All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

Started Yakuza Zero recently (well, about a month ago) and I'm about 12 hours in, on Chapter 2. Felt a bit janky at first compared to Like A Dragon, especially the camera, but I'm comfortable with it now and having a wonderful time. Not as keen on the combat yet but I've barely unlocked any skills. The disco and slot car minigames are pretty cool.

3 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

It's certainly worth giving 5 a go yes. It is a small technical step up on 4 and the story is good but there are a couple of sections you will hate if you have a low tolerance for jankiness.

Reveal hidden contents

Kiryu's taxis and hunting with Saejima

I personally loved both things in that spoiler. Completed the entire side stories associated with both, which I believe is entirely optional.

• 3 weeks later...

I've downloaded Zero and enjoyed a couple of hours this morning. I'm ok with the subtitles but after LAD it's a shame no English language option. Does any of the later games have English Dub?

15 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I've downloaded Zero and enjoyed a couple of hours this morning. I'm ok with the subtitles but after LAD it's a shame no English language option. Does any of the later games have English Dub?

Iirc LAD was the first after Yakuza 1 on PS2 with a dub. Maybe Judgment 1 too?

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Iirc LAD was the first after Yakuza 1 on PS2 with a dub. Maybe Judgment 1 too?

The remastered collection for 3 to 5 also have no dub?

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

That is a shame, what a missed opportunity.

They're just remasters. Keep in mind that back then it was miracle that we got Yakuza 3 at all. Subbed was the only way it was going to come west, if *at all*. Then Yakuza 4 was even more in doubt, but thankfully it made the jump. And that was going be the last ever Yakuza game in the west. Sega had given up basically, 5 was too much trouble to be worth it and Zero was (as indicated in an interview) "too Japanese", with the 80s time period making it even more alien for us westerners. It was only through the efforts of a Sony Playstation subdivision (I forgot the name) that polled players at the start of the PS4 era which games to go get, and players voting for Yakuza en masse, that 5 eventually arrived years later. That was a massive massive lucky happening for us - a newly formed localisation team then worked miracles on Zero and subsequently Yakuza became a deserved success in the west finally. But in the era you're referring to it was all but dead over here. Subbed was the only way those games could arrive here at all, and even then it was looking extremely unlikely.

I'm grateful that I do get the opportunity to enjoy the first six games. I enjoyed LAD very much that I felt I had neglected the Yakuza franchise and I needed to correct that mistake.

Yes I would love a dubbed version but subbed is better than nothing and I will enjoy playing these six games over the next months.

For what it's worth, with the current success it looks like every new Yakuza going forward will include a dub. And with Judgment 2, a Yakuza game will release simultaneously worldwide for the first time ever! We've come such a long way. I remember back in Yakuza 3 days it was just me and maybe 5 other forumites in the Yakuza thread. We were vocal and passionate, but these wonderful games were still widely ignored - even here, on a forum with enthusiasts. I couldn't be happier with the current situation :)

I genuinely can't imagine playing the Yakuza games with an English dub. For me they are all about immersion in a different culture, and having the authentic Japanese voiceover is integral to that. After spending 100 hours in Yakuza 5 I reckon I've even picked up a few phrases :)

1 minute ago, Garwoofoo said:

I genuinely can't imagine playing the Yakuza games with an English dub. For me they are all about immersion in a different culture, and having the authentic Japanese voiceover is integral to that. After spending 100 hours in Yakuza 5 I reckon I've even picked up a few phrases :)

Yeah, same here. These games feel so much like actually being in Japan, that everybody speaking English would ruin the immersion and atmosphere for me. But that's a very personal thing. People should play it the way they prefer, it's not 'wrong' to prefer the dubs. And if that opens the series to a wider audience, that's a big plus.

By all accounts the dub in LAD is pretty great. I haven't tried it myself, but I hear nothing but good things.

The dub’s great - everyone gets a lot of character and flavour, and none of it is jarring. I’m definitely not against subs but with the right casting a dub can avoid cringe.

I expect Yakuza 9 will have a sub story about a kid wanting Inchiban to stop his favourite game developer leaving his company which results in said game developer telling the kid it’s for the best really. 

There's SO many people involved with these games. There's a very real possibility we won't notice any difference. Maybe if he's like a showrunner type person that the one in line will do things Nagoshi wouldn't, a different style of curation, that could backfire maybe. But things will probably continue as is. 

After moaning about and giving up on 3 and 4. 5 has been fantastic so far. I've done the first Kiryu and Saejima sections and am now on the utterly bonkers Haruka section. This is a total return to the form of 0 and KW2. I'm glad I stuck with it.

Just ordered 0 £14.99 from amazon. Going to start it when I finish Last Guardian.

I see it's a 18 which is a shame as was hoping to play it with my son.

Not played any of the series, but it's always caught my interest since the first version as I loved Shenmue back when it was released on the DC, and it seems to have similar vibes.

Definitely not child friendly content! Minor illustrative spoilers:

Spoiler

Plot lines about schoolgirls selling their panties, a randy bloke who jacks it round the clock and hostess bars full of scantily clad women:

These are all things over which we as gentlefolk can enjoy a good laugh in the parlour, over some Sherry and tobacco, but they don’t contribute to a very wholesome father-son dynamic. 

1 hour ago, Orion said:

After moaning about and giving up on 3 and 4. 5 has been fantastic so far. I've done the first Kiryu and Saejima sections and am now on the utterly bonkers Haruka section. This is a total return to the form of 0 and KW2. I'm glad I stuck with it.

I think 5 is my second favourite after 0. Just so much goodness. 

1 hour ago, Dark Soldier said:

Do I play Like a Dragon, or Judgment first, lads?

I've done Zero on PS4 and really enjoyed it.

Both Judgment and LAD are spin-offs of the Kiryu saga (which runs from Yakua Zero to 6). Both are excellent jumping on points for newcomers. Judgment is a brawler like Zero. LAD is a turn-based affair like a traditional JRPG but otherwise pure Yakuza - the turn based aspect is hilarious in that typical Yakuza way.

So erm, play both I guess? Sorry!

On 29/08/2021 at 17:22, Garwoofoo said:

Nandayo!