IGNORED

All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

Nearing the end of Zero but...

Spoiler

... Jo Amon, why were you sent to curse me at the eleventh hour?

Edit:

Spoiler

Yesss. He talks a big game but he goes down with a zap gun to the face like anybody else. Both Amons done, all substories complete... on to the finale.

Finally finished Yakuza Zero- 81% completion after 125 hours. Finding it slightly incredible that I've been playing it since August! I'm going to miss Kiryu and Majima.

I played it in the worst way, really- obsessively hunting down side missions and completing Real Estate Royale and Cabaret Club in the same chapters they were introduced in. This pulled me away from the main plot for a long time and robbed everything from chapter 7 onwards of some flavour, as I had nothing else to focus on except ploughing through the rest of the story. Kamurocho and Sotenbori ended up feeling a bit emptier than they did in the early chapters. I loved the plot though and the localisation was one of the best I've ever played.

Spoiler

I also loved Makoto asking for the heads of the Dojima lieutenants. Shame about what happened next.

I think it'll be a good while before I start Kiwami. Based on the ending, numerous callbacks and a lot of the setup the story gets up to, I think it would've been more rewarding to go against received wisdom and play that first to enjoy the payoffs in Zero.

I completed Yakuza 4 last week. One of my faves so far. 

I'm now on 5 for the first time ever and I hope they explain what happened between the end of 4 and 5. Cos I was not expecting Kiryu to be where he is in life tbh. 

5 is good so far. Like the side stories being introduced and quite enjoying the change of pace. 

Is it odd that I have no Yakuza burnout after playing kiwami to 5 in a row 😂

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

I think it'll be a good while before I start Kiwami. Based on the ending, numerous callbacks and a lot of the setup the story gets up to, I think it would've been more rewarding to go against received wisdom and play that first to enjoy the payoffs in Zero.

There's definitely something to be said for that, but your idea doesn't work if you play only Kiwami 1. The pay offs in Zero come out of callbacks/references to later games. To get the full effect as intended, you'd have to play Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, and then Zero. That's the release order and how I experienced Zero which added a lot to how I experienced Majima's character development.

But Zero is also an excellent starting point. Prior knowledge is not required and the game is enjoyable, brilliant even, on its own without catching those references. It's also one of the best games in the series - if you want to convince people to give Yakuza a try and become a fan of the series, Zero is the safest bet. (Alongside Like A Dragon nowadays). That's why: start with Zero

37 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

How long are you spending on each one? I went into Zero expecting just over 30 hours and got sucked in. Probably could've spent even longer on it if I cared about shogi and climax battles.

Yakuza 3 about 35hrs and 60% completion 

Yakuza 4 about 55hrs and 71.9% completion 

Think I spent about 55hrs on Kiwami 2 and about 60% completion 

Try to do most if not all sub stories bar beating Amon and never play Shogi or Mahjong. 

What are Climax battles? 

42 minutes ago, cassidy said:

What are Climax battles? 

Fights where you have a restriction placed on you, like only having some of your unlocked abilities. Given that I wasn't fussed by the combat system, I didn't bother.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

There's definitely something to be said for that, but your idea doesn't work if you play only Kiwami 1. The pay offs in Zero come out of callbacks/references to later games. To get the full effect as intended, you'd have to play Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, and then Zero. That's the release order and how I experienced Zero which added a lot to how I experienced Majima's character development.

But Zero is also an excellent starting point. Prior knowledge is not required and the game is enjoyable, brilliant even, on its own without catching those references. It's also one of the best games in the series - if you want to convince people to give Yakuza a try and become a fan of the series, Zero is the safest bet. (Alongside Like A Dragon nowadays). That's why: start with Zero

I'm not sure that starting with Kiwami is a tough sell for me, personally. (I'm actually hoping that it's significantly pared down, as the sheer amount of stuff to do in Zero was distracting.) I suppose I'll find out when I come back to the series after a palate cleanser or two in the interim.

It's just my preference, in the end- there were times when an interaction was clearly a very specific reference to previous games and it was a bit wasted on me. I still like it as a standalone game, mostly.

I don't get the difference between a 'cabaret' club (the Grand) and a 'cabaret club' (the Sunshine). They both just seem to be where men pay to talk to young women. The explanation went right over my head, except that a 'cabaret club' is the big new thing.

I took it as the difference between a 60s classy nightclub in Soho (live acts, dance floor, big band, yes paying to talk to women sure but not the entire focus, strict no-touching policy) and a 80s/90s strip club (no live music, rules ignored, significantly seedier, sex the entire focus).

Both are still grim, but one is less grim.

Been having a lot of fun with Lost Judgment with it being the last in the series for me, couldn't resist buying the DLC and spent the entire weekend working my way through the boxing gym section. So much so that I've destroyed the tip of my thumb with all the manic fighting. Worth it as it was awesome bopping around like Rocky. Its a shame the fighting stance for it has that pull back look for the camera as I'd have prefered it to zoom in over the shoulder like in the gym. Could have had some awesome fights out in the world, once that is powered up it really does become a god send in a most fights and stopped relying on Snake as much to use it for bosses. I was taking my time and building EXP so was around 6 hours to clock the lot, was hoping I'd get to fight Kaito but not to be.

And the coach..  🤣 oh god he might just be one of the funniest I've ever seen in a game before.

Don't think I've much longer to go as I'm in Chapter 11. My biggest problem with it compared to the first is the lack of detective cases, the main world seems really empty with not much to do as they removed the random quests on every street corner. I was hoping the speech bubbles dotted around would result in more but no matter which I listened to or got the audio tool out to eavesdrop it doesn't do anything with them.

I do prefer this one to the last as the main story is def better and the fighting system has become my fav by far. My only complaint with it is I wish the direction keys were mapped to each fighting stance, pressing down to select each one takes ages mid fight so many a point I was getting beaten and couldn't get to the right stance in time. I'm not flogging this after I've done as I'm waiting for the Kaito files!

I'm hoping the next game has more stuff going on in the court for Yagami, would be great to do more legal cases in the Phoenix Wright style which was hinted at it in the first. I kept thinking Ichiban would make an appearance (maybe he does in the last couple of chapters!) or some more people from the Yakuza series. The one thing I have taken from it all is that Maijima should be in everyone. Even if its just popping up in bars around the towns. Anyway sorry for the ramble, just having a lot of fun and sad its almost over. God knows what I'm going to do next as I've been at this summer!

Is cabaret club a translation change thing? They're called hostess clubs in the all the other games up to 0, maybe the translators thought cabaret sounded a bit less seedy for a place you recruit a struggling single-mum and a pensioner. Mind you they go back to hostess in Kiwami and onwards so maybe not.

Been rather enjoying 5 so far. Coming straight from lost judgment it did initially seem very janky, but soon got used to it. Rushed a bit through the first 2 characters but really enjoying the change of pace with Haruka, so I’ve been doing loads of her sid missions. Feels so strange to be able to walk around the town without getting attacked every 20 seconds. Guessing I’m close to the end of her section now though. Will probably go back and sort the bear out once I’m through - before heading into 6.

4 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I'm not flogging this after I've done as I'm waiting for the Kaito files!

Glad I read this, was actually about to try to sell my copy, will hang onto it for sure now.

So does anyone else play with the blood settings turned down to mild?  It's the first thing I set now on a new Yakuza game when I'm in the menus inverting the Y axis.  I found all the splatter in every fight a bit much, for a game about someone trying to do the right thing, and also a lot of the encounters have very minor flashpoints compared to the level of ultraviolence being dished out.  With the blood settings at mild it's as though a light duffing up is all that's required to teach SHADY MEN the error of their ways.  Lovely.

Full disclosure:  I still do a cackle and a recoil when a heat action is particularly nasty.  Oof at the pliers weapon in Kiwami 2!

1 minute ago, TomCGCG said:

Full disclosure:  I still do a cackle and a recoil when a heat action is particularly nasty.  Oof at the pliers weapon in Kiwami 2!

For some reason it's the face scrape along the pavement in Yakuza 5 that always makes me wince.

Nope doesn't bother me in the slightest tbh. 

Just wrapping up the hunting now in Y5. Taken down the giant bear and just doing the rest of the hunting missions. Before I carry on with the story. 

Didn't like it that much initially the hunting but it soon grew on me.

Though the fact I had a hunt last night that saw no bears on the way up the mountain, that then ended with me being chased down the mountain by about 5-6 of the buggers. 

Pretty tense that was. 

21 minutes ago, Orion said:

I left the bear with the intention of going back later but never bothered. Its probably eaten everyone in that village by now.

That was a easy hunt tbh and you end up in a normal Yakzua fight anyway, which isn't as good as the Tiger fight in Kiwami 2. 

One of the things I absolutely love about the Yakuza games is that the violence seems so "pretend". You beat people up in ways that would kill them, but after the fight they are all just sitting on the ground rubbing their elbows and knees. Like they all just had a play fight.

Bit of dissonance when the story cutscenes have gun murder, of course.

Wow, I'm finally through Lost Judgment and with that I've finished every Yakuza main game. Looking at the games on my Xbox and a bit of a loss at what to do next, Mass Effect is lined up but not got the heart for another mega RPG. LJ had such a great ending and even had me chuckling when Kaito had the cat bat his hand away from the suishi 🤣 I only hit a 40% completion rate at around 48 hours so I might scoop up the rest later when I've had a bit of a break. Still got the Kaito files to come so not completely lost hope. Still a bit surprised its taken me since Summer to get this far and I still want more, what a series!

Just finished 5 ( 49 hours ) Wow what a finale! ( think i've said that about all of them ) Started off a bit hesitant with it, coming straight from Lost Judgment, but it soon won me over. Installing 6 now :D Going to take my sweet time with this one as it's last in the line - then on to Like a Dragon

• 3 weeks later...

Soooo.... I've never played any of the Yakuza games but have heard good things about them. I noticed that the Xbox store has Yakuza Zero on sale for £7.49 this week. Is Zero still the best place to start?