All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

• 1 month later...

I've moved house recently and have just noticed that a handful of PS3 games has gone missing in the move. I've searched high and low, but can't find them anywhere. One of the games is Yakuza 4.

So, I was wondering whether anyone who has played and completed it would be willing to sell/trade/whatever a copy?

I think I'm beginning to understand the pain Shenmue fans feel whenever a topic gets bumped. My poor heart. :(

And those poor bastards only had two games to play. We've had four main titles, four spin-offs, a movie and if you're in Japan themed noodles, booze and Tupperware. At least 5 exists and hopefully even if it never comes out heret here'll be a subs patch or great translation FAQ someday.

I'm calling a Christmas release. Let's make it happen.

And those poor bastards only had two games to play. We've had four main titles, four spin-offs, a movie and if you're in Japan themed noodles, booze and Tupperware. At least 5 exists and hopefully even if it never comes out heret here'll be a subs patch or great translation FAQ someday.

I'm calling a Christmas release. Let's make it happen.

I'm just hoping that since it was released in Japan just a few months ago in December past their it's just taking them a while to announce it, maybe E3? I can accept not getting the PSP games and even Yakuza Kenzan (though that's still heartbreaking even now) but I NEED 5 damnit.

Doesn't the director of the game really hate the west and gave a lot of surly interviews to western journos around the time of 4?

Nagoshi ? No not as far as I know, I don't think he's ever been 'anti west' at all.

He was probably just pissed up on booze at the time if his old Edge columns were anything to go by.

Has there not been any talk at all of the HD remakes coming over either? Never having played a Yakuza game I've been hanging on for them. Surely it should be a trivial thing since they were localised in the first place?

Doesn't the director of the game really hate the west and gave a lot of surly interviews to western journos around the time of 4?

Then why did he make Binary Domain? Which featured the cast and crew from that old Coca-Cola ad.

DSl3SbM.jpg

The sales performance from 4 must have been piss poor for them to debate so long about trying yet again.

Apparently 4 did OK, it was Dead Souls that didn't do that great. I really REALLY hope they didn't go by that games sales though, it's purely fan service and a side thing to the main series. Surely Sega would know that......

Come on Sega don't leave us fans in the dark.

4 was like the last Advance Wars/Vanquish/Bayonetta, still available brand new at a very low price ages after release, never a good sign, especially for a niche title. Compare them to something like Nino Kuni, sold ok and still priced high. If it was a no brainer, they would have announced it by now instead of having to debate the worth of trying again. It does have a shitload of text to translate which doesn't help.

That's nothing new with the Yakuza games though (and Segas retail games in general) 3, 4 and Dead Souls were all the same in that regard but 3 and 4 still did ok and profitable enough to keep the releases coming even if they weren't exactly mega hits. Hell Sega could if they wanted to go with digital only, of course I don't know the cost of translation but you'd save cash on packaging, distribution etc.

It's typical though that the one Sega series I care about the most (in recent years) I have to fuckin pray that it makes it over here!

That would probably be the best option, digital only, don't drop the price, sell a small amount at a reasonable profit to cover the costs. nobody loses out (apart from consumer rights advocates and people who think games are too expensive anyway ;))

• 3 weeks later...

Nagoshi once stated he wanted to champion hi-spec hardware, hence why he didn't make games for the Wii but instead concentrated on HD machines, but this news is a bit WTF in all honesty, considering he discounted ports to the X360 a few years ago due to some sense of loyalty.

I was looking for the quote but can't quite remember the exact language he used, did find this recent interview with him though, the final bit shows he is still true to the spirit:

"I'd like to ensure that console games don't lose their luster," he declared. "Behind that, I suppose, is the concern that they will, indeed, become a thing of the past if we don't do something. This isn't new, but in a lot of different ways, the 'social' keyword is seeping into all parts of the console business. So part of me sees the console scene as endangered, something we have to act to support. I feel the need to keep that scene active so it doesn't get shunted to the side, and even at this moment, I'm busy thinking of how we'll keep titles like Yakuza going."

When asked about future goals for the company, Nagoshi brought up Sega's traditional image; He describes it as the young upstart that produces wildly out-there titles and doesn't seem too pre-occupied with bottom-line profits. "I want to think about things from ground zero one more time," he said. "That's tough for our younger staff, but it's also fun and exciting. That's what you want the Sega logo to represent: things that seem crazy at first, but really surprise you when they take form. Even if people say 'Oh, now they've done it' at us sometimes, I don't want to do away with the expectations that people have had for us since way back. It wouldn't seem right if Sega acted all firm and conservative, would it? I think I'd like to keep that."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/27/4035006/segas-nagoshi-on-next-gen-the-relic-purchase-and-keeping-consoles

Well, I sure as hell didn't see that coming. Be interesting to see if future instalments become WiiU exclusive. First Monster Hunter and now Yakuza, Nintendo sure does have a taste for those Sony third party exclusives. lol

I don't think the Yakuza ports have been announced for the west and the HD ones are already out on PS3 (in Japanese obviously). I can't see the wii u getting a translated version and the PS3 being left out.

Please don't make me buy a Wii U just for some PS2 ports, please release the HD remakes on PSN goddammit Nagoshi

You'd need to buy a Japanese Wii U as the machine is region locked. It doesn't seem like the HD versions are coming westward on either format.

I don't think the Yakuza ports have been announced for the west and the HD ones are already out on PS3 (in Japanese obviously). I can't see the wii u getting a translated version and the PS3 being left out.

That's what happened with the only Sakura Taisen game to be released in the West, became a Wii exclusive in Europe, despite being originally developed exclusively for PS2 in Japan and then ported to Wii exclusively for the Western translation, so stranger things have happened in the past :P

That's what happened with the only Sakura Taisen game to be released in the West, became a Wii exclusive in Europe, despite being originally developed exclusively for PS2 in Japan and then ported to Wii exclusively for the Western translation, so stranger things have happened in the past :P

And this exact scenario I was imagining,the PS3 versions remaining lost in Japan and only the Wii U getting a Western translation.

Please don't make me buy a Wii U just for some PS2 ports, please release the HD remakes on PSN goddammit Nagoshi

Don't worry, this time next year we'll have Yakuza 5, HD Collection and Kenzan all localised and released on PS3 as well as both of the PSP games localised to play as well.

Right ?

Right ?

:(

Be interesting to see if future instalments become WiiU exclusive.

I doubt it, Sega have a lot of success with yakuza on Sony platforms and with WiiU struggling it is unlikely to get a brand new exclusive game. Sega like to knock out ports after a few months, it's not especially unusual for them. In the past they have ported Wii games to PS3, this isn't such a strange move.

It's a surprising announcement for sure, but I wouldn't bother reading too much into it. All they've done is take a recently ported update and write some extra code to publish on a second platform. Minimal risk compared to a full exclusive.