IGNORED

All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

I've been taking my time playing through kiwami 2, really enjoying it.

Spent quite a bit of time winning the hostess league, not sure i'll manage to complete all the gravure shoots though!

Been hunting around for PS5 Judgment and Last Judgment to play next, can't seem to find for a good price though, even used. 

PS4 Judgment only £14 on PS store right now, but think i'll wait for PS5 version to go on sale somewhere.

40 minutes ago, Totoro said:

I've been taking my time playing through kiwami 2, really enjoying it.

Spent quite a bit of time winning the hostess league, not sure i'll manage to complete all the gravure shoots though!

Been hunting around for PS5 Judgment and Last Judgment to play next, can't seem to find for a good price though, even used. 

PS4 Judgment only £14 on PS store right now, but think i'll wait for PS5 version to go on sale somewhere.

I'm sure we will have some offers on Black Friday

3 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

On Series X, only Kiwami 2 is stuck at 30fps.

All of the others are native 60 anyway apart from 6, which got an FPS boost to take it to 60. Given that Kiwami 2 and 6 essentially use the same engine, I'm surprised they didn't do that one as well, and I'd probably expect it to get the boost if they do any more titles in the future.

Oh really? Even the stock PS4 versions? Only Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 6 are stuck in 30fps land?

Like A Dragon is 30fps on PS4 (not really the kind of game where it makes much difference though).

Still plugging away at the Cabaret minigame of Yakuza Zero. I feel like Club Moon isn't going to challenge me until I progress the story though. I'll level up all the Hostesses in the meantime though.

I think the sticking point for getting the Platinum trophy in this is gonna be learning how to play Mahjong. At least Like A Dragon didn't ask for that.

26 minutes ago, Popo said:

Oh really? Even the stock PS4 versions? Only Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 6 are stuck in 30fps land?

Iirc Y5 and Zero are 60 on PS4, because they were cross-gen games between PS3 and PS4. Kiwami 1 and 2 and Y6 are 30, as PS4 native games. Judgment 1 and 2 and LAD most likely 30, they're the most advanced of the bunch - it's only a PS4 after all and they're cross-gen titles with the PS5.

I assume the remasters of 3, 4, and 5 are 60 on PS4. You'd hope so.

Reading the above posts reminded me why I didn't bother buying any of the new games on PS5, what a faff. 

On Xbox there's just the one game - and if it's on sale, you buy it and it works in Bone and Series. The idea that the PS4 version is on sale but it's separate from the PS5 version which isn't on sale, is absurd. Sorry, grumpy old man rant :)

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I wouldn't be surprised if by the time you've finished all 7, Judgment et al start being added. 

Think it was on last year so might be awhile yet. I grabbed it on Gold a weeks back for £20 so I'm all set :) Clocked 3 last night so not many left!

2 hours ago, joffocakes said:

Like A Dragon is 30fps on PS4 (not really the kind of game where it makes much difference though).

Still plugging away at the Cabaret minigame of Yakuza Zero. I feel like Club Moon isn't going to challenge me until I progress the story though. I'll level up all the Hostesses in the meantime though.

I think the sticking point for getting the Platinum trophy in this is gonna be learning how to play Mahjong. At least Like A Dragon didn't ask for that.

Long time lurker in the thread, first time poster!  Started playing the Yakuza games this time last year as a way of doing some virtual tourism in Japan as I can't get there while there's a pandemic on.  Zero and Six completed, working on Kiwami now.  As part of this I also learned how to play mahjong!  My parents gifted me a very nice set so it was a good opportunity to learn without disgorging tiles all over my carpet.

I started by googling how to play.  You want riichi mahjong as that's what's played in Japan.  In itself it's not very difficult, but learning the winning hands (yaku) can be:  You can't just get a bunch of triples etc. and hope for the best.  I always aim for the No Simples hand and if I get a Pon of Dragons on the way then so be it!

It's totally worth a dabble because of the win / lose animations of our boy Kiryu.  Declaring riichi then getting a tsumo, yeah, that's where it's at!

Now shogi, that I don't intend to learn.

Now that've mulled over Yak 3 just wanted to share more of my thoughts.. its a bloody good story. Can be a bit boring in the first few hours and feels like it focuses on Morning Glory a bit longer than it should but the main villian is one of my favs so far.  It's so damn clunky to play and its weird how they thought a Remaster should be like that when the next game looks to use the same engine but drops the tank like movement. So 3 isn't bad at all and another one I'd recommend you don't skip.

Couple of hours into 4 last night and the difference is startling. The combat is so much sharper and vastly improved, the mad blocking from everyone has gone and it feels a lot more responsive. Moving around is so much better and was starting to enjoy being able to run around the city properly again, interesting to see the different direciton they've taken with the main character but the intro for it was so fun that I can't wait to get back to the game tonight. Not many left to play :(

Don't forget that when 3 came out it was a huge step up from the previous game - it still is the biggest step up in the series. It went from an isometric game on PS2 for Y1 and 2, with a fixed camera and separate areas, to a fully open 3D environment with a third-person perspective in Y3 on PS3. It was the first proper sandbox Yakuza and the way they faithfully translated the isometric areas from the PS2 into a modern sandbox environment was mind-blowing back then. It's amazing how much they got right first time out and any remaining clunkiness was indeed fixed in 4. So what I'm saying is respect 3 for what it is and rest assured that the story is totally worth it :)

Playing them all in order really shows what an incredible job they've done with the writing. The characterisation in particular is amazing - all the core characters, but especially Kiryu, are completely true to themselves all the way through. You can see that they are shaped by their experiences and they age as the series progresses but they always feel right, you almost never get a scene where someone acts out of character or it feels like they've got a different writer in or anything. Given that we are talking about eight games, developed over a period of twenty years on three different hardware generations, spanning virtually these characters' entire lives, that is one hell of an achievement and for my mind some of the greatest writing there has ever been in games.

Coupled with that, the sheer localisation effort shouldn't be overlooked either. If it's difficult enough to convey character consistency over the best part of 20 years, it's even harder to translate that over to a western audience. They have done a fantastic job all round.

The Yakuza localisation team are the best in the business.

I recently played AI The Somnium files and it made me pine for Yakuza. That game takes place in Yakuza -like locations and tries to juggle daftness and serious segments like Yakuza and falls flat on its face at doing it. It's also relentlessly pervy and sexist to an offputting degree that makes Leisure Suit Larry look progressive and made me appreciate all the more how RGG and the localisation team have done a good job sanding off some of the more objectionable stuff in the rereleases.

I'm actually about to start AI: The Somnium Files soon, but I did put it on for a half hour to check out how it looked. The minute the main dude started talking I was like 'Hey! That's Yagami / Nanba of Yakuza fame!'

God bless. Kinda unrelated, but Yakuza means I can now spot his voicework from a million miles away.

2 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

I'm actually about to start AI: The Somnium Files soon, but I did put it on for a half hour to check out how it looked. The minute the main dude started talking I was like 'Hey! That's Yagami / Nanba of Yakuza fame!'

God bless. Kinda unrelated, but Yakuza means I can now spot his voicework from a million miles away.

I tried to play that last week thanks to Gamepass, it just hard reset my Series X everytime I started the game. 

@Lorfarius

Slow down and enjoy them before you know it you would have caught up and then have an empty void waiting for the next game.

I've enjoyed LAD (My game of the year), 0 & both Kiwami games.

But I am now going to leave 3 to 6 to enjoy next year.

I also have the 2 judgement games to enjoy. Hopefully we will get news on the next game in the series soon.

Slowed down a bit over the weekend as I don't want to get Yakuza burn so only played for 6 hours. Completed Part one and got to the wall on top of the prison with SAaej being told to find Kiryu, so sad :( The difference between this and the 3rd is astounding, the combat is perfect. It hits a bit of a wall in the second part as they slam the breaks on with the character hits but the whole thing feels much more natural and fun to tackle baddies. Trying to stay away from reviews and spoilers but a lot seemed to hint that the

Spoiler

prison escape

was long and boring but I flew straight through without problems. Quite enjoyed it but I prefer the previous guy!

I don't think I like Yakuza 4. I was enjoying the Saejima story until it hit a really boring section of cops blocking off streets. Then it becomes a real chore to get anyway and I was losing interest, was glad it tied up older parts of the story but mixed in with his slow play style became a real drag. Started on the next character and got through the first part pretty quickly but he seems pretty bland. It's great that they decided to do something different but closing off the city after Part 1 was a mistake as it just makes me want to go back to the freedom of the earlier parts. Strange how people prefer this to 3 because that was a much more fun game.

4 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I don't think I like Yakuza 4. I was enjoying the Saejima story until it hit a really boring section of cops blocking off streets. Then it becomes a real chore to get anyway and I was losing interest, was glad it tied up older parts of the story but mixed in with his slow play style became a real drag. Started on the next character and got through the first part pretty quickly but he seems pretty bland. It's great that they decided to do something different but closing off the city after Part 1 was a mistake as it just makes me want to go back to the freedom of the earlier parts. Strange how people prefer this to 3 because that was a much more fun game.

The Saejima sections are a mixed bag, but overall I enjoyed it more than 3

14 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I'm with you on this one. The Akiyama section is great but it goes downhill rapidly after that. Saejima is a lump in this game (he's much better in 5), and the third and fourth sections really feel like they've been cut to get the game completed: there are a couple of chapters that are literally no more than a short walk and a cut-scene. Being restricted to Kamurocho for the entire game feels claustrophobic, and the rooftops are a pain to navigate.

I'm not even sure if you've got to the incredibly stupid plot twist yet - which they then go and upstage with an even more stupid ending.

It is, however, one of the shortest Yakuza games if you just mainline the plot, I suggest you do that and move on to 5, which is absolutely incredible from start to finish.

27 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I'm with you on this one. The Akiyama section is great but it goes downhill rapidly after that. Saejima is a lump in this game (he's much better in 5), and the third and fourth sections really feel like they've been cut to get the game completed: there are a couple of chapters that are literally no more than a short walk and a cut-scene. Being restricted to Kamurocho for the entire game feels claustrophobic, and the rooftops are a pain to navigate.

I'm not even sure if you've got to the incredibly stupid plot twist yet - which they then go and upstage with an even more stupid ending.

It is, however, one of the shortest Yakuza games if you just mainline the plot, I suggest you do that and move on to 5, which is absolutely incredible from start to finish.

I'm up the bit after the briefcase is handed back to Akiyama after meeting him at Sky Finance. Does seem to be shifting up in gear so I'm hoping I'm not far off the end.

The rooftops are awful as it feels proper copy and paste, very easy to get lost. Another niggle it has is when I open the menu to look at the map for those, you have to tap down and select it then tap again to zoom the map in. Was much quicker in previous games and its broke my brain trying to reprogram to get used to it 🤣 The rooftops are so confusing at times its a must. Not to mention the frustration at having to keep open it to see where patrol NPCs are in parts of the story. 

The sub stories have been awful as it spends so little time with player characters you never get to really know them like in the other games. In part 3 for instance I was quite enjoying playing the hero but there's just not enough of them in the different parts and they should have expanded it more.  The opening section was amazing as it gave you all of Kamurocho but then it just becomes too locked down for hours and hours. I'm almost on Part 4 of the game at around 20 hours playtime but I haven't managed a host club since the first 5 hours. They should have rejigged it around to make it more balanced, sure the story could have handled a slight change in places instead they tease you with the awesomeness and just pile on 15 hours of boredom.

With this I'll have clocked 6 games with only 2 to go. I think I'm going to take a break to play some Forza and Halo then maybe try and finish Red Dead 2 before Christmas and jump back into the others.

21 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

With this I'll have clocked 6 games with only 2 to go. I think I'm going to take a break to play some Forza and Halo then maybe try and finish Red Dead 2 before Christmas and jump back into the others.

That's very wise. Yakuza 5 is probably as long as 2 or 3 of the other games put together and it's worth doing as much of the side content as you can because it's awesome. Take a good long Yakuza break before you jump into it and you'll appreciate it all the more.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

That's very wise. Yakuza 5 is probably as long as 2 or 3 of the other games put together and it's worth doing as much of the side content as you can because it's awesome. Take a good long Yakuza break before you jump into it and you'll appreciate it all the more.

To be honest I'm more excited for 6 than 5.. I watched the trailer 🤣

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

To be honest I'm more excited for 6 than 5.. I watched the trailer 🤣

5 is awesome and it's double awesome if, like you, you've played all the games that came before. It's filled with callbacks and references, tying up loose ends from as far back as the first game and generally feeling like a "best of Yakuza". It feels like it was meant as the last game in the Kiryu saga before they changed their minds at the very last minute.

5 and Zero also share a lot of DNA, their development overlapped. You know Zero is awesome, right? Don't you wonder how they got from 4 to Zero in terms of quality? The answer is 5. Everything you love about Zero, the quality of the writing, the amazing side stories, that's all present and correct in 5. Zero is *even better* but 5 is damn close. It's a huge game as has been said, so do make sure you're ready for the ride.