All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

On 18/03/2021 at 19:19, Yobo Ahoy said:

'Great' is a bit much. It's a fun spin-off and seeing Ryuji with a machine gun for an arm is worth the admission price alone, but the controls are SO bad. 

The controls are only bad if you approach it as a Western cover based shooter. This is more akin to a third person House of the Dead, you don't cover, you stand there and shoot the zombies! I much prefer this approach to the likes of Gears of War that I can't stand. Then you have all the usual Yakuza shenanigans. It's great.

I did enjoy 3, but I couldn’t help but find the visuals tough to take at times. It could really do with a substantial remake - I’d gladly buy a Kiwami 3 for Series X / PS5.

On to 4, which clearly shares the same foundations, but has far better texture work and lighting while doing away with the waxy sheen and bloom. I’m not far in but while it’s back to Kamurocho, there’s a verticality that I understand is unique to this game, and that’s a nice differentiator.

I picked up Yakuza Zero in a sale and the only other Yakuza game I played was 1, many years ago. Is it worth watching a recap of 1's story beforehand or are they not that connected? I can remember almost nothing about it!

2 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I picked up Yakuza Zero in a sale and the only other Yakuza game I played was 1, many years ago. Is it worth watching a recap of 1's story beforehand or are they not that connected? I can remember almost nothing about it!

Zero is a prequel to 1, so you can happily play it without any knowledge. 

1 minute ago, Alan Stock said:

If I were you I'd play 0 first and then, if you enjoy it and want more, either play Yakuza Kiwami (remake of 1) next or at least watch a recap of that and move on to Kiwami 2.

22 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Start with Zero.

I’ve been playing Zero on and off for a few months now. And it’s getting to the point where the fights are becoming quite tough. Only, the way they’re getting tough seems to be giving enemies the ability to stun-lock the player with big wind-up attacks, then wail on them while they’re incapacitated; moves that can’t be interrupted; and moves that break your guard or can’t be dodged. It’s starting to feel unfair and I fear for the safety of my windows, which as yet haven’t been tested to see if they’re controller-proof. 

Am I doing it wrong? Because the fighting is otherwise quite good fun and yes, just like what I imagine a 3D streets of Rage might be like. 

27 minutes ago, Popo said:

I’ve been playing Zero on and off for a few months now. And it’s getting to the point where the fights are becoming quite tough. Only, the way they’re getting tough seems to be giving enemies the ability to stun-lock the player with big wind-up attacks, then wail on them while they’re incapacitated; moves that can’t be interrupted; and moves that break your guard or can’t be dodged. It’s starting to feel unfair and I fear for the safety of my windows, which as yet haven’t been tested to see if they’re controller-proof. 

Am I doing it wrong? Because the fighting is otherwise quite good fun and yes, just like what I imagine a 3D streets of Rage might be like. 

I was having a tough time with the combat, then realised I had an item equipped that made enemies much more aggressive. You might have the same thing equipped. 

3 hours ago, Popo said:

Your abilities, weapons, strength etc do come into play. Make sure you have the strongest stuff you've come across equipped, and that you're leveling your characters appropriately. Oh, and heat mode actions are always your friend. One of my buds never used them, and I found it jaw droppingly insane that he wouldn't take every opportunity to hurl someone face first into a concrete pole.

Breaker style with Majima is his easy mode, and I found Beast to be Kiryu's best aside from a few one on ones. Guns are the biggest pain in the ass, but they only happen occasionally.

And if you're really having problems, stock up on Staminans and glug them down whenever you need to. You should be able to heal clean through any fight in the game, and with the real estate proceeds you're unlikely to run out of money. (just in case you're mainly critical pathing it, do not overlook the real estate minigame)

• 3 weeks later...

Nice share @Sarlaccfood - I’m glad I’m not the only one who has issues with the series combat. To paraphrase one of the presenters - the game throws a lot of meat bags at you, for whom a simple (Xbox controller) XXX-Y combo followed by heat action is sufficient to dispatch, but fails to prepare you for tougher fights where that doesn’t work anymore. 

I also liked this quote - “[the games] do seem to teach people that 90% of bad people in the world can be punched so hard that they reevaluate their life choices.” :lol:

9 hours ago, Popo said:

I also liked this quote - “[the games] do seem to teach people that 90% of bad people in the world can be punched so hard that they reevaluate their life choices.” :lol:

Haha yeah I also love the part about the difference in face quality and if you can see the pores on a character’s skin you know to keep an eye on them as they’ll be a main character. 

I've always loved the old school Yak combat. I've always just thought of it as the spiritual successor to 2D brawlers (and SoR4 has shown there is still an appetite for this), and especially once all of the quicksteps and dodges are available I've always found it great fun. At least it's unique and not just another Arkham clone.

Having just finished (not finished) Like A Dragon, I'd say best game of the series is now between Zero and LAD. But maybe I'm just a sucker for starting points and origin stories. They feel like a full story as opposed to an episode and the journey of discovery works better, for characters as well as (in the case of LAD) game systems.

Getting near the end of Yakuza 2. Getting a bit burned out with the side activities, but the main story is great. Love Kaoru Sayama. Why didn't we get more of her in other games or even a spin-off (don't spoil me if she dies)? 

Spoiler

Also nice to spend time with Haruka again. But damn, that girl is tough. Kidnapped again, seeing a guy cut in half and thrown out of a window before her eyes. But she still want to go eat gyoza with Uncle Kiryu.

Four and a half hours into YAK LIKE A DRAG and i still only have two punch moves ! :lol:

It's a good job i'm familiar with this series and know how good it can get, because if this was my first one it'd be sacked right off. I like a good cutscene as much as the next guy but this is some seriously slow going. I haven't even spent time pissing around doing side stuff yet, just purely focusing on getting off the leash of the opening chapters. A shame because after Judgment and this, RGG games are getting so indulgent with the cutscenes i am at the point I'd never want to replay them.

Like a Dragon's pacing makes Zero look like Bloodsport by comparison 

Just now, cassidy said:

Can someone explain why i can't appear to buy a digital copy of Judgment on the Xbox store? Is it a physical only release? 

It's not up yet on either the Xbox or PS store. Sometimes games don't show until the day of release - it'll be up later today. Annoying, I know.