All things Yakuza/Like a Dragon! - new games announced

womblingfree

Finally finished Yakuza Zero in the early hours of this morning. I didn't intend to, as I had to wake up at 3am to catch a train but I couldn't stop myself from pushing on. Kinda wish I'd known the ending/credits would be 50+ minutes long, though. 😐

~115 hours all in, through I still have Mahjong and some weapon crafting left to do, might as well go for the 100% since I'm so close.

Spoiler

Though one trophy is finishing the entire game again on Legend difficulty. Maybe I'll do it in parallel with Kiwami.

Still on Y5 and just finished part 2. Highlights are the

Spoiler

woods and punching a bear 🤣

Done about 25 hours so far and really been taking my time with it but seems a bit strapped for content compared to the last. Didn't take me very long to get through the sub stories and sidequests. Luckily the stuff in the woods and taxi driving were a fun waste of time. Now I'm dancing in an office... which is one hell of a change of pace from the seriousness of the earlier parts. I love these games.

I'm itching to play Halo but I can't keep away, will have to wait til Christmas.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's absolutely brilliant :D You need a break between Yakuza games so you play Judgment. You sir, have excellent taste!

Closest thing I'll get to a holiday for a while! 

Actually stayed in Kabukicho for a while, and it's uncanny how well they captured the essence of the place.

Shame they didn't include the hotel with the huge godzilla, guess they couldn't get licence to use it.

Judgment is friggin' awesome! Kamurocho never looked so good ( until I get to last Judgment I guess )

In a moment of curiosity I fired up Kiwami through game pass streaming last night - now, I played the original on PS2 for about 8-10 hours back in the day, and at this point don’t remember much about it, but I certainly don’t remember Majima being in it. He’s crazy! Not at all the same character from Zero. Was he really in the original? I only remember a funeral, and needing to batter everyone at the funeral. 

So I'm putting it out there Kiwami 2 is better and more impressive technically than Yakuza 6. 

It's fucking brilliant. I love being able to experience the evolution of Majima and Kiryu's relationship since zero. 

And the fact it looks amazing even if it's 30fps. 

What really winds me up about that though is.  You press that guide button on the Xbox and you can see the game in the background is running at 60fps. (Series X ) 

Hit B and back to 30. 

Anyway this is clearly one of the greatest, If not, The greatest game series ever. 

Am I right in thinking Kiwami 2 is the more recent out of the two? I think 6 was their first go with the Dragon Engine. Makes sense that Kiwami 2 is the bigger, better game in a way.

I’ve yet to play 6. I understand folk found it a little slight compared to other entries, but tbh the thought of that really appeals.

I need to go back and finish 5. I put 20 hours in, completing Kiryu’s taxi game and Seijima’s bear hunting in that time. Burnt myself out a bit, but the Yak5 prospect I’m most hyped about is one day getting back to it and seeing what Haruka’s idol stuff is all about.

When I started the pop idol stuff in 5 I thought it was just boring mini games but a few days in and I think I'm turning into one... I know the songs and dance moves off by heart. At the start I was randomly bashing the buttons, now I take great joy in knowing when each bar and colour is due. And then in typical Yakuza style it all gets blown out of the water 🤣 What a game!

29 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

When I started the pop idol stuff in 5 I thought it was just boring mini games but a few days in and I think I'm turning into one... I know the songs and dance moves off by heart. At the start I was randomly bashing the buttons, now I take great joy in knowing when each bar and colour is due. And then in typical Yakuza style it all gets blown out of the water 🤣 What a game!

Bet you know the words to TONIGHT as well. 

12 hours ago, cassidy said:

Bet you know the words to TONIGHT as well. 

I *may* have mostly learned "24 Hour Cinderella" phonetically just in case I get an opportunity to sing it at a karaoke place in Japan one day!  It's a banger.  I don't get the Baka Mitai love though.

Very close to ticking off the completion list in Yakuza Zero now, just grinding out some fights in two of Majima's styles and sending out more weapon expeditions from the weird wee restaurant. 

Had no real clue how to play Mahjong before this (Like a Dragon's Platinum trophy didn't require it), so I'm pretty happy that I now have a grasp of the basics. I was away from home for three days and couldn't play Yakuza so instead I played Mahjong in the Switch's Clubhouse Games for hours to prepare for my return to Kamurocha, haha. 

For the Mahjong, an unadvertised (or at least not obvious) button press is X on your turn to see if you can declare Riichi, which you'll be wanting to do.  I think I tinkered with some of the settings too so you can go out on a hand of simples and not require a 2-han hand.

3 hours ago, joffocakes said:

Very close to ticking off the completion list in Yakuza Zero now, just grinding out some fights in two of Majima's styles and sending out more weapon expeditions from the weird wee restaurant. 

Had no real clue how to play Mahjong before this (Like a Dragon's Platinum trophy didn't require it), so I'm pretty happy that I now have a grasp of the basics. I was away from home for three days and couldn't play Yakuza so instead I played Mahjong in the Switch's Clubhouse Games for hours to prepare for my return to Kamurocha, haha. 

The text in the expedition summaries was so funny. Really highlighted the effort they went to with the localisation.

6 hours ago, TomCGCG said:

I *may* have mostly learned "24 Hour Cinderella" phonetically just in case I get an opportunity to sing it at a karaoke place in Japan one day!  It's a banger.  I don't get the Baka Mitai love though.

The absolute best hidden gem in the world of Yakuza karaoke though has to be 5's Kamuro Lullaby, which Kiryu can sing on his lonesome in Fukuoka near the beginning of the game. 

Seeing his long transformation from the Kiryu that blasts out the juvenile, naively anarchic Judgement in Y0, through to Y5, by which time, haggard and worn, Kiryu is singing old man enka in a tatty grey anorak, does more for his character development throughout the series than any number of plot twists and turns. 

Check out the emotion in this! 

1 hour ago, MatOfTheDead said:

playing Y4 at the moment and finding it a bit of slog compared to the other games (Saejima's story) does it pick up and get better

I found 4 to be the opposite. Whizzed through it without bothering with side quests though. Looking forward to 5 after reading the comments about it.

13 hours ago, MatOfTheDead said:

playing Y4 at the moment and finding it a bit of slog compared to the other games (Saejima's story) does it pick up and get better

Not really as I finished it recently. Just push through the main story bits as its a bit silly even for Yazuka standards.

Heads up, Yak fans. Three of the games are leaving Game Pass at the end of the month, so get 'em finished if you haven't already.

Yakuza 0 (Cloud, Console, and PC)

Yakuza Kiwami 1 (Cloud, Console, and PC)

Yakuza Kiwami 2 (Cloud, Console, and PC)

Fortunately I've done those, but it's a reminder that I really need to play 5 and 6.

Oh no! I'm about 2/3 of the way through K1 (just mopping up side quests before heading off to meet (the people who I presume are) the big baddies) so I might get that done, but no chance with K2. Oh well, time to cash in some more points and buy it I suppose.

• Uzi changed the title to All things Yakuza/Like a Dragon! - new games announced