new games announced