IGNORED

All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

19 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I also started with Y1 on PS2. Nobody else I knew cared. I remember with the Y3 thread when the game was announced it was like 3 forumites total in that thread. It's been my favourite series ever since the PS2 days.

Like A Dragon is a triumph. You'll love it. 

Yeah it's amazing. I'm on my second run through after finishing the full series. Feels incredibly fresh now I've got so much of the place and history at the back of my mind.

Good to hear 😄

Honestly, I'd just heard a lot of backlash about the battle system and a few people saying that they got fed up towards the end of levelling and gave up but, yeah, I'm a Yakuza nut so I will have to get it done. Need to crack on with the Judgment spin-offs as well.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post was that I can also remember being disappointed by the lack of English dub in the original Yakuza 2!! I think I was disgruntled that Sega had cheaped out for what would surely be a poor-selling game at the end of the PS2's life. Little did I realise that they were doing us all a favour! I can't even imagine wanting to play these games with a dub these days. There are some memorable/funny moments in the first game's dub though, specifically when thugs call Kiryu a "stupid old f***" or that cutscene where Kiryu says "step the f*** up and die!" (pretty badass to be fair).

Just started my first ever Yakuza game (Like a dragon) only a couple of hours in but I’m loving it so far. Is the whole game proper cut scene heavy? Or is it just setting the scene? I think I’ve only been in control of the character for maybe 5 mins of the first hour and a half

3 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Just started my first ever Yakuza game (Like a dragon) only a couple of hours in but I’m loving it so far. Is the whole game proper cut scene heavy? Or is it just setting the scene? I think I’ve only been in control of the character for maybe 5 mins of the first hour and a half

Way less as you get in to it. I was actually loving those early cut scenes.

1 minute ago, Totoro said:

Way less as you get in to it. I was actually loving those early cut scenes.

Oh I totally agree, it’s really got me in to the story and I’m terrible for letting my mind wander during cut scenes

2 hours ago, CovisGod said:

Oh I totally agree, it’s really got me in to the story and I’m terrible for letting my mind wander during cut scenes

Rest assured the wonderful characterization and character development stays good, even gets better, all the way through. 

So looking for a recommendation please...

I've only completed Yakuza 0 a few years back and sunk tonnes of hours in. One of my favourite games ever. 

I'm back in the market to play another Yakuza (or Judgment) game - which is the next best entry in the series please?

3 minutes ago, smithstock said:

So looking for a recommendation please...

I've only completed Yakuza 0 a few years back and sunk tonnes of hours in. One of my favourite games ever. 

I'm back in the market to play another Yakuza (or Judgment) game - which is the next best entry in the series please?

Yakuza: Like a Dragon. It's a JRPG now, but it's also one of the best games ever. Also a pretty good fresh start, so you don't need any backstory from the other games. Maybe 6's ending would explain one part of it, but it's extremely minor.

Need real time combat? Judgment 1's on sale on Xbox right now for the next day or so (maybe ending today?), might be on PS as well. Lost Judgment 2's also awesome, and the Kaito files are divine. Some of the Judgment specific additions aren't great though revolving around tailing or detective work. Both these are standalone from the Yakuza franchise in story continuity, though J2 follows on from the first with a new case so may have a few spoilers.

Kiwami 2's the other combat option. Superb, but sadly only 30fps unless you play it on a PC.

1 hour ago, Totoro said:

I didn't find him very likable at first, but then he grew on me. Probably intended!

I initially felt he was a bit of a 2nd rate Majima.

Yeah, you can't say for sure you dislike him before playing a good chunk of the game. Incredible character development. @smithstock okay, you have one final chance! Ganbatte

16 hours ago, Totoro said:

I didn't find him very likable at first, but then he grew on me. Probably intended!

I initially felt he was a bit of a 2nd rate Majima.

This is basically my take. He's comfortably vying for 3rd place.

Will give it more time as soon as I've hoovered up on Spider-Man. 

27 minutes ago, megamixer said:

Tier 0 Kiryu aside, Akiyama was my favourite, with Saejima a close second. Really missed playing as them after 4 and 5. Akiyama is just cool as fuck.

I’m really surprised they didn’t do a Akiyama spin off. The sheer amount of fun shit they could have done with his ‘questionable’ lending policies to people could have been amazing.

11 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I’m really surprised they didn’t do a Akiyama spin off. The sheer amount of fun shit they could have done with his ‘questionable’ lending policies to people could have been amazing.

Maybe they'll reconsider now that their ambitions with Judgment have been shot down

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

Maybe they'll reconsider now that their ambitions with Judgment have been shot down

Well, it’d be nice but it looks like the new DLC for Judgment has given us a pretty good sidekick promotion! 

Or at least that’s what it looks like…still yet to play the games :(

10 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I've not played the Judgment games yet still got Yak5 & 6 but what happened to the Judgment games?

31 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I've not played the Judgment games yet still got Yak5 & 6 but what happened to the Judgment games?

Main actor guy is like a Justin Bieberlake-level icon in Japan and the agency who owns his ass ain’t happy about the potential for PC modders to mock up skins where you see his tadger. Therefore no game on any format is allowed his likeness ever again. I’m not even joking.

17 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Main actor guy is like a Justin Bieberlake-level icon in Japan and the agency who owns his ass ain’t happy about the potential for PC modders to mock up skins where you see his tadger. Therefore no game on any format is allowed his likeness ever again. I’m not even joking.

What a stupid decision by his agents. Guess he won't get much work in gaming anymore. Hopefully they can take the series forward with the side-characters.

What's the general consensus on Tier list for the Yakuza/Judgment series?

I've just started on Like A Dragon on Game Pass, think I've reached the same point as I did on PlayStation - hasn't got it's hooks in me just yet, but I'm definitely open to more Yakuza after a break. 

11 hours ago, smithstock said:

What's the general consensus on Tier list for the Yakuza/Judgment series?

In terms of the Yakuza games, I think most people would put Zero and Like a Dragon as the best, then Kiwami 2, 5 and 6 a little way below those, then the rest. But honestly they are all good and it's worth playing them through in order if you can.

Haven't played Judgment (yet) but both games have a very good reputation.

16 hours ago, gospvg said:

What a stupid decision by his agents. Guess he won't get much work in gaming anymore. Hopefully they can take the series forward with the side-characters.

Putting real life actors Japanese actors in your game is fraught with peril.

It's the reason we'll likely never ever see a re-release of FInal Fantasy VII: Crisis Core.

Of course Yakuza had previous problems in this area when they had to completely re-do the face/voice of the villain of the original Judgment when it came out he had a taste for Bolivian marching powder. I think there was some scandal involving the guy who played the cop character in Yakuza 4 as well, which is why he got the Poochie treatment after that game.

12 hours ago, Orion said:

Finally finished up 6. Going to miss old Kiryu. Onto Like a Dragon next. Hoping to pick up an S in July/August so will get the Judgement games then.

Same. I'm fair way through LAD now and keep hoping Kiryu will pop up at some point. 

On 24/04/2022 at 00:20, Calashnikov said:

I read that he didn't like doing 3rd version of projects or something along those lines - because they are usually inferior.

I remember his bandmate was found naked, drunk and asleep in a public park in Tokyo few years ago. Was massive news over there. 

2 hours ago, Totoro said:

I read that he didn't like doing 3rd version of projects or something along those lines - because they are usually inferior.

I remember his bandmate was found naked, drunk and asleep in a public park in Tokyo few years ago. Was massive news over there. 

He may not like doing the "3rd album" but all of the press that came out around it was specifically about the fact that Sega/ RGG were releasing and would release a load of previously console only games on pc and his agents didn't like it. 

That might have been an attempt at clever PR to make it seem like it wasn't his own decision or something but it always sounded a bit weird.

Then again, I have no idea who he is in regards to Japanese cultural significance, I just quite selfishly would like another judgment game. Thankfully (even though it's way to short and 'narrow' for the money) the DLC ably showed that he isn't strictly needed. 

Although the tale heard over the phone where Tak apparently had a chase on a pond with Swan pedalos sounds like something that would have been a great part of a judgment game. As well as possibly taking the piss out of the actor for not being involved.