IGNORED

All things Yakuza/Like a Dragon! - new games announced

womblingfree

29 minutes ago, Luseth said:

By all accounts this was a bit of a change in direction with regards to gameplay? Is it going to be easy enough going backwards or is there a possibility I might struggle? I only ask as I the turn based combat worked really well when my litle un keeps grabbing the controller or pulling me away from the console as she wants attention etc. I imagine the faster combat from previous games will be tougher to play.

The combat system in the earlier games is essentially "bash X and occasionally hit Y" with a few extra moves thrown in - there are various things you can pull off but they're more often situational than requiring complex inputs. It's lots of fun in a Streets of Rage kind of way but it's hardly Tekken. Also most of the general street fights are very easy so minor distractions won't cost you the game. All games apart from 3 and 4 can be paused at any time, too.

Other than that, the rest of the game works in pretty much the same way. Strongly recommend you start with Zero next as it's the beginning of Kiryu's story in the same way that 7 is (hopefully) the start of Ichiban's.

Still plugging away at Yakuza 5. Very near the end now but taking the opportunity to clear out as many bits and pieces as I can before finishing. From what I understand, NG+ in this game only takes your save from the end of the first playthrough, not anything you've done in Premium Adventure, so on the offchance I ever do go completely mad one day and decide to try and 100% this, I'd want a pretty levelled-up save as a starting point.

Bloody hell though this game is enormous. I've played it very slowly and completed all the side-stories for each character, and I'm sitting on 35% completion. Even deep into the final chapter, I'm still unlocking stuff all over the place (half the minigames and the coliseum only become accessible in the final city, and I just found a way of increasing the level cap for every character!) I even found a substory for Kiryu that requires me to have completed all the restaurant quests for the chef guy you meet in every city, so I'm going back now and trying to finish those off.

Trying to work out what the hardest things to do for completion would be. NG+ aside, I reckon it's a toss-up between Pachinko (literally no clue what is happening) and having to trigger every heat move for every character. I'm also exceptionally shit at batting (the regular one, I'm OK as Shinada) and the third level of Air Hockey requires ninja reflexes. Has anyone here ever been mad enough to attempt the Platinum on this game?

@Garwoofoo Just use a guide for batting. 

There's bound to be one out there. 

I'm gonna have a Kamuro break now I've finished Judgment but I'm gonna start Kiwami again on the Xbox and work my way through em again and have never played 4 or 5.  

1 minute ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Is 6 a good one to play next after completing and loving 0?

It's kind of jumping the story a bit (a lot). I don't rate Kiwami 1 very much as the original game was their first effort and there's only so much the remaster can fix, but Kiwami 2's pretty great and looks awesome.

Asking you to play through all of them's a stretch, so I'd recommend Kiwami 2, 6 or Like a Dragon. 6 is good, but you'd then be coming in at the end of that saga. Like a Dragon's a relatively fresh start with a new protagonist, though it is now a JRPG style battle system instead of a brawler. Thankfully, it's a good one!  

Thanks - I do enjoy the story (Y0 was probably the best story driven game I've ever played) but it's not my main motivation for playing the game. I love doing the trivial stuff like hanging out at whisky bars, playing pool and just soaking up the atmosphere. I've spent a ridiculous amount of time doing that and even bought every pool/snooker game that I could find to recreate that late night whisky drenched Yakuza pool buzz - nothing came close of course.

There was talk up the thread of the humour in this as being "wacky" - there are definitely quirks to its personality and it's not scared of being different, but for me the humour is found in the really subtle stuff, the brilliantly judged timing of a withering putdown or the weary sarcasm. Some of the writing doesn't translate perfectly but the body language and pauses can be really effective.

Oh yeah, Judgment is great. Except the tailing missions, but there's not a huge amount of them.

And if you like hanging out in bars and soaking in atmosphere, Like a Dragon has a party of chums to get to know and love, and their base is an awesome looking bar on a street corner where you have drinks with them to increase the party bond. It's great stuff. Most of the ambient party interactions are great too.

I mean, I'll never say 'go buy this' because then I'm at fault if someone bounces off something - but that doesn't mean I won't give them glowing recommendations!

On 03/06/2021 at 12:47, Uncle Nasty said:

Is 6 a good one to play next after completing and loving 0?

I'd go straight on to Kiwami 1 as the plot between 0 and 1 is so close. Also, 1 is a much smaller game that you can get through in less than 20 hours and the main story moves at quite a pace.

On 03/06/2021 at 14:04, Uncle Nasty said:

Thanks - I do enjoy the story (Y0 was probably the best story driven game I've ever played) but it's not my main motivation for playing the game. I love doing the trivial stuff like hanging out at whisky bars, playing pool and just soaking up the atmosphere. I've spent a ridiculous amount of time doing that and even bought every pool/snooker game that I could find to recreate that late night whisky drenched Yakuza pool buzz - nothing came close of course.

There was talk up the thread of the humour in this as being "wacky" - there are definitely quirks to its personality and it's not scared of being different, but for me the humour is found in the really subtle stuff, the brilliantly judged timing of a withering putdown or the weary sarcasm. Some of the writing doesn't translate perfectly but the body language and pauses can be really effective.

Late answer but IMHO in terms of everything you describe here, Judgment is closest to Zero of all the Y games. Like A Dragon also, but that depends whether you don't mind turn-based combat. I think I would rate Judgment even higher than Zero with the kind of subtle humour and body language story telling you describe.

16 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I’m going to play them all, it’s happening. Thanks for the pointers. 

I'm doing the same thing very soon myself. But you will need to play something else after completing each one or Yakuza burnout will happen. 

Think of it as a pallet cleanser.

I'm back on to Assassin Creed Valhalla now before diving into Kiwami 1 again. 

25 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Same.

Just started 3 and oof it’s a bit rough after Kiwami 2. Feels very stiff and restricted in the old engine. Story is great though as is the change of scene. 

I bough the collection of 4, 5 and 6, are they all in the old PS3 engine?

34 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I'm on this journey. 0-4 done, 5 in progress. WIth Kiwami and 3 I didn't do much outside of the main stories but they've all been worth playing. Have had to have a week without playing any though - can get a bit burnt out!

8 minutes ago, xtremeboat said:

I'm on this journey. 0-4 done, 5 in progress. WIth Kiwami and 3 I didn't do much outside of the main stories but they've all been worth playing. Have had to have a week without playing any though - can get a bit burnt out!

Madness, the side stories are the best bits!

22 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Oh wait hang on. I got 3,4 and 5. 

Big stretch of jank coming my way then. 

Yes and no. 3 is very dated, it's early PS3 era and also the series' first properly 3D instalment so it's working a lot of stuff out on the fly. (That said, it has an impossibly charming opening and one of the best villains in the series, I'd say it's definitely worth playing through the main story at least).

4 uses the same engine as 3 but does a lot more with it, it doesn't feel half as dated. I'm generally a bit down on 4, but technically it's OK and a definite improvement on 3.

5 is absolutely fine. It uses the same engine as Zero and Kiwami, it looks great, it's got a stupid amount of content, it's one of the best games in the series. But it does really expect you to have played the previous games, especially 4, because there are a lot of callbacks.

tldr: play them all, embrace the jank.

My playthrough of 4 has come to a halt and I can't bring myself to go back to it. I don't mind the different characters and the story is interesting, but the fact I can't go back and mop up previous characters side stories and having to start my levelling up each time has killed it for me. I'm sure I'll go back at some point, but I'll probably just mainline the story and then move on. It's definitely the weakest of the series so far mechanically. 

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Yes and no. 3 is very dated, it's early PS3 era and also the series' first properly 3D instalment so it's working a lot of stuff out on the fly. (That said, it has an impossibly charming opening and one of the best villains in the series, I'd say it's definitely worth playing through the main story at least).

4 uses the same engine as 3 but does a lot more with it, it doesn't feel half as dated. I'm generally a bit down on 4, but technically it's OK and a definite improvement on 3.

5 is absolutely fine. It uses the same engine as Zero and Kiwami, it looks great, it's got a stupid amount of content, it's one of the best games in the series. But it does really expect you to have played the previous games, especially 4, because there are a lot of callbacks.

tldr: play them all, embrace the jank.

Ah that’s great info thanks.

So be it then. I’ll be at one with the jank. 

Well the Amon fight against Kiryu in Yakuza 5 is some bullshit. The other three characters were easy enough but this guy's ridiculous.

You can't block his attacks so my standard tactic of using Komaki Knockback is useless. Tiger Drop also doesn't seem to work against anything other than his strongest attacks (which you are better off avoiding).

Every time you try and attack, he blocks every attack then holds you in a death grip which you have to hammer A to get out of. Seriously, after playing this a few times my whole hand is hurting from having to hammer the A button constantly. This death grip also drains your Heat so I can't use any decent attacks in this fight.

Every tactic I've read online relies on you throwing him then getting him in a loop, but I've not managed to land a single throw on him. He's escaped every single one (and, yay, more button mashing).

After a while he starts teleporting round the arena, setting fire to things and getting you in unbreakable juggles, just for fun.

He's got about a million health bars. I don't think I've seen a colour I recognise yet.

The only damage I'm able to do is by grabbing him (about one time in six) and then landing some basic punches. This chip damage adds up over time but there's no way I'll make it through the fight like this.

It's not like I'm underpowered either - level 22 (maxed out once then broke the level cap), completed all the master training, completed all the IFR8 bonuses, got most of Kiryu's moves unlocked - but this just feels impossible. I really wanted to do this before going on and completing the game, but I think I'm going to have to abandon it. :(

16 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

It's not like I'm underpowered either - level 22 (maxed out once then broke the level cap), completed all the master training, completed all the IFR8 bonuses, got most of Kiryu's moves unlocked - but this just feels impossible. I really wanted to do this before going on and completing the game, but I think I'm going to have to abandon it. :(

Can't remember the fight, but no cheap and cheerful cheese vids on youtube for taking care of it?

4 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Can't remember the fight, but no cheap and cheerful cheese vids on youtube for taking care of it?

Thanks for the tip - I didn't exactly manage to cheese it (there is some infinite loop apparently that I was never skilled enough to get him into) but I did get several useful tips, including that maintaining a specific distance from him prevents him from using his powerful moves during his red glowy phase, and that certain moves can be baited then Tiger Dropped.

It was still a difficult, tedious war of attrition but I DID IT with a tiny sliver of health left then jumped around the room in jubilation for a bit afterwards.

That means I now have the Golden Pistol for any future run through Legend Mode. There's part of me that really wants to try and Platinum this game, simply because it's such a ludicrous undertaking, you'd have to be a maniac to even consider it. Then again, after 80 hours I'm only at 51% completion, and I'm ready to take a break once I've seen the end. One day, maybe, I'll be back to finish the job.

So hey! Despite owning Like a Dragon on PC already I bought the steelbook on Series X for £15 from Boss Deals on ebay because I wanted a physical copy. I dunno if I'll ever open it as it already has permanent residence on my PC, but hey.

Bet you're all thrilled to hear my awesome story, huh?

• Uzi changed the title to All things Yakuza/Like a Dragon! - new games announced