All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Chapter 5, that's when you already have freedom to explore and do side stuff right? Then I think it's simply not a game for you, nor is the rest of the series. At least you tried it!

I liked 6 and LOVED Like a Dragon (finished them both) so I can enjoy the series, but this one isn't really doing it for me for whatever reason. I'll give it another couple of chapters and maybe it'll click.

2 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

I liked 6 and LOVED Like a Dragon (finished them both) so I can enjoy the series, but this one isn't really doing it for me for whatever reason. I'll give it another couple of chapters and maybe it'll click.

Huh, that's weird. In terms of what makes Yakuza great, Zero is arguably the best or at least top 3 best Yakuza experiences. So I assumed you wouldn't like the others either. Have you played too many in a row or too close together? The series is absolutely fantastic but you do need palate cleansers and time in-between the epic experiences.

Wow, Yakuza 6 is short, isn't it? I mean I am really enjoying it and it's got one of the best stories in the whole series, but I've just looked up how many chapters there are and apparently I'm nearly at the end with only 16 hours on the clock. I spent more time than that in Yakuza 5's first location alone.

I've been doing all the sub-stories I've found, too, though I'm missing absolutely loads still. Maybe the fact they don't have the icons on the map in this one is why I've raced through it, normally I end up clearing the map as much as I can in each chapter whereas here I'm just kind of randomly stumbling across stuff.

I haven't really got stuck into the baseball or JUSTIS activities yet, though, and I haven't even found the bar conversations that I've spotted in the Awards list. So I still have tons of stuff to do, just surprised at how quickly I've got through the main plot.

The bar conversation stuff is fun, at least I thought so. I recall completing all of that. It's been awhile since I played it, back when it first appeared on PS4, but I recall the bar being a snacku just up the road from takeshi Kitano's place. Leave the Takeshi gang hideout and keep walking straight ahead until you see the snacku on the right.

I've spent quite a lot of time on Chapter 6 of Yakuza Zero because I keep insisting on finishing the minigames/sidequests before progressing but there's a ludicrous number of them. Only playing an hour every other night (it took me 6 months to finish Like A Dragon) so it's slow progress but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Finding the situational Heat moves somewhat inconsistent and I'm not as keen on the combat overall coming from Like A Dragon but when you do absolutely maul some goons with needlessly OTT Heat moves it still makes me yelp with laugher. I'll likely go for Judgment after this then back for Kiwami.

37 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

I've spent quite a lot of time on Chapter 6 of Yakuza Zero because I keep insisting on finishing the minigames/sidequests before progressing but there's a ludicrous number of them. Only playing an hour every other night (it took me 6 months to finish Like A Dragon) so it's slow progress but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Same, playing for a couple of hours every few nights but it's rare for the story to advance as I'm always chipping away at the sidequests. Probably about 3-4 hours of questing (and smacking Mr. Shakedown repeatedly) for every story objective completed.

So that's Yakuza 6 done. Slightly mixed thoughts about this one.

The main story is one of the best in the whole series, and the writing is a huge step up. It's the only Yakuza game that actually has themes. Almost every character in it is part of a busted parent/child relationship - whether real or assumed - and they're all broken in different ways. There's a great cast of surprisingly nuanced villains. Virtually no-one is who you think they are, or who they are pretending to be. The story segues expertly from Kiryu's personal story to the wider Yakuza plot, and back again. The side characters are fantastic, Nagamo and Yuta are brilliant. More than any of the others, the main story in this grabs you and doesn't let go.

Which is good, because the rest of it is... not so good. The combat is plain bad in this one. Every battle consists of mashing X to build up Heat then going into super-Kiryu mode and trying to trigger the flurry of blows QTE that does massive damage. It tries to counter this by making every battle a fight against hordes of enemies, which just makes everything more annoying as you're constantly getting hit from the side or getting lost in the scrum. It's the worst combat in the series by far (even Yakuza 3, which its perma-blocking enemies, had a pretty good system once you'd unlocked all the moves) and it's particularly disappointing that this was the game they did straight after Zero, which has probably the best. Such a shame.

And the side-activities - well, they're OK I guess. The main activities (baseball and the JUSTIS RTS game) aren't all that interesting, the internet video chat thing is plain embarrassing, and while there aren't fewer sub-stories exactly, they tend to be part of big chains like the bar chats so it feels like there's a lot less variety there. I mean it's fine, but it's one of the few Yakuza games where I don't think I can be bothered to go back and finish everything.

Still, that main story though. And that ending. Worth it for that, for sure. A great send-off for the Kiryu saga. I have no more Yakuza games left to play, and I am bereft.

12 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

So that's Yakuza 6 done. Slightly mixed thoughts about this one.

The main story is one of the best in the whole series, and the writing is a huge step up. It's the only Yakuza game that actually has themes. Almost every character in it is part of a busted parent/child relationship - whether real or assumed - and they're all broken in different ways. There's a great cast of surprisingly nuanced villains. Virtually no-one is who you think they are, or who they are pretending to be. The story segues expertly from Kiryu's personal story to the wider Yakuza plot, and back again. The side characters are fantastic, Nagamo and Yuta are brilliant. More than any of the others, the main story in this grabs you and doesn't let go.

Which is good, because the rest of it is... not so good. The combat is plain bad in this one. Every battle consists of mashing X to build up Heat then going into super-Kiryu mode and trying to trigger the flurry of blows QTE that does massive damage. It tries to counter this by making every battle a fight against hordes of enemies, which just makes everything more annoying as you're constantly getting hit from the side or getting lost in the scrum. It's the worst combat in the series by far (even Yakuza 3, which its perma-blocking enemies, had a pretty good system once you'd unlocked all the moves) and it's particularly disappointing that this was the game they did straight after Zero, which has probably the best. Such a shame.

And the side-activities - well, they're OK I guess. The main activities (baseball and the JUSTIS RTS game) aren't all that interesting, the internet video chat thing is plain embarrassing, and while there aren't fewer sub-stories exactly, they tend to be part of big chains like the bar chats so it feels like there's a lot less variety there. I mean it's fine, but it's one of the few Yakuza games where I don't think I can be bothered to go back and finish everything.

Still, that main story though. And that ending. Worth it for that, for sure. A great send-off for the Kiryu saga. I have no more Yakuza games left to play, and I am bereft.

I think 6 suffered a bit from moving to the new engine before they’d really mastered it, hence there being a lot less side activities.

I like the plot but for the final kiryu game I expected a lot more old faces which seemed a bit of a missed opportunity really.

definetly recommend the judgment games if you haven’t tried them already. 

On 01/10/2021 at 16:45, Trumpets said:

When does Zero get good? I've just finished Ch.5 and I'm still not feeling it.

On 01/10/2021 at 16:49, Mr. Gerbik said:

Chapter 5, that's when you already have freedom to explore and do side stuff right? Then I think it's simply not a game for you, nor is the rest of the series. At least you tried it!

I've previously completed a couple of Yakuza games, but am in a similar situation with Zero. I've just started Chapter 5 but so far it's just felt like a lengthy series of "run across town to this person, have a conversation and a fight. Now run across town to this other person." etc. I wouldn't mind if this was just the first hour or two, but I'm 12 hours in and don't feel like I've really been allowed to "play the game". Hopefully when it opens up in Chapter 5 it'll click for me.

4 hours ago, lordscotland said:

I think 6 suffered a bit from moving to the new engine before they’d really mastered it, hence there being a lot less side activities.

I like the plot but for the final kiryu game I expected a lot more old faces which seemed a bit of a missed opportunity really.

definetly recommend the judgment games if you haven’t tried them already. 

I always felt like Y5 was originally supposed to be the last one until they changed their mind. It really is a "best of Yakuza" with tons of callbacks to every previous entry. 

5 minutes ago, routeburn said:

I've previously completed a couple of Yakuza games, but am in a similar situation with Zero. I've just started Chapter 5 but so far it's just felt like a lengthy series of "run across town to this person, have a conversation and a fight. Now run across town to this other person." etc. I wouldn't mind if this was just the first hour or two, but I'm 12 hours in and don't feel like I've really been allowed to "play the game". Hopefully when it opens up in Chapter 5 it'll click for me.

Once it opens up it definitely is one of the best ones because of the brilliant side stuff.

On a positive note Yokoyama is the new studio lead and he's wrote the mainline games since Zero, so it has been left in good hands.

What is “Ryu Ga Gotoku”?

Two years ago when we announced Yakuza: Like a Dragon, there was a lively discussion among fans, and we were able to learn a lot from it.

Things that change; things that should be protected; things that should be connected.

Some of these were ideas that I’d never considered when we founded Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio.

Back then, we were desperately living day to day just trying to secure our future happiness. We had to sacrifice a lot to achieve that.

Perhaps, because we devoted ourselves to keep facing these challenges head-on, we were able to keep going for this long and achieved this milestone of 10 years as a studio.

The world can change in a blink of an eye. And that requires us to change as well.
It affects the way we work, the way we live, our morals and values, and even the way we make games.

Before Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio became truly established, “Ryu Ga Gotoku” was basically synonymous with “Toshihiro Nagoshi.”

However, I did not want to rely too heavily on that. So although I had little influence at the time, I kept fighting for change. Ten years have passed since then, and that resistance I had felt has changed to a feeling of comradery over time and now, I am inheriting the studio from a great creator.

In announcing the new structure of the studio, I contemplated what I should convey to everyone. Then, I remembered the words I said on August 31st ten years ago, onstage at the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio launch announcement:

“I’m proud to be standing here as a member of the studio today.”

At the time, I had an immense sense of pride in “Ryu Ga Gotoku,” and that feeling hasn’t changed today. To me, it is something I must protect.

For fans who have supported the series and for actors and development staff, the games Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio creates must be something that all can be proud of.

This is what is necessary for “Ryu Ga Gotoku” to continue to be “Ryu Ga Gotoku.”

This time, I boldly stand in front of you with the key members of the studio to express my determination just as we did ten years ago.

Though, now that you see me acting all cool in this photo, it’s going be extra uncool if the games don’t live up to our standards, so I’m going to give it my all and stay true to my words.

I’m not going to say, “please believe in us!” We’ll continue to do our best and let our games do the talking.
And I hope that you would support and watch over the future endeavors of Nagoshi and Sato, who are embarking on a new journey just as we are.

Ryu Ga Gotoku’s predecessors have passed down their beliefs and know-how to each and every staff member. You can witness it in the recently released Lost Judgment and will see it in the upcoming sequel to Yakuza: Like a Dragon which will continue Ichiban Kasuga’s story.

This game is currently being developed by producer Sakamoto and directors Horii, Ito and Mitake. I myself along with Takeuchi and Furuta are working on the story.

Whether it’s six months or one year from now, I hope to show you a new Ryu Ga Gotoku title by a new Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio that is different but still the same, and something that will spark a feeling of “this is what we are waiting for” within you. I’d like to continue on my life as a video game creator with earnestness.

Thank you very much for your continued support.

Head of Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio
Masayoshi Yokoyama

You can witness it in the recently released Lost Judgment and will see it in the upcoming sequel to Yakuza: Like a Dragon which will continue Ichiban Kasuga’s story.

I think that's the first official confirmation of this, too, isn't it? Not a surprise really but nice to know it's on the way.

Nagoshi had been moved upstairs at Sega for quite a while, I don't think he had that much direct involvement in the last few games. 

Shame to see such an important figure going to a Chinese mobile game studio though.

Netease are more than a 'mobile game studio', and I don't know why they'd need Nagoshi to make anything like that anyway, so I assume they're looking at branching out more into the more traditional single-player/console space.

They did make investments in the likes of Quantic Dream a while back, which might suggest some interest there. 

I have played exactly two games in the Yakuza series: 0 and more recently Like a Dragon.

If I were to suddenly get a hankering to play another Yakuza game, how would people rank the others in the series, including the Judgement games?

Personally I'd say go to Judgment next.

if you want a Kiryu game you could probably go straight to Kiwami 2. You can try and play then chronologically, but just be aware Kiwami feels like a massive step back from 0 and while there's enjoyment to be had in 3-5, there's also a lot of roughness and missing QoL improvements.

I finished Like a Dragon last night, after having a 5 month break 75% of the way through. As much as I love it the combat got extremely tiresome and most of the time I ended up putting it on auto battle. Despite this it is still up there with 0, Kiwami 2 and 5 as my favourites in the series. 

Went straight into Judgment as I got the Series X version in the trading section. It’s made a great first impression and looks incredible. Genuinely excited to play more today. 

I’ve always thought 6 was a nice little ‘afterwards’, following the immense amount of batshittery that went on in five! 

It’s my favourite out of them all :)

Edit. That’s not to say what goes on isn’t bonkers, but it’s a little toned down I guess.