All things Yakuza/Like a Dragon! - new games announced

womblingfree

49 minutes ago, Gambit said:

And Yakuza 5 finished. So my ranking of the PS4 Team Yakuza games is as follows:

Yakuza 0

Yakuza Kiwami

Judgment

Yakuza 6

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Yakuza 3

Yakuza 5

Yakuza 4

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

In the end I'd rate 5 just above 4. Even though it does suffer the same issue 4 had, in that there are too many characters so unless you're battering the game over a week it's difficult to keep track with where people are in the story and what's going on. I wonder if that's why they decided to reel it all back in for 6 and only let you play as Kiryu?

I'm now ready for Yakuza 7. And after that I really hope a Judgment sequel is on the horizon.

tenor.gif

I think it was the new engine that limited things with 6 while they were getting to grips with it. There’s quite a bit less side content too

1 minute ago, Cheyenne said:

Judgment started out as one of my faves. By the end I thought it was one of the worst.

Judgment_20190621211940.thumb.jpg.76c4efbec915a9f610290a1b84344561.jpgObjection!

(Nah fair enough, personal preference and all that. But I honestly loved it all the way to the end. And beyond because the end credits are absolutely fantastic :lol: Judgment is top 4 Yakuza games for me easy)

I've started Yakuza Zero after reading this thread and recommendations from a mega fan in work but I'm struggling to connect with it. I'm finding the combat a little repetitive and dull and the quest style a little 'retro' to say the least. What should I be looking for to get into these as I honestly think they should be my cup of tea.  

Just now, grungekid said:

I've started Yakuza Zero after reading this thread and recommendations from a mega fan in work but I'm struggling to connect with it. I'm finding the combat a little repetitive and dull and the quest style a little 'retro' to say the least. What should I be looking for to get into these as I honestly think they should be my cup of tea.  

Keep playing. If you're halfway through and you're not feeling it, it's not your cuppa.

Started Yakuza 5 last night and completely freaked when Kiryu showed up in his very first scene wearing a face mask. For one insane minute I was wondering if they’d somehow managed to patch that in this year as some sort of 2020 reference before remembering that that game is only set a few years ago and they were probably not uncommon in daily use. Indeed I’ve already seen a few NPCs wandering around with them on! Nice touch. 

3 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Started Yakuza 5 last night and completely freaked when Kiryu showed up in his very first scene wearing a face mask. For one insane minute I was wondering if they’d somehow managed to patch that in this year as some sort of 2020 reference before remembering that that game is only set a few years ago and they were probably not uncommon in daily use. Indeed I’ve already seen a few NPCs wandering around with them on! Nice touch. 

I had the same reaction in Spider-Man when a very Covid-y thing happens - at one point there’s even a poster somewhere that says “Stay home - protect lives” !

To be fair face masks are worn commonly in Japan and around Asia, and have been for a long time. People in Japan wear them when sick themselves, which sounds familiar. 

8 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Been curious about that one myself, have never really found out much information about it other than it exists. Let us know if it’s worth bashing one out to down the Gandhara video club.

It’s directed by gonzo filmmaker Takashi Miike of Ichi the Killer and Audition fame. Given the source material and amount of batshit Yakuza films he’s made in the past, you’d expect this to be a match made in heaven, but it’s sadly more like a fairly anonymous DTV action movie. His Phoenix Wright movie wasn’t much better. It’s a shame as if anyone were to lean into both series underlying weirdness you’d think it’d be him. 

37 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Holy shit, Takeshi ‘Audition’ & ‘Ichi the Killer’ Miike made these computer game films? :( That legit makes me very sad.

Aye but he makes so many films, several a year on average, that not all of them are going to be fantastic. I think he makes stuff like that to get the funding for his great stuff like 13 Assassins.

42 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

@Kayin Amoh is Blade of the Immortal one of Miike's good ones? I love the original manga!

It's really good though not nearly as good as 13 Assassins, but that's one of the all time best samurai films (definitely worth a watch along side Tsushima). 

10 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

It’s directed by gonzo filmmaker Takashi Miike of Ichi the Killer and Audition fame. Given the source material and amount of batshit Yakuza films he’s made in the past, you’d expect this to be a match made in heaven, but it’s sadly more like a fairly anonymous DTV action movie. His Phoenix Wright movie wasn’t much better. It’s a shame as if anyone were to lean into both series underlying weirdness you’d think it’d be him. 

I liked the Phoenix Wright movie he did. :(

The way they did the "OBJECTIONS" and "TAKE THATS" by basically using holograms to fling at people was amazing and genius.

On 29/07/2020 at 14:03, Calashnikov said:

Been curious about that one myself, have never really found out much information about it other than it exists. Let us know if it’s worth bashing one out to down the Gandhara video club.

It arrived yesterday. Here are my thoughts that I will just copy nd paste from a thread in the Film & TV folder:

Yakuza: Like A Dragon

My Yakuza fandom was not complete till I watched the Takeshi Miike movie. The most bizarre thing is that it was released in 2007, just two years after the first Yakuza game came out. I guess Sega really were banking on this being their GTA.

If you haven't played the game then good luck following the story. Or what there is of it. I now realise how Takeshi Miike has a filmography of over 200 films. This feels like it was made over a weekend. Set in one night in Kamarocho, it starts off with Kiryu walking around the city fresh out of prison with Haruka following. That's how it starts! Not the crime that he took the fall for, or his relationship with Nishki, it starts with what I think is partway through the story of the game. Nishki himself not turning up till the last fifteen minutes the film, that's your main antagonist who has less screentime than some comedy duo who are robbing a bank in "hilarious" fashion. It's clear Miike took the wrong things from the Yakuza game, instead of the humour being from the witty and clever writing, coupled with Kiryu's dry reactions, its all a bit slapstick. Especially from Majima who is just a cartoon. I didn't care for it. Even though I loled when the final fight ends with Kuryu drinking a Staminan X and getting Heat.

1/5 - 2/5 if you like the games

-------------------------------------------------------

They really did Nishki dirty in this film. Other than some slight mentions that him and Kiryu were "tight", it doesn't delve into their history at all. In fact, I don't remember him having any speaking lines!

I've just discovered the Yakuza series and so far I'm having a delightfully silly time with it.

I bought Yakuza 0 in the steam sale and have just started chapter 8. There's a staggering amount of content in it and even though I'm trying to stick to the (rather silly) core story I'm still finding it hard to not do other things.

One thing I did find rather strange is that the games suddenly got rather pervy, rather quickly (watching girl on girl wrestling and the introduction of masterbating booths and a side mission where a girl is selling her knickers in the space of about an hour). I'm not a prude, and now some of the practices have been explained to me I understand their context within the game, but it still came as a bit of a leap after not seeing anything similar for the previous 20 hours. It's interesting that stuff like this seems to get a free pass (I don't recall anyone getting angry about it on release for example). I'd just watched Jim Sterling's new video about an hour before seeing all this, so its placement stuck out like a sore thumb.

I really didn't know what to expect from Yakuza, but 0 suggests the entire series is going to be a lot of fun. I'm going to leave it a while before tackling Kiwami (I've apparently got a lot more to do before I'm close to finishing and I have plenty of other PC games I want to try out) but I'm definitely going to. It does feel like it's glorifying a dangerous lifestyle, but Kiryu is just soooo cool.

I don't think people were that bothered about the "seedy" nature of some of the Yakuza 0 content because it was way worse in certain sequels. One of them (maybe 6?) had real life video of women in bikinis. In 0 it just felt....silly in compairson. Less offensively shit and more roll your eyes type of thing I guess.

My advice to you is to enjoy the side content. The main story is great, but the real meat I found was enjoying the silly moments of Kiryu stumbling upon the weird characters of Kamarocho.

I’m not a huge fan of the perviness in the Yakuza games either, though to be fair it’s almost always part of the optional content and it’s often (but not always) played for laughs. Y0’s wanking booths are pretty much redeemed by the soft grunt and the lingering close-up on the box of tissues, for instance. The cat fights are pretty bad, although also a very bad minigame so probably best avoided anyway. (Mesuking in Kiwami 1 is better and also sillier). 

The only one that really unsettled me was the FMV photography game in Kiwami 2, which was played completely straight and seemed completely out of character with the rest of the game. You’d have to play it over and over to “complete” it, too. I didn’t. 

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

The only one that really unsettled me was the FMV photography game in Kiwami 2, which was played completely straight and seemed completely out of character with the rest of the game. You’d have to play it over and over to “complete” it, too. I didn’t. 

That reminds me of Michigan, which also had a rather grim camera section to it.

As I said, I'm not a prude, I just found it interesting that people would be up in arms if something like this was in a western release but it gets a free pass under "culture". Again, I'm not offended by it being in there (I've bought more than enough limited edition vita games over the years) it was just a weird thing to see and there seems to be quite a relaxed attitude to it.

It is ridiculous and it is bad, and it isn’t really possible to defend, but it is set in Tokyo’s red light district which is a pretty pervy place all things told.

Thankfully most of it is optional / played for laughs but, yeah, I dunno. It’s maybe the gaming equivalent of a Carry On film or something. Except it’s from 21st century Japan as opposed to 1970s Britain, which probably makes it harder to excuse. It definitely wouldn’t be the same series without it. But yeah, can’t excuse it and I wouldn’t even ever make an attempt to. That’s not what this post is. I think this post is just me going, “Ooft, yeah, it certainly is, isn’t it? Jeezo, man.”